Personal View site logo
Gh2 Broken LCD!!! Options?
  • While traveling in Asia last month my tripod was toppled over (stupid setup, my fault) with the lcd out and it shattered some of the plastic and crippled the touch screen capability. I basically used some gaffers tape to hold things together for the rest of my trip (displays fine). Now that I'm home, I decided to take things apart and see what was causing the touch features to not work. As you'll see in the picture, the fall pulled a cable receptor off of the board, I'm guessing that is what enables the touch function? I tried making the contact by pressing it in place, but it had no effect. When I took the lcd off the body of the camera, what remaining functioning plastic that holds things together (screw holes) crumbled making it not possible for me to reattach properly.

MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU ALL:

1. Can this be fixed? How? Where to get the necessary parts/materials? Can anyone do it for me at a reasonable price?

2. If it's a lost cause. Where can I find a replacement LCD? I've scoured the web and thus far come up completely empty. Even if I get a new LCD, I'd need the plastic housing too.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. For now I'm just using the EVF and an ext. monitor, but I miss the functionality of that LCD big time.

Thank you.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Service center, dude.

• Nooooooo!!! I was afraid of that. If it were anyone else telling me, I'd save hope, but hearing it from you makes me think it's final. There's no where to get gh2 parts? If that's the case I think I'll just glue things back together and deal with it. I think this is a $200 plus fix through them. I'd rather put that money toward something like a DP4. The only thing I'll really miss is the zoomed in focus when using my non-m43 lenses. Is that accessible without the touch screen?

• Thing is that people with such problems are using some strange logic trying to find help on forums.
    You need to go to service center or professional authorized repair center.
    And not to spend yours and others time on useless talks.

• How is it "useless talk" to try fixing something myself? Isn't that the point of forums, to get help with things that you don't know about without paying top dollar? Anyway, thanks for the advice.

• If your HDMI still works it would be worth it to spend the money to repair this on a b-stock DP6 http://www.smallhd.com/Store/DP6-SLR-B-Stock and actually be able to focus the camera and have an idea of how the colors look.

• @kupchenpo, ask if someone have bricked GH2 for sale, than take and replace the LCD ... I don't think you can "repair" LCD it self if it's broken or if you don't have a spare part as that LCD ... Also you can not repair and solder such microelectronics without proper equipment and knowledge. This is a job for authorized, specialized service centers.

• @plasmasmp I've been considering that deal regardless, I've used and LOVE the DP6, but I want to try out a DP4 to see if it's comparable for focus pulling, I really like the look of the form factor and think it would suit my rig a little better. One or the other is on my short list.

@feha That's a good idea, I'll look into that.

Cheers

• Same situation. One of my GH2s took a spill on a fast-moving set. The screen still works fine for display but not for the touch-screen function. I didn't think I would bother opening it up because I figured I would just make things worse. (At least it still works as a display, right?) But I keep wondering if there's maybe a simple fix.