Personal View site logo
GH1 weird "interlacing artifacts" on non-interlaced footage
  • Hello, I'm using my GH1 with hacked firmware. And I am getting some weird interlacing artifacts on the AVCHD modes. I've tried numerous different settings, including: Blackout Powell, 100mbit Max lattitude, Fast Action 3 Gop, 75mbit Peak reliability, and Reliable in-camera playback patch. I've tried all of those with both the "Wrapper" patch switched on, and off. And still I get the same result.

Is there any way to get the interlacing to stop?

Look at my attached photo to see the problem, you can clearly see it over and under the actors glasses. The weird part is that my GF1 does not cause these artifacts. In fact my GF1 produces higher quality and is more reliable footage than my GH1! (Both AVCHD and MJPEG!) How can that be? Shouldn't the GH1 have far better results than it's little brother? Clearly something is either wrong with my camera or the way I am patching it is wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I just found out that it is not present in any media players, only in my editing software Adobe Premiere and Adobe After Effects. Could it be that they use a different decoder?

• As you can see here from this example, there is clearly a huge difference in how the two applications decodes the footage.

artifacts-gh12.jpg
    1920 x 329 - 104K
  • Looks like a chroma upsampling bug in Premiere's decoder.

• Yes, after a lot of googling I came to the same conclusion. I tried opening in Sony Vegas, and it looks stellar! So I guess I have to find some kind of transcoding workflow.

Does anyone know if this is fixed in CS5.5?

• I solved it! It seems there was indeed a chroma bug in Adobe's AVCHD decoder, like balazer suggested. Installing the latest patches for both After Effects and Premiere Pro cured the problem.

If anyone else experience bad artifacts when using AVCHD in Premiere or AE, you need to install the updates.

You can find updates for Premiere Pro and After Effects here:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=98&platform=Windows
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=13&platform=Windows

After the updates the footage looks pristine in those applications. This update cures weird motion feel, weird chroma artifacts and weird compression artifacts.

• Post the footage and I can do a test on CS 5.5.

• no need, I found out it is fixed in CS5.5. All I had to do was install the listed updates and everything worked :) But thank you for offering.