Personal View site logo
BlackMagic: Official $2,995 raw cinema camera topic
  • 1156 Replies sorted by
  • xenogears they will have image magnification for focus on the touch screen. I think a double tap....

• Look at it like this. @John_Farragut It's a camera that doesn't have a battery. You use an external battery like you would on an Alexa or a RED that can be any of the various options out there...i've been using a Vlock with a Dtap. But it also has an internal battery if you really need one that lasts in my experience, 2 hours.

• @soundgh2

Yeah I know there are adapters, I'm just curious if it'll support those adapters.

• @JDN fs-700 ? really? "Sadly, the internal codec is 4:2:0 AVCHD 2.0 at 28mbps … Oh well" http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/16/2953295/sony-nex-fs700-hands-on-super-slow-motion-and-4k-video-for-under-10000

and all of this for under 10 000 bucks...!

@vladnik "professional way is to use independent audio recoding..." absolutely so. all these fancy inboard xlr inputs go to idiotically high noise floor preamps...so if the accent on audio is crucial you will be using external recoding for sure! of course if -70db(or worse)cam vs - ~80db(external recorders) is something you don't hear the difference of and don't bother you, then go ahead and use the inboard "pro" audio...

• its not 4K for less 10000$ ...u need external RAW recoder for 4K ... its going to be close to RED SCARLET price ...

• @vladnik even worse.. ; )

• i mean its not bad camera ... but its not that cheap as people claim ...

• @Alfi666

Contary to widespread misinformation the depth of field (DOF) chrasteristics are a proteperty of A LENS being used - not a property of the sensor.

So having a large sensor is not the thing that provides shallow DOF. It does lead to the fact that one should use lens that can cover the sensor - which in turn leads to the use of type of lenses which if they have large maximum aperture are likely to provide (extremely) shallow DOF.

However you CAN use the SAME exact lenses with smaller sensor if only you can attach them to your camera (i.e. m4/3 or BMC) and have the EXACT SAME DOF characteristics.

The FOV will ofcourse be different. Not the DOF.

• @Jasketti

The FOV will of course be different. Not the DOF.

That’s what’s implied when people complain about the inability to achieve the desired shallow depth of field on a smaller sensor. To get the same FOV for a scene you need to move the camera back, and that’s where you lose your shallow DOF in relation to the same scene.

So there’s no “widespread misconception” in this regard.

• Most important question now if they actually use Fairchild sCMOS sensor

http://www.scmos.com/files/high/scmos_white_paper_8mb.pdf

As in this case it becomes moroe clear why they tried to focus on reading not whole sensor. fps reading only part can be quite high.

Also idea to restrict initial modes by 30fps has some basis, as it is bound after that read noise jumps.

sensor.jpg
    800 x 318 - 35K
  • @Mr_Moore @Jasketti

No talks about FOV and DOF, please.
    As they frequently lead to big flame :-)

• Beside the internal battery rolling shutter would be the only issue for me with this cam. Even if the results in some stops less dynamic range it would be perfect to have this option available if handheld or for doing shots for CGI.

• I'd say let's wait and we will see :)

This camera has its pros and cons - like any other, so it definitely has its place on the market... and for the price its a very good choice - just to have a RAW camera at home... However, let's not call it a FS100 killer or DSLR killer.... I think this is completely different device meant for different job (even though same market - price wise)

• I guess you guys work at fancier places than I do -- but where I've worked, including two of the largest television procos on the continent, they don't want to deal with syncing audio, they don't want to have to rent / deal a red whenever they want to do super slow mo, and don't want to have to deal with the massive storage problems of uncompressed or even Pro Res HQ. Think about it, you got 50 shows on the go, 12-24 eps each... you really going to invest in a gazillion TB of storage until they all get signed off and aired by broadcasters?

I've been long interested in a sub-$10 camera that can deliver do real slow motion, has professional xlr inputs, records high quality without overkill.

In a cheap ($75K / 30 show) I could see the FS700 being a good A cam, and in an expensive ($100K plus / 30 show) I could see it being a great B cam, with ability to mount super long or super wide lenses for a variety of angles and/or do super slow motion. And for those reasons, I'm excited to try it out.

Anyway, this is fast getting off topic. My main point was for anyone here who is hoping to break into broadcast televion, particularly in the doc-series world -- there's a lot of talk of this blackmagic being the perfect little A cam and rest assured it is not -- not any more than a gh2 is. Oh yeah, build in NDs also a huge boon for anyone doing doc work, so....

Obviously I'm comparing apples and oranges, but that's my perspective. FS700 is to me, just as interesting of a step forward and I hope it sets the stage for good things to come.

• SONY FS700 is good camera for gun 'n' run situation and if u need extreme slow motion than its camera for you ...but for someone who do narrative and works with low budget BDM camera is perfect tool .... diffrent cameras for different needs ...

• @JDN , I must have missed people mistaking this for a doc-style cam. If anything, this a narrative style camera that would prefer a controlled environment where you can really dial your tastes in...

Doc style, imo, is still best reserved for the camcorder builds.

• & Vladnik beats me to the punch...

& not to rag, but I think John Brawley's video gave us a glimpse that as a roving or run and gun camera, the BMCC is not as suited for the style.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Personally, I think that future of video cameras for us, mere mortals, lies in parallel AVCHD (with intra option) + RAW recording.

Please explain parallel AVCHD

• @disneytoy : Parallel = ( AVCHD + RAW Recording ) perhaps?

• @disneytoy I took it like this. Having a solid AVCHD get recorded next to a raw file gives someone the ability to edit in AVCHD codex as a surrogate and then swap for raw at rendering point. Im a bit noob though.

• @JDN I've heard that one of the reasons the Alexa is used on most of the non-doc TV shows now is because it has the ability to record to the various flavours of ProRes, saving editors the hassle and time of transcoding. Also, there's no need for 4K. I suspect this camera (ProRes recording, high quality 1080p) might also be quite well suited to non-doc TV work for the same reasons the Alexa is, especially if the audio inputs are up to scratch. I do agree that the needs for doc-series TV are different, and the FS700 might be better suited to the task.

• @disneytoy

Yep, like now it is JPEG+RAW.
    One of the great advantages of modern cameras is relatively accurate preview in the time of shooting.

• I have no experience with RAW workflow and not in Resolve either. I read bmd's configuration guide. I ask myself how many people after first horray will discover that their computer hardware would need a bigger investment.

• @xntrggr yes, recording to prores or dnxhd is definitely an asset and I hope all cameras go that way in the future, that said AMA and transcode is getting pretty damn good with most formats and relinking literally takes seconds so when dealing with large amounts of raw footage can often be more economical to transcode to a offline hd format, run that from a thunderbolt raid, and park your terabytes of shot footage somewhere else. Really depends on what your ratio is.

Alexa is also preferred for drama though because of its ability to deliver a filmic look with very minimal correction. Good summary of this fact here: http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/04/dueling-canon-c300-and-arri-alexa/

Anyway, getting waaaaay off topic.

• u can always use PRORES or DNXHD .. much less weight on hardware ... or buy cineform (299$) and transcode DNG ... there are cheap options so shop around ...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions