Personal View site logo
Rode NTG-2 with Zoom H4n problems, choosing alternatives
  • 105 Replies sorted by
  • thanks everybody for sharing your experience. As I mentioned my budget is actually limited. First step will be a PreAmp for next two testimonials, next step after my fee is paid I will sell the Zoom at Ebay an go for the Tascam. Which mic would you recommend? I wonder why the NTG-2 is so popular (NTG-3 is out of budget)

@ahbleza is the ART Dual Pre USB suitable for one person? I see it has more than half a kilo of weight, 9V Monoblock battery is quoted as cumbersome in reviews.

@kitano I had one GH2 with 17mm for overall scene and a Canon 5D with 100mm for close up simultaneously. Due to the wide angel GH2 the distance of 1 - 1,5m was nearest possible.

• @peaceonearth

Same problem here, I am severely disappointed by zoom h4n. Not only the preamp is crap but the quality of the overall product is not suited for crtical projects. It has been broken (developed earthing hum) twice on overseas projects.

Comparing the recording quality, Ntg-2 microphone is way ahead of zoom condensor microphone.

If you don't want to spend anymore money then position the ntg-2 microphone close to the source and lift the levels in post production. I use adobe audition and use a compressor. Took me a while to play with settings but now I am extremely pleased with the results.

Another thing you could try is using a cheap lavalier wired microphone like audio technica ones and plug it to zoom on the other end, this was recommended to me by Zoom technical engineer.

Hope it helps.

• I have the NTG-2 and Zoom H4N, and see the same problems. I think the best option is to get an external pre-amp, like this one from Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM1547001401P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM1547001401

There are two main problems with the Zoom: 1) The pre-amps suck 2) It only gives control over levels, and not sensitivity (any audio engineer will tell you this is insane.)

I'm seriously thinking of springing for a new Roland, which has much better pre-amps.

Also, think about the NTG-3, which Philip Bloom uses. I personally got better results when I upgraded to an Azdec SGM-1X, which is good value.

There are tons of better sound combinations out there, but it's funny I got the same one as you initially, then realized I had to upgrade.

• exactly what Vitaliy said. If you're stuck with that combo, make sure you have the XLRs on mic level and use the AA battery in the mic to provide the phantom power – it may be better than what's coming from the H4n and help your levels a bit.

• I had to push recording levels up to nearly max and result was still low

It is usual for such combos.

I suggest to get more sensitive mike, as first measure and after this get other recorder, may be TR-100 MKII. Even better is good preamp before recorder.