Personal View site logo
PTool 3.60d topic
  • 259 Replies sorted by
  • @JesusRG, @daihard
    Ah, OK. I was referring to making videos when you are in photo mode. As I think was @daihard too (referring to M).
    I agree, GH2 is a bit confusing with all it's modes.
  • Progress on 108024P N GOP TESTING (moved from Stalin Hack Topic at Vitaliy's request): Using KrisCanonizado's 70mbit settings except substituting 48000000 everywhere he put 70000000 (70 or 48 gave me same results until 3.61 is released). I then played with 1080 24P Native GOP settings. I am looking strictly to do a film look with this cam, nothing else, so a more filmic - non-dreamy look is what I'm after and a high GOP destroys that IMHO. So using above settings I tried a GOP of 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1. Initial testing reveals a GOP of 3 gives best results for my purposes. It does lay down an I frame followed by 2 B frames only (no P frames) but it is playable in cam, computer and easily imports into Avid. At GOP of 4 it lays down an I frame, 2 b frames and a P frame (in this order) and weirdly, it plays back in cam but does not play back on the computer without noisy blocks. GOP 5 lays down an I frame, 2 b frames, a p frame and another b frame, will play back in cam but will NOT play back on computer without the blockies. A GOP of 6 lays down an I frame, 2 b frames, a P frame and 2 more B frames, will play back in Cam and computer but is more dreamy that the 3 GOP which I like the best. A GOP of 2 lays down an I frame and B frame, will not play back in cam or computer. A GOP of 1 lays down all I frames, will not play back in cam or computer. So far, because the average bit rate stays below 22mbit no matter what settings I use, a GOP of 3 will not crash my class 10 card but perhaps a 3 GOP setting will when Vitaly releases the 3.61 patch that will let us double the bitrate. I shot way too much footage to post but it's redundant anyway until 3.61 is released.

To recap: GOP 3, 6, (9 probably but not tested) and 12 give stable results so far in 1080P N mode. GOP 3 is the best for action and everything else in my opinion as the frames blur into each other much less like true filmstock. Curious if others get the same results.

Edit: redid attachment with different 3 gop footage and Chris's current streamparser screen grab.
    3GOP44mbitsettings.JPG
    1265 x 667 - 141K
    3GOP44mbitsettings.JPG
    1273 x 667 - 167K
  • hope ipowell can give us the patches soon
  • Vitaliy, I noticed that at the beginning of the thread you have the old StreamParser download. You might want to use this new one (it's the same one I posted in the other thread).

Elecard has a "StreamEye Slim" for $49.95.StreamParser analyzes Transport Streams, StreamEye analyzes video streams, so they are a good compliment. For $49.95, StreamEye is a pretty good deal now.

Chris
    StreamParserInstall.zip
  • @cbrandin

I updated StreamParser on old URL.

Thanks for StreamEye Slim info.
  • Is there a way to run StreamParser on a Mac? I'm using CrossOver, but the StreamParser installer encounters an error when "Installing Microsoft .net client framework 4...". ( Crossover has been working OK for PTool 3.60 though. )

As an alternative, I tried StreamEye Slim (and StreamEye, but they don't seem to support AVC - only MPEG-2.

-bruno
  • by the way, there are two ways to show the sequence of frames when there are B frames. You can show frames in the processing order (like StreamEye does) or in display order (like StreamParser does). Thus you will see frames being pointed to in a different order between the two programs. It's not a bug, just different ways of identifying frame ordering. Note that the difference only shows up when playing a file, the bars do show up in the same order.

Chris
  • Yeah, they support AVC; they just don't recognize the Panasonic file extensions. If you select "All" file types when you open a file you can select the Panasonic files.

As for running StreamParser on a MAC; I don't know how to do that, or if it's possible. StreamParser uses several MS library components, so I wouldn't be surprised if it can't be done.

Chris
  • Is there a setting in Ptools 3.6d that controls MPEG compression for WVGA 848X480 mode? When I tweak 480p settings in PTools it doesn't seem to affect WVGA mode. I know I can resize VGA mode to shoot an 848x480 frame but when I play back footage set that way the pixel aspect is off and it is not true SD 16:9 footage which is what I am after. Also, in VGA mode the audio is laid down at 16k, unusable. IF there is no current way now to adjust WVGA can it be added to new ptools? WVGA is a very handy way to shoot SD 16:9 30P video on the fly for some jobs when you need it but the default compression settings suck.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions