Black Magic: Workflow
  • 30 Replies sorted by
  • @Oedipax

According to Black magic specifications:

recording format/compression are

• Adobe CinemaDNG @ 2.5K
    • Apple ProRes Log 4:2:2 HQ @ 1080
    • Avid DNxHD @ 1080

ProRes & DNxHD can be recorded using either a "Film" (log) or "Video" (Rec. 709) gamma.

• Last week I was out shooting some GH2 Gop3 footage and also from same 36 locations shot 5D mark II raw photo frames. I processed the 5D Mark II footage first and was 100% satisfied with my images. When I was grading the GH2 footage, I was thinking I could do so much better if I could process the frames in Lightroom.

Premier CS5.5 has a DNG importer and I believe only works with 8Bit DNG files. Not sure on Lightroom 3. With Lightroom 4 out, I'm hoping it will work with these higher bit files.

Of course, with the bundled software, we may already have the tools we need.

• deleted by user, will repost after some more research.

• Onky clue I have is that my Hyperdeck Shuttle and Hyperdeck Studio are 4:2:2

4:4:4 is available on the Hyperdeck Studio Pro.

• I really see myself shooting prores with the log gamma curve most of the time. As long as banding isn't an issue I think it will be plenty for me.

Does anyone know what variant of prores BMD is using? 422 HQ? 4444?

If it's straight 422 then the file sizes will actually be smaller than what I'm getting out of my hacked GH2 right now!