Personal View site logo
AN "Valkyrie", GOLGOP3-13, GOP3ZILLA, natural, Freeze-less Reliable All-round GOP3 Settings :-)
  • 1001 Replies sorted by
  • Just tested with the setting (mentioned in my previous post) with the death chart. Static, then motion. Wow, 1162kb I-frames fully utilized on a static scene! So, combining the MAX version's I-frame size, Sedna AQ1C matrix and Q18 have the sense, I think. And the output quality is very-very good indeed.

00092_Frames.PNG
    746 x 412 - 61K
  • @bkmcwd: thanks! I'm glad to help :) I think MAX frame limits are for those who, like me, want to be extra confident about codec waver, right? A few times in the real-world footage, not in the charts, I saw ~1100kb I-frames even with Q18, so, probably, the MAX frame size still makes some sense with Q18, and especially with Sedna matrix. Just in order to be VERY confident about the quality level! By the way, I noticed you that you change the 1080p24 GOP Table from {1, 0, 0, 0, 23, 0} on the Sedna version to {1, 0, 0, 0, 38, 0} in natural. Could you please expain what this changing number means and how does it affect the quality? Thanks in advance!

• @kovtun66

Thanks for using and modifying my settings! :-)

I am calling the setting of Q18 "natural" and I also have the test version combined with SednaAQ1C. "natural" setting is also good for lowlight. Although I think that the frame limit of "MAX version is unnecessary to "Q18" in my opinion, how is it?

@eyefi

Although I do not use Pro Res, thanks for the tip! :-)

@YOSS

Thanks for using my settings! :-)

"What would be your settings choice for all around, high detail, lower noise?"

If choose only one is said, I will choose GOP3ZILLA_standard. However, I am still improving this and am working on HBR and FSH now.

• Hi @bkmcwd !!! For the past 2 weeks I've been using your golgop3 Sedna c. I'm seeing more settings have been released since then..

As @stray mentioned, I'm sometimes experiencing some bad frames at the beginning if the clip. Anyway, the first second almost always gets trimmed.

What would be your settings choice for all around, high detail, lower noise?

Thanks for your awesome work!!!

Yoss...

• @leejb4, @bkmcwd, I edit in Final Cut using Pro Res Proxy, and export an XML of the edit and open it in Premiere where i switch the Pro Res clips for the original MTS, i then export out of Premiere,(it does better interpreting the MTS), out to Uncompressed 10Bit YUV, from that you can color grade in Davinci Resolve Light with minimal loss, and export again to Uncompressed 10Bit YUV. and that gives me a nice master to output for various formats, using Adobe Media Encoder, for example h.264 @ 20Mbits.

• @kovtun66 8:51AM ...in the hands of a man who never owned the video camera before? :)

.......as long as you dont use it to work for a TV station during the European Football Championship, I dont mind...

• There is an impression that GH2 is the camera for professionals only. But how the codec behaves in the hands of a man who never owned the video camera before? :)

Got a short untouched sample for you pals. I would call it "the latest GOP3ZILLA-loaded GH2 as a point-and-shoot camera experience". Handheld, automatic exposure (P) and ISO, continuous AF on. In general, all the bad practices together, including hand-held zooming while filming :)

By the way, for this test I had (on my own) merged the recent GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard (frame limits) and GOP3ZILLA-SednaAQ1C_standard (the rest of) settings, plus I decreased Q to 18. So far I like the results very much. I do not shoot in low light, though.

Shot in Odessa, Ukraine. Very cloudy weather indeed. As always, better download the untouched MTS.

• @leejb4

Thanks for using my setting! :-) I would also like to ask you the same questions everybody. And I would like to look at and check the raw sample before edit.

@subco @Stray

Many thanks! :-)

@eyefi

"what is your workflow if this is the case."

When I also checked in VLC, it was displayed as 47.95. However, is this the specification of VLC although I am not detailed about VLC? It is 23.98 fps rightly correctly. :-)

• @cinemon

"what is the difference between this patch and maybe the driftwood patches?"

In the size and the number of the I frames, it is different. Top priority is given to being the I frame altogether in Intra of Nick. On the other hand, in my 3GOP, while pulling up I frame size to a practical use limit, the number is also increased as much as possible. The best is decided by to what you give priority. Although Intra of Nick demonstrates the super highest performance in the conditions to which it was restricted under lowlight, I think that it is very difficult to use. My settings aim at the Almighty. I think that the settings with which it does not compromise about a motion, either are 3GOP, securing the maximum I frame size. Since Nick is daring to do work far more difficult than mine, I respect him. :-)

• @bkmcwd. I dowloaded the original m2t of "GH2@GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard 24p Motion Sample" and in VLC it says it is 47.95 frames per second, are you doubling the 23.98 (24p) stream for smoother playback, and what is your workflow if this is the case. Thank you for the amazing quality your bringing to the GH2 in motion.

• In Vegas in the media window right click properties; HBR should be changed to progressive as Vegas reads it as interlaced.

• @leejb4 Also what format are you shooting 24p, HBR, 1080i, 720p ? Does it look horrible before you take your footage into Sony Vegas, and if it does can you post some stills ?

• Hey! I am shooting a short with mostly the 'Natural setting" and one or two shots with the VY canis majoris day setting and I was trying to render the video using sony vegas....IT LOOKS HORRIBLE! Does anyone know what settings to use in order to render the video in the best quality considering I do not have to put it on the internet?

• @all what is the difference between this patch and maybe the driftwood patches? i look for a patch for the best possible quality in cinema 24p with filmic motion.

• @har_k

Thanks always mate! :-)

It seems that low qps and narrow ranges are very good.

• @bkmcwd

I used "GOP3ZILLA_standard" and shot at 24H mode.

Crow of the second shot was taken at Ex-tele.

Thanks for amazing quality settings and your hard work!

*Bitrate around about 60-95Mbps

*FILM MODE is NOS.(-2,0,0,-2) and the lens is LUMIX X PZ45-175mm

*SANDISK Extreme SDXC UHS-I (45MB/s) 64GB

GOP3ZILLA_standard_24p_ISO200_SS50_F56_EXTele.jpg
    1365 x 637 - 259K
  • @ silent users of my settings

I release "GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard" setting.

They are the completely same contents as a normal version except 24p. In 24p, it is the same as an old MAX version to have raised the maximum frame limit. Although the performance under lowlight is not different from a normal version, the image quality in the scene which requires high stress improves in this MAX version. However, with MAX version, playback in camera may not often be available in 24p. This is because the maximum frame size which can be played back by GH2 may be exceeded. Of course, the file which cannot be played back in camera can also be satisfactorily played in PC.

EDIT:Supposing you consider that the playback in a camera is important, I will not recommend you this setting. Please use normal version.

Please try it!

*Of course, already combined with excellent audio tune @thepalalias's "Pasadena_Pulse_Audio_V2_Beta2"

NOTE:

*Although bit rate setups are quite high, the bit rate which actually appears are lower than these. Since the actual bit rate changes by the object to shoot, please confirm by yourself.

*24H and 24L are high quality 3GOP setting with super mega size I-frames.

*24p80%(30p) is available in 24H and 24L both.

*In camera playback is sometimes not available in 24p. In other mode, Sometimes available after reboot the camera.(Not tested yet, but probably)

*EX Tele works.(Not tested yet, but probably)

*Spanning in 24H, 24L and SH with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card. In other mode, need test.

*Spanning in other cards needs to be tested.

*According to StreamEye, there is no level line of high qp macroblocks. :-)

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA-MAX_standard.zip
    832B
    GOP3ZILLA-MAX.PNG
    746 x 401 - 168K
    GOP3ZILLA-MAX_ST_24p_ISO160_forest_sp_qp.JPG
    1297 x 632 - 199K
  • @subco

"what lens & m4/3 adapter are you using?"

That is with LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm/F1.4. :-)

• @HillTop1

Thanks! :-)

"The stabilizer you use to film the above video (GH2@GOLGOP3-13_SednaAq1C_standard 24p Night Sample) is it the Neuron stabilizer?"

No, I have not owned Neuron yet. I am always using DIY SteadiCam which I made by myself.

• @bkmcwd, I am loving your patches!! The stabilizer you use to film the above video (GH2@GOLGOP3-13_SednaAq1C_standard 24p Night Sample) is it the Neuron stabilizer?

• GOP3ZILLA_standard Samples

The level line of the high qp macroblocks has not appeared even in the bright scene. :-)

*According to StreamEye, there is no level line of high qp macroblocks. :-)

GOP3ZILLA_ST_24p_ISO800_friend_sp_qp.JPG
    1294 x 632 - 185K
    GOP3ZILLA_ST_24p_ISO160_leaves_sp_qp.JPG
    1296 x 634 - 195K
    GOP3ZILLA_ST_24p_ISO3200_night_sp_qp.JPG
    1298 x 634 - 198K
  • @feha

Although I am not sure what kind of form it becomes, I know that he has the plan. And I hope sale of Neuron to be realized. :-)

I have operated Neuron. Operation is very easy.

• @bkmcwd , will he sell this stabilizer as a product ?

• @Benibube Thanks for your comment here and vimeo!

@Oedipax Thanks for your help!

@bkmcwd You are very much welcome! I could get beautiful shot in flesh green leaves. It was so amazing! Thanks again.

• @Benibube

Neuron is the stabilizer new type which he devised uniquely. :-)

Shot with GH2@bkmcwd "GOP3ZILLA v1.02" and my DIY steadicam displayed in my profile.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters