Personal View site logo
12mm f/1.6 Noktor
  • 739 Replies sorted by
  • Was not sure what to do after reading this topic but made up my mind and bought it (in The Netherlands) today for 399 euro, hope to recieve it in good condition tomorrow or monday.

• Finally got one via a private owner who used it a couple months. Mint condition. Sharp enough to be usuable at f1.6 in video. A bit soft, but no reason why wide shots can't be at f2 -f4 for greater sharpness. Some ugly flare artifacts at F1.6 when panning camera, including boomerang and worm shapes, cats eyes at F2, will post pics later. Disappears slightly above f2 -around f2.3. If camera is still, I can avoid it. From what I read, the lens was designed for F2, but after requests from users/camera forums, they decided to let it go to f1.6 despite the glitches. Overall, nice colours and that extra 2mm compared to the Lumix 14-45, makes a difference. Seems to look OK in ETC mode on a HDTV screen.

• My lens was delivered yesterday. I breathed a sigh of relief that it was not in pieces and didn't have anything rattling inside of it after reading about @jackbayer 's broken lens experience.

Like the other posters who've received their lenses in the last couple of months, I am disappointed in how soft the image becomes when focused to infinity at f1.6 and while f2 is somewhat better it really has to be f2.8+ before I would call it sharpish. I notice that it is still sharp for close focusing at maximum aperture but anything more than 1-2 meters away is destined to be mush. I've gone back to re-read some of the reviews of this lens that came out about 6-7 months ago and all of them are as positive as I was remembering with no one mentioning problems with focusing to infinity. Looking at image samples from those early reviews, particularly Steve Huff's amusment park shots, look much better than what I have been able to get from this lens. It makes me wonder if the pre-production lenses and/or the first production run weren't built with greater care than what they've been turning out since receiving those positive initial reviews. I'll have to play around with it more and shot some video before I decide ultimately how usable it is.

• The lighter picture is @ F1.6, can't see individual bricks. The darker pic is F2, bricks are visible.

P1010965b.jpg
    4608 x 3456 - 1M
    P1010964b.jpg
    4608 x 3456 - 2M
  • Has anyone successfully tried a follow focus with this lens? I have the fifty dollar follow focus from hondo garage with the gear attachment, and was looking at the Lanparte gear ring: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251008672222

Think it would work with the 12mm's small focus ring diameter (approx. 45mm)?

• @jleo Congratulations! You've got much more usable lens to mine. For video I believe your lens is just fine and pretty much similar to earlier positive samples. I sent my lens back to Slrmagic awaiting for refund.

• @fosterchen Yes you can get the Lanparte gear ring to work with a follow focus on this lens. You have to be careful to mount it with the adjustment knob facing away from the camera or it will get caught.

P5241683.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 3M
    P5241685.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    P5241690.JPG
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • Thanks @CrazyPete for the photos. I just contacted the ebay seller about this, and he said the Lanparte gear ring doesn't work with smaller lens diameters...I'm gonna go with what I see here!

• @fosterchen it is a little awkward getting everything to mesh with this lens. Because the focus ring is at the back, I had to slide the camera to the front of the quick release plate and then clamp the quick release plate as far forward as I could securely get it, to get the gear ring to engauge with the follow focus gear. I'm not sure that you could get this to work if you were also trying to use a matte box (I don't have one to try) - but I had the camera base as close to the rails as it could go in order to get the gears to line-up.

• Got the Slr magic some days ago and I believe it also got the infinity focus problem like @dream_beam , no loose parts or what so ever like @Jackbayer. Did some test from a tripod, focus set to infinity. What do you guys think? I got still a few days left to return the lens as a D.O.A

1.6.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 7M
    2.0.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 7M
    2.8.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 7M
    4.0.JPG
    4976 x 2800 - 8M
  • Maybe the file size is too large.

• @RawB The file size is certainly large... I'd say that it depends a lot on what you want to film - probably not trees under good lighting from about 10 meters away. If you are going to use it in confined spaces where what you are shooting is no more than 2-3 m away, then you can avoid this focus at infinity problem and the lens is simply soft but probably usable.

Have you tried shooting anything in low light? I will try to do some tests shots this evening but I'm starting to wish I had the Olympus 12 mm. Even if the iso were doubled I think it might give cleaner images.

If you return it, will you ask for your money back or for a replacement?

• @CrazyPete its not trees I want to film but houses and other building. So a next test should be on a house. @Jleo building picture looks real sharp at 2.0 ! What iso setting do you recommend for making a test picture? I will try a lowlight test tomorrow. When returned I want a replacement. On this test picture, iso 320 , f4.0 I also think the focus is still at about 2 a 2.5 mtrs instead of infinity.

f4.0.JPG
    3520 x 1984 - 5M
  • Some have clockwise focusing to infinity, other counter clockwise.. I prefer mine.

Slr Magic.jpg
    450 x 337 - 34K
    Mine Slr Magic.jpg
    450 x 269 - 52K
  • Hi @RawB. That's interesting about the clockwise and counter clockwise focusing. As for what iso you should do your test shots at, I think you should try to mimic your intended use. I agree that your brick wall picture looks to be focused between the nearest patch of sun light and the vertical painted brick. Do you think your focus is even across the lens? I've noticed that when focusing to infinity, with my lens the left side of the image is worse than the right side. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

• Financial result experimenting with Noktor 12mm 1.6 totaled USD 177 ( USD 499 paid minus refund USD 387 + shipping costs of USD 65 to send the lens back)

Thanks to SLRmagic for refund processed anyway.

Why I bought the lens (pros):

• I need wide lens for my GH2, mainly for indoor shooting + handheld outdoor,

• video samples presented in web did show little to none distortion despite of wide 12mm,

• click less aperture,

• mft mount,

• 1.6 aperture as an "option" for low light conditions though 2.0 is acceptable as well,

• mechanical manual focus is my preference comparing to Oly's 12mm 2.0 fly-by-wire,

• price (not cheap, although still less expensive than Oly 12mm).

Why did I return the lens to producer:

• the lens received is NOT sharp at all. The image is blurred all over at 1.6 aperture to 8.0 and further. Thus 1.6 max aperture of the lenses not an advantage at all. Even 8.0 aperture is not usable.

Why did I ask for refund:

• SLRmagic after testing the returned lens informed that the lens was found in 100% perfectly calibrated conditions. They see no problem with my lens. They believe the reason of blurred images should be mount of my GH2 and to fix this I have to apply to Panasonic or... to try another 12mm lens from SLRmagic. I will not dispute about looseness of GH2 mount, though it is pretty much tight, however I do not see any possibilities to calibrate SLRmagic's 12mm lens to my camera without sending my GH2 body to them. It will cost both time and money that is why it is not an option for me and definitely I am no going 'to try another' lens, because the second one my be faulty again.

If you believe that your 12mm Noktor/SLRMAGIC is not satisfactory, than before sending the lens back try the following tips suggested by SLRmagic:

There are three things we could think of that cause you to not get good results. However, we do not know how you set the camera.

1) Mount spring is loose. It depends on the camera and nothing could be done unless you go to Olympus or Panasonic.

2) Set EV to negative for stronger contrast.

3) Set NR to negative for Film Mode for Lumix camera or Set NR to off for Olympus. NR=Noise Reduction

UNQUOTE

If you consider to buy this lens I strongly recommend you to:

• buy from reputable dealer who does not charge silly "restocking fees",

• the best way to buy is to find a store having several Noktor 12mm lenses at once to choose the best performing.

Will I buy this lens again?:

• yes, if the price is USD150 or lower, and if I may choose the best performing one at location store.

Sorry for the long post, hopefully it will be useful and helpful to take right decision.

• It seems like there's a split of 50/50 about this lens. I understand it's a bit soft and that's the appeal for cine work, which is all I do, but I'm starting to wonder if it's too much of a gamble in terms of craftsmanship. Mine is supposed to ship in a week. We'll see if that happens. My main question, is that $550 better spent somewhere else like the Tokina 11-16 or putting it towards the Voigtlander 17.5? Hopefully everyone that has received one lately can chime in about any real world video testing they've done. Thanks!

