Personal View site logo
Is it worth getting Color Checker Passport?
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • @lunelson Effects>Utility>Color Profile Converter. Will work if x-rite color passport can produce real ICC color profiles.
    @andres see attached screenshot, if you do not understand ask questions

ProLost has some nice writeups about color workflow in AfterEffects
    icctolut.JPG
    353 x 439 - 34K
    icctolut.JPG
    353 x 439 - 34K
  • @dkitsov
    I have the calibr8 colorchart SG and I am able to do icc profiling with the macbeth profile maker software, but I have never seen something that can transform icc to lut.
    If you have a link to something please let me know.
    so far I've couldn't incorporate the workflow for video just for stills.

• Hmm. Do you know which AE effect specifically could interpret a color profile from the X-rite passport? It would be interesting to do it that way, just to neutralize footage before editing. I'm looking at doing that as a first step since I also have to convert to an edit format anyway and I can render that out of AE (e.g. ProRes, DNxHD, whatever)
  • What is possible is to use after effects and use built in convert to profile etc effects. After Effects is a fully color managed application. In addition there are lots of apps floating around that let you do icc/icm>LUT conversion. After Effects is a LUT aware application. I do feel it would be an overkill though. It seems much easier to properly white balance your shot and then color grade it to the way you like (for example qualify a yellow region that bothers you and then dial it down in the ColorFinesse (ships for free with AE), perception of what is accurate varies from person to person...
  • Is it possible to install the custom color profile into Photoshop CS5?

If yes, I wonder if it's possible to use Photoshop CS5 to apply color correction on each frame in a video file.
  • Anyone know a way to apply a camera profile to video? It would be nice because the GH color response in video mode is a bit distorted: oversaturation of yellow in the shadows for example.
  • I have it and am satisfied with the purchase. I love that it is a complete all in one system. Color calibration and an 18% grey card for white balance in a slim sturdy compact hard case that you can throw in a small bag or large pocket. It also comes with calibration software that recognizes the passport in an image and automatically creates a color profile.

The size advantage is also a disadvantage as each chart is small and you need to be fairly close when shooting.
    Overall it is a bargain for the passport and software in one easy to use package.
  • I don't know.
    It depends on your needs.
    You can check chinese color books on ebay and photo sites on how to use them for color calibration.
    And how reliable they are.