Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @AlexManta I've run in to this problem too as a PP user. Haven't yet figure out how to resolve the problem, I will try and look it up a bit more today and see if I can find anything and report back, likewise, if you find anything, id appreciate a notice.

• @shian Thanks I'll try my best to find my way through all that...Thank you for your knowledge and advices Shian.

• The dissolves should come in just fine. AE interprets them as keyframed opacity. I've imported other people's PP projects and that was how it worked. So I don't know what's happening unless you are precomping the clips and splitting them up, but even then it should still work as it is still ramping the opacity of the clips up and down.

• @shian yes it should work...but what the cross dissolve??? Do you have any ideas??

• @shian and by the way I love your tutorials and colorghear man you rock...It's really impressive what it does to my footage..Thank you so much.

• @AlexManta as I'm not a PP user its hard for me to suggest a work around. I always export the sound mix to a wav file and bring it in to AE separately. I would export the titles as a 32bit TGA or PNG sequence with an alpha channel, and lay it in over the top in AE.

Then delete (or turn off) the titles and the audio, and save a copy of the project without titles and sound, and see if that imports properly.

• @shian right now i m trying to render a full res matching version MPEG of my premiere pro sequence and i will import it in AE and reput all the colorghear tools on it...What do you think?? Will i lose a lot of quality??

• @Shian Actually just opening the premiere pro project in after effects gives me errors, it doesn't import titles and it doesn t play the audio mixed either, i m truly sorry to be a beginner at this, but your tutorials make me want to use your workflow...But maybe it seems that after effects doesn t import dissolve or titles or audio mixes from premiere pro..that s what I think i saw on adobe s website...

• "Powerful Layer based Color Grading" From the SG whitepaper - what I've been saying all along. Why CGT is superior to MBL and Colorista. And until CS6 is released, your best option in AE. Unfortunately, you might not find SG to be as powerful as CGT in terms of curves, etc.

Screen Shot 2012-04-12 at 8.34.22 AM.png
    550 x 887 - 226K
  • @AlexManta dude, screen shots. I don't know what your timeline looks like. I'm guessing you likely broke some of the connections by pre-comping, BUT without seeing it, it's hard to tell.

• @Philldaagony Speedgrade as a stand alone has always been awesome. But temper your enthusiasm until you actually use it. you might actually find CGT easier to use.

FINALLY a 3D tracker in AE!!!!

• @all @shian ok guys I m getting crazy here, i have been trying to open a premiere pro CS 5.5 sequence of a short that i m working on, in after effects to be able to use ColorGHear...I wanted to open the original sequence from premiere, this way i wouldn t convert and degrade anything and would use the mts files directly...I opened the project everything seemed fine at first...I graded it...rendered to queue; rendered it but now EVERY TRANSITION/DISSOLVE DONE IN PREMIERE PRO, every text, even the sound mix disappeared after render...It s like it just kept the basic cuts...WTF is happening...i lost a whole day of work on that...Can someone please help me???

• @shian Looks like your tutorials are going to be even more valuable in Adobe production premium CS6 with Adobe's Speedgrade! Check it out. They even have "looks" which are essentially some of your pre-packaged settings presets. Can't wait to get my hands on it. http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1203_16108_nab.html

• @stonebat some of it is in the current dynamic range tutorial, the rest will be covered in the Film School series, but in general, the sweet spot is between 0 and 1 stop over. 1 1/3 is pushing it.

• I guess ETTR wouldn't give greater latitude for video frames since they are not in RAW format.

I heard this general rule about JPEG exposure. Avoid overexposure for low-contrast scenes and underexposure for high-contrast scenes to capture more details. Of course it can be broken for intended purpose.

• @pvjames no need to take me at my word. The proof is in the dynamic range tutorial. Tested. Fact. Very informative. You have 3 stops above 50% and 5 and 1/3 below.

• @shian: thanks for checking out the footage and advice. I think i found something as far as a direction with getting a look i want with nature/landscaping. Trying to also make it look more 'cinematic'. I always thought GH2 was more sensitive with noise in the lows. But, i'll take your word for it.

• @shian will do..I noticed I forgot to switch to 32bit..this is all still quite new to me far as remembering the workflow.practice!practice!practice!love the tools man.

• @EYESOUL I noticed you're in 8bit. To really see it shine, move into 32bit, by alt clicking the project bit depth setting at the bottom of the project window twice. Add the spectral enhancer, and mix to taste to see the colors pop.

• I really like ColorGHear!following the tutorials are quite easy..Absolutely my type of color grading method..this is a lite grade I did of my son..shot with Orion 4b & Canon FD 50mm 1.4

RAW.bmp
    1920 x 1080 - 6M
    raw.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 452K
    graded.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 463K
    spectral enhanced.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 464K
  • +1 for boobies

@islanders66 great work

• @islanders66 nice. I love the shot of the model in profile that ended up being the title background for the vid. The colors play really well. I literally thought it was a still taken with a Canon camera, not a still frame from the GH2.

Oh, plus boobies.... I love those.

• @stonebat: Thank you!

• @pvjames very nice. You are muting the highlights a bit much, which is causing the flat yellow skies and such, but very beautiful. It's hard with the dynamic range of the camera to shoot in available light and capture the full range in nature and still have detail in the shadows. Just remember you have more latitude on the lower end of the exposure scale, but a hard cap on the highlights.

• Just some footage i took recently. Used ColorGHear/AE. I think i'm getting closer to getting the end-results i'm looking for.

http://photos.jamesthorpe.com/Other/Footage/22390839_mFrnGc#!i=1789818722&k=JdSp6Zf

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions