Personal View site logo
Panasonic AG AF100 / AF101
  • 141 Replies sorted by
  • @ AdR, I disagree with the notion that Pany won't update the AF100. It would seem to me that they do realize that they have a problem with the Sony S35 cams showing so well. All they'd have to do to beat the FS100 is bump up the sensor, which IMO would mean using the GH2 Sensor, which I think is superior. They don't have to change the camera body of the AF100 cuz it's already better than the FS100 ie. ND filter and I/O etc. If they can improve the image quality and latitude just a bit more the AF100 would be a great cam.

Also how can they sit by and let the GH2 have a better picture than the AF100? They must correct that situation.
  • As far as higher bitrates go, if I had spent $5000 on an AF100 I would buy an external recorder like the HyperDeck Shuttle or a Atomos Ninja and record nice uncompressed or low compressed footage, it seems like a no-brainer to me.
  • @Aria

Panny isn't going to do a big rev on the AF100 anytime soon. Look at how they handled the HVX and DVX cameras. They will keep pushing what they see as the camera's strengths (like being able to use all kinds of glass, and having real vidcam controls) without making big revs. They'll change little things in software, and maybe add a button or two for convenience. (Like maybe having a dedicated switch for manual lenses, or when they added the audio warning for VFR.)

One thing you can be sure of, they will not implement Vitaliy's hacks for improved data rates. They have to protect their high-end cameras.
  • I actually like the look of the AF100 so long as you stay within it's strongest range. It may not be the best for a low available light type situation, but for films with controlled lighting it can give some great results. If they can step up the sensor i'm confident that it can be a great all around camera. I look forward to the update to see if they can catch Sony S35.
  • @Vitaliy

I understand your position re AF100. As you continue with the GH2 hack, please reconsider. You could help a lot of filmmakers.

Thanks for considering.
  • @Vitaliy

Well, not all of it. Just the sensor. I don't think the IQ is very good. It looks like it's from the GH1 era.

And yes, I'm sure the AF-100 is a great functional camera on set and whatnot, I'm just mad that it wasn't much of an improvement from what we are seeing with DSLRs... just 5x more expensive. It could have been MUCH more for the same price, they just low-balled it. Could have easily had a 4:2:2 10-bit codec for the same price.
  • @bwhitz

I don't think that this is inferior technilogy in any way. Just different.
    And it is very useful for many guys who really like it's performance.
  • @AdR

Actually, it's more of a middle finger to keep working on the GH2... as the AF-100 is basically just the same (or worse, probably) technology in a bigger box for 5x the price. This hack is really eye-opening in how much Panasonic is holding back. The GH2vk (or whatever) absolutely destroys the AF-100 in image quality... there is no comparison. Actually, the AF-100 never look good in the first place. It just looks like a HPX-'whatever' with shallow DOF... nothing really film-like or professional about the image at all (i.e. crappy sensor). For the price of the AF-100 ($5000), we should really be seeing a 2k semi-RAW codec 1-96fps camera. Don't let them fool you when they tell you "8-bit color was all we could afford for the price". It's bullshit. They're just trying to protect the "professional market tiers" they've created, that's all...
  • Panny will come to AF100 owner rescue with a new camera, the AF100A and soon after AF100B :)
  • @AdR

I am not interested in AF100, as I said.

I really like Panasonic Pro Division reformed and large cameras must be forced to use Lumix platform.
    It'll bring cost down, features up and you'll have less incapable managers in a way.
  • I feel Panasonic will step up it's plans to improve the AF100 after the comparisons to the new Sony's have shown that they have better image quality and latitude. They can't sit still. The AF100 seems to be a better actual camera than the Sony FS100, but the Image Sensor is lacking compared to the Super35 sensor. Pany needs to use the newer GH2 sensor as a starting point it would seem and build on that. I really think they'd have a great cam if they step it up just a touch.
  • Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for your hard work on the GH2 hack.

Please reconsider hacking the AF100. Many of us bought the AF100 to get the video camera features (XLR, NDs, etc.), and would love higher bitrate and/or color space.

I know Panasonic is a PITA, but think of it this way: you would be giving Panny the middle finger by improving the AF100, and you'd be helping a lot of filmmakers.

You know if you don't try it, nobody else will, either. You're the only person who can do it.

"Help us, Obi-Wan Vitaliy, you're our only hope" ;-)
  • Uliman wrote:
    "I know some of the workarounds to get the GH2 to a professional handling level."

Could you give us a brief list of these please?

Thanks!
  • >So it could have been nice to have an improvement of the codec etc.

I know :-)
  • Thanks Vitaliy,

I know all the arguments comparing the AR 100 vs the GH2. And I know some of the workarounds to get the GH2 to a professional handling level. But on set, with time pressure, the AF 100 has it´s place. So it could have been nice to have an improvement of the codec etc.

BR Uli
  • No.
    I wrote unpacker for AF100 firmware (it is quite simple, in fact).
    But I do not have any intention to work on AF100.
    If Panasonic will change his approach, introduce SDK, at least for pro cameras... :-).
    Problem is that some of Panasonic top managers are afraid that they won't save their positions during such change :-)