Personal View site logo
12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic lens topic
  • 492 Replies sorted by
  • @RRRR +1 on the cheapish optics but a cinezoom haha no that wont happen, my lens is about the rpice of this lens. i'll take a look at it when its out and maybe when the price'll drop :) atm i'm looking for a nice copter setup ^^

• @klem007

Just open your purse and get a cine-zoom.. ;) I too was expecting a fast lens but when you put together the wish-list on here you find yourself in the cine-zoom department; the production costs for such a lens would make it very expensive for enthusiast end users who want a good zoom lens for stills and video.

It would be cool if Samyang, Tokina (or other cheapish optics manufacturer) decided to make a moderate zoom with cine specs, though.

• i was very keen to get this lens but its a bit of a let down after the long wait. 2.8 ? meh. extending zoom? very meh. i gues i'll be sticking with my primes, to bad would have wanted a nice zoom lens

• I've now seen several sharpness tests that all have different results. So much for the science of testing. But the samples look good. I suppose as others have noted the lens could be out-resolving the sensor, which would be very cool. OTOH, there could be sample variance. Wait and see.

• It sais electronicly coupled manual focus on dpreview. Bummer.

• Seems like the lens resolves more detail than the gf5.

• Any word on stepless aperture? Or is that something that must be implemented on camera level (read GH3..) ?

• Nice lens specs! But for the not-shallow-DOF I usually want, I'm not missing f < 4 - I so I'll keep using the "older" X lens...

• @ feha overpriced?

http://www.cameranu.nl/en/objectieven/olympus/micro-ft-vast-brandpunt/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-45mm-f-1-8-zilver/h128_20174_201704/

Try buying a 90mm f 1.8 eq. for that price in europe....

Panasonic prices are always over the edge when launched, but at street level they always go down.... check the 14-140mm

http://www.cameranu.nl/nl/objectieven/panasonic/zoom-micro-ft/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-f-4-0-5-8/h1553_5323_49823/

same price but better, accordingly with dxo, than say a nikon

http://www.cameranu.nl/nl/objectieven/nikkor/zoom/nikkor-af-s-dx-18-200mm-f-3-5-5-6g-vr-if-ed-type-ii/h126_509_55303/

and the size of the sensor, for me, is a plus. The GH2 and OM-D EM5 turned out just the right size...

• if it's WA quality is close to the Oly 12mm, I'm in.

• It's too short to be inner zoom.

The price might go sub $1000 this year. Already 30% discounted in Japan.

• that looks like a tasty little package

• I thought this lens was supposed to have an internal zoom?

• Compares well with the Olympus 12-50...

I want one!

• If it is sharper than a 12mm then that is one serious piece of glass and I'll get one. Hope the sharpening can be defeated. Curious to see the resolution with a low AA cam like the E-PL1 or the New Olympus cam.

• We should be careful when comparing it to the mZD 12mm F/2.0 because those charts were obtained from JPEG @ E-P3 while these are from RAW @ GX1. We can't fully predict how will they transfer.

Having said that I believe this lens redefines the system as a PRO one.

• @VK, well traditionally I guess is the case, just wondered if Pana could make a matching 1.4 extender, maybe not ;-(

• @adventsam

I have big doubts that this 1.4x converter works good with anything except few long lenses, mostly primes.

• If Panasonic could make a proper 1.4 converter like this http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/extenders/extender_ef_14x_ii/index.aspx then we would have a whole range of options from the new x series too, ie constant f4's 30-90 and 90-250 with OIS.

• @Alfi666, well I'd agree if the Toyota was specced as a BMW.. or Toyota.. But the fact is this is a weather sealed lens that seems to perform suberbly well, including OIS, substantially smaller than a full frame system (which is one of the reasons why M43 is so attractive).. There is no BMW with the specs like this Toyota.

Maybe this lens won't appeal to the casual m43 user, but it is certainly bang on for photography enthusiasts and videographers in particular. "Less DOF control" than full frame as dpreview states, equalling it to f5.6, is just another way to think of smaller frame = less = worse etc.. Sure, you cannot do as shallow DOF with m43, but you don't have to stop down as much to have the whole frame (or close to the whole frame), tack sharp, in focus either - meaning it's easier to control low light conditions at reasonable iso.

Obviously this all depends on how the cameras handles high sensitivities for stills and vid respectively.. Not to mention detail when it comes to video. (short DOF was the saving grace for first gen full frame & aps-c dslrs)

OK. rant over. Im sure you don't subscribe to dpreviews ideas and conceptions wholeheartedly so some of the stuff above had nothing or little to do with our discussion! ;)

• i agree the MFT lenses are overpriced as there is no big competition ...

I don't see many overpriced lenses really.

• @Alfi666 , i agree the MFT lenses are overpriced as there is no big competition ...

• @feha: You are right, AF101 is considered as PRO, but let's be realistic again... the sensor is the downside of that camera.

I'm not saying that this is a bad lens at all... I was just expecting price about 600-700Eur... at this price point, I don't find myself investing in m4/3 glass, but I understand that for some it might be worth the price.

• I expected non-extending at zoom and made of light metal barrel at that price.