Personal View site logo
Refining 16x9 NTSC 30P SD Equivalent WVGA MPEG Mode
  • Asked this before but thread got closed before answer: Is there a setting in Ptools 3.61d that controls MPEG compression for WVGA 848X480 mode? When I tweak 480p settings in PTools it doesn't seem to affect WVGA mode only VGA. I know I can resize VGA mode to shoot an 848x480 frame but when I play back footage set that way the pixel aspect is always 4:3 and not true SD 16:9 footage which is what it is in WVGA mode. Also, in VGA mode the audio is laid down at 16k which is not very usable. If there is no current way now to adjust WVGA can it be added to new ptools? WVGA is a very handy way to shoot SD 16:9 30P video on the fly for some jobs when you need it and don't want to down rez from HD but the GH2 default compression settings for WVGA suck. I also tried downsizing the frame size for 720p mpeg mode to 848x480 but the data rate was massive compared to what I think it would be if we could target the WVGA mode directly. Vitaliy?
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • >I also tried downsizing the frame size for 720p mpeg mode to 848x480 but the data rate was massive compared to what I think it would be if we could target the WVGA mode directly. Vitaliy?

Just change compresion settings if you like for 720p.
    Otherwise I see no point to use 848, as you can downres 1280 mode.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

One advantage of targeting WVGA mode directly is that you'd have true 16:9 SD 30P on the fly with a menu setting rather than a cumbersome downrez or a reflashing to change the 720p mpeg settings.