Personal View site logo
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • adventsam, I don't know what your problem is with me. You've got this axe to grind, and when I don't respond to you on DPReview in what you view as an adequate amount of time, you now go around to other sites calling me a cheat? Ever think that, I don't know, I might actually have a job and family and can't drop everything to get you your histograms right away?

Anyway, histograms have been posted in your 'call out' thread on DPReview.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=41483558

As to the other comments. Blowing out the channels is a perfectly valid way to test the high and low limits of dynamic range. Why? Well, if I cause a good portion of the image to clip the highlights, I can see what brightness values WEREN'T clipped, and where the pixels become saturated. This gives an upper bound to the brightness levels the sensor can record. Similarly, blocking out a good portion of the shadows well let me see how dark the sensor can record and still yield valuable data. Obviously you wouldn't shoot like that, but the test was designed to stress the sensors equally. Also, Adventsam..you keep saying that ISO 200 on the OMD is like ISO 100 on the GH2 and you have NOTHING to back that up. In fact, in my experience thus far with both cameras, the OMD is exposing about 1/3 stop brighter at the same ISO and settings on the same scene as the GH2 is, when done under completely constant light.

Anyway, look at the histograms in the link above if you are interested.

Thanks, Jordan Steele

• Also - The reason I did both shadows and highlights is so that if there were small variations in the exposure between the two due to ISO differences, that you would either end up inconclusive (for instance, if the E-M5 had had better shadow detail, but worse highlights, it wouldn't tell you much)...but since the E-M5 was better in BOTH instances, it's pretty clear to me.

This test was not intended to replace specific scientific measurement...it was to see how the cameras reacted in the real world...and one of the things (about the only thing really) that wasn't up to snuff on the GH2 was that it would clip highlights quite easily, to the point that they couldn't be pulled back in RAW. I have not had that issue with the E-M5...in fact, it has been very, very difficult to blow highlights in everyday shooting. (and I noticed this was not at the expense of the shadows). The test was basically to confirm to me that I wasn't seeing what I wanted to in my daily shooting, and sure enough, it's pretty clear the E-M5 holds more detail in the highlights as well as in the shadows.

• OK, cool! Look at the histo's, for the HL the GH2 is clearly over-blown by a margin over OMD HL. In the shadows they look similar but the image is clearly darker on the GH2! It suggests, metering-tone curve are very different? you cant draw any conclusions, I'm sorry if I appear to be have having a go, promise I'm not but you need to see beyond fascination with your new toys? I am not seeing how you proved OMD has more DR, with the histo its not black and white.

• The histos don't show detail, they just show how many pixels have a value. It seems the GH2 has pixels in the lower bit, but they're not as usable as the EM5, so maybe overall DR isn't too different (Based on histo), but usable DR is better on the EM5.

• Back on video? would you buy an OMD for video or a hybrid? For me its a non entity, the stills ratio of the GH2 are more flexible, native 16:9 and 3:2 ratio's. The video ratios are native. The dr seems up there, I don't trust Oly, they appear to be a bit of a copy-cat company that dresses things up as their own. Why they have so many loyal followers is beyond me.

• My take is that Oly while they seem like a copycat they're actually quite the innovators, though they've relied on Panasonic for sensors.

People like Olympus because they have really good jpg processing/color, this relates to video as well. People also like them because their innovation in new technologies that often are thinking outside the box (like in body stabalization, live view, etc...). Other people like Olympus because of history, and they like the asthetic/style of thier bodies. Oh, and others like Olympus because they are amazing at making glass, they've just gotten started with m43 (with the 12mm and 45mm), but in fourthirds they had some of the best performing lens' out there, even back in the day of Pen/OM the lens' were high class. People still use OM glass on Canons because of their rendering.

Indeed though, the GH2 is a better hybrid if video is important. But it seems that Olympus has a lot of potential if they could just cater a touch more on video. Give us more framerates, audio in/out, and it'd have some big advantages over the GH2 (like in body stabilization and a better image)

• Olympus EM-5 test images, special for pixel peepers :-)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A7.HTM

• E-M5 High isos jpeg i see better that nex7 and almost APS-C http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

• Any idea about the origen of the sensor of this jewel?

• @Manu4Vendetta Top Secret. First rumours from panasonic G3 or GX1, but if see test i think not possible or olympus mod is brutal.

• as I said a few days For use IS with manual lenses in E-M5:

Dandelion Chip: http://peleng8.com/af-lens-adapters/af-chip-dandelion-micro-4-3-af-chip-dandelion-iv-generation-for-micro-4/3.html

i not tested, only i see video and put info here.

• other option is use MMF2 adapter to 4/3 and use 4/3 adapters with chip included

• I don't think the MMF2 adapter have any electronics in them, they just physical connections to allow the lens contacts to pass to the camera

• @Dazza not only MMF2 need MMF2 + Adapter with chip or direct adapter m4/3, but i think not exist adapters m4/3 with chip

• Was this shot handheld? At what focal distance, was it 300mm or lower?

• yes handheld (with help support window) in some sequences 200-300mm in others 300mm. and not stabilised in postprocess .

• Do you have a GH2 as well? That would be nice to see an A-B comparison between the two cameras at 300mm fully zoomed in. What is superior: Panasonic's in-lens stabilization or Olympus' in-camera one?

• For test you say not need GH2, GH2 not have IS in body. Only is need test IS of E-M5 and IS of 100-300mm.

Previous youtube video have 100-300mm IS active and IS of E-M5 inactive,

with this other have IS of E-M5 active and 100-300mm inactive:

I think very similar, but i prefer IS of E-M5

• Indeed Koolphoto, I would love to see the full potential of this camera like Reid. Let's hope Vitaliy says something...

• pls delete!

• Good review by Andrew. Saddly i only go for OM-D EM-5 if Vitaly or someone made 24p possible. And this with a high bitrate would be insane!

If Vitaly needs any donations for this, i will contribute ...no doubts

• I would double up the $100, if the em5 is taken on by Vitaliy!

• Yea, I'm donating $50 straight away. Vitaly, can you take a look at it? :) Also, I'm trying to mod the sema1 mic adapter so it doesn't occupy the hotshoe. I'll post my findings on that!! A proper firmware could really make this a dream vidcam!

• @neveraholiday @rojover

Guys, I don't have any plans to look at this. Period.