• More explanations received from producer which may help to understand how 'softness'/'unfocused image' may be fixed:

There is one more possibility for infinity and IQ issues. Sometimes it is the lens mount. Sometimes it is the image sensor position. The AF100 does not have this issue as much as the GH2. The SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 12mm T1.6 is calibrated for the exact flange distance. People with a camera calibrated correctly does not have any issues and like the exact calibration. People with camera slightly off will experience what you have. The GH2 is a prosumer camera and not made like the AF100 in terms of precision.

A solution we have for you is it to calibrate the lens to be slightly beyond infinity like lens by other manufactures to avoid issues you have but you will not have the convenience to have perfect hyperfocal shooting and need to rely on the live view.

• @dream_beam So now after months they are telling people that the user has to calibrate a lens for a system they made it for? How come non of the other lenses out there have this problem? Do they say how to calibrate the lens?

• @RawB, it seems that most all of the test lenses that photobloggers got had the focus on reversed (like in your first picture), compared to the lenses now shipping (mine is the same way as yours)...I've asked Andrew at SLR Magic why this is, so waiting to hear back from him. I have a Canon 50mm f1.4 and it focuses infinity turning counterclockwise like our 12mm.

• To make the aperture scale and the distance scale increment or decrement in the same direction... like many other manual lenses.

• While I don't want to give an excuse for sloppy manufacturing, there is a possibility they are right about minor misalignment on the flange distance in the GH2. A very wide angle lens is more critical in this respect. To know if this is really the reason, we'll have to wait for experiences with the Voigtlander 17.5mm, coming from a manufacturer with an excellent reputation for their precision.

BTW, Nikon is focusing the other way round from anybody else…

• @dream_beam I've gotten the same answer from SLR Magic, that any problems with focusing to infinity are the fault of the camera. That the mounting springs aren't tight enough (the lens certainly feels tight on my mount). That if I had an AF100 then I wouldn't have any problems because that camera is built to professional standards... I experience the focus to infinity issue on both a GH2 and an Olympus E-PL2. The only other time I've seen something similar was when using a cheap adaptor for FD mount lenses - a better adapter fixed the problem.

@vicharris at this point, I do think your money would be better spent elsewhere. If you can find a brick and mortar store that carries this lens then perhaps you can try several copies and see for yourself or at least have an easier route for return as @dream_beam suggested. Buying direct from SLR Magic just seems like a roll of the dice in terms of what you'll get and I'm regretting it.

SLR Magic is going to switch lenses with me and I hope that I will get a good copy the second time around. I am paying still more in postage which pisses me off but to make up for it, they have offer to throw in free of charge their step-up ring - a claimed $80 value (I can only shake my head)... They are switching lenses with me not because I was able to convince them that the lack of focus at infinity was an issue worthy of their concern but because I showed them something else that they say they have never seen before. When I stop my lens down to T8-T11 the upper right and left corners go black when shooting in 4:3 format.

Test pictures taken on my E-PL2, ISO 200, shutter speed adjusted to obtain similar exposure between T1.6 and T11, NR set to off. Lens focused to infinity. It seems to me that the left side of the image is far worse than the right at T1.6 and T2. T2.8 looks the best to me. It may just have been a shift in the clouds or a flutter of the leaves with the wind but T2.8 also seems to have the best colors of the lot. Look at the upper corners darkening from T5.6 to T11.

T1.6.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 306K
    T2.0.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 323K
    T2.8.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 353K
    T4.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 361K
    T5.6.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 367K
    T8.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 362K
    T11.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 338K
  • A couple of video tests I made with the lens on the GH2, 24P, Sanity 5, ISO 200, shutter speed 1/1500. The lens was focused to infinity and set to T1.6.

• @crazypete, yuck! That is not good for something this expensive. The Tokina 11-16 doesn't have this problem at all! Yes, it's fastest speed is 2.8 but it's great wide open! I sent an email to Noktor 2 days ago canceling my order but still haven't heard back. Hopefully I won't get the cold shoulder trying to get my money back. Also, I would love to see what the $80 step-up ring looks like. They claim most other manufactures don't work but I ordered a $5 one and I don't see how it could get any more low profile!