Personal View site logo
  • 257 Replies sorted by
  • It is very late where I live, but if you do some search on the helios or heliopan and sighray they are as sharp on long focal lens. But they cost a lot compared to the LCW and more so the DIY. So it is more and issue with the LCW one. I think the best bet would be for us to search for a good combination of linear+circular or two linear polarizer. In fact just need two 82 or 77mm ones and it is very easy to do it because they have threads.
  • @kshalm i hope you undestand that in no way I was slacking you and I will await your test on longer lens. In this link below you have a test with a diy fader Nd. The result is still much better than the MKii. Perhaps they have change it since then.

• @B3Guy The second link that danyyyel posted is about the original Fader ND. The first one deals with the updated MK II that I own. From the tests it looks like the Fader ND MK II still does not perform well with telephoto lens. I personally rarely use longer focal lengths, so it is not a problem for me. If you need to use longer focal length lenses then this looks to be a no go, but I'll try and run some tests on my own copy of the MK II. Perhaps something has changed in the meantime.

I think this will be a problem with any homemade polarizer solution as well. You need decent polarizers to avoid colour cast and loss of sharpness. Does anyone know if the much more expensive Sigh Rays also suffer from this loss of resolution with longer focal length lenses? For longer focal length lenses the best (cheapest) option is probably to invest in fixed ND filters.
  • the second link I think is not on the mkii?
  • @danyyyel
    There is definitely a slight colour cast between having the filter on and not having it on. This can be easily fixed by white balancing with the filter on. The colour cast is constant though (does not change) as the filter is rotated through the different stops; white balance once and you are done.

The original version of the Fader ND from Light Craft Workshop introduced a significant loss in resolution (softness) and a stronger colour cast. The updated version (Fader ND Mark II) solves these issues.

As far as lenses go, I have only tested the Fader ND with my 20mm 1.7 Panasonic and the 50mm Canon FD lenses. There is no resolution loss or (significant) colour cast with either lens. The appearance of the x pattern at higher amounts of attenuations is supposed to become worse for wider angle lenses. I can test again with my 14mm pancake (widest lens I have), but I think this will be OK as well—the Fader is specced for up to 8 stops, but I manage to get over 10 stops with the 20 mm without any problems.

At the telephoto end of things these variable NDs based on polarizers are supposed to perform worse. I have not tested this, but I do have the 45-200mm Panasonic lens. Maybe this weekend I'll see if there is a significant loss of sharpness with longer focal length lenses.

The colours in the video are not accurate. Not because of the Fader ND, but because of the quick colour correcting I did in FCPX. Still haven't mastered the new colour correcting tools. I really wish there were s-curves like those available in decent photo editors.
  • I took a little time to go and search for where I saw the example on the LCW fader ND because I did not want people to think I was just speculating. I was on the way to buy one when I saw those reviews. As is noted the problem start from about 40 - 50mm, so many people did not see the rapid decrease in quality from those focal length and above. The problem with this product is that it started from philip bloom and it gained so much momentum that it is like a snow ball effect. It is very hard to get to the truth.

For the price that they are selling it, it is much better to invest in some good quality ND or polarizer to make a diy fader ND.
  • From the test I see a color cast from the no nd to the fader ND test, like more magenta. In your video also I see the skin tone a bit on the magenta but as you don't have a with and without it is a bit difficult to judge. I have seen some test some time ago where the result were terrible beyond about 50 mm. Did you do a test at these focal length. I have seen many test of the light craft fader that did not test beyond these focal length that praised it without talking about this flaw.
  • @feha Thanks. I have also heard that the Fader ND is a repackaged version of the Cameron Fader ND. I can't confirm this though.
  • @kshalm
    Thank you for review, I was wondering how this Fader ND performs ...
  • Just got a Fader ND Mark II from Light Craft Workshop. It is a variable ND filter based on crossed polarizers. So far I am very happy with it. I did some extensive tests that you can read about at http://www.quantumpie.com/light-craft-workshop-fader-nd-mark-ii-review/.

In short the filter is very neutral across the speced range (almost no colour cast), and there is almost no drop in resolution when using the filter. It should be suitable for photography and videography.

Here is a short I put together using it with my Hacked GH1 and Canon 50mm F1.8 FD lens. Everything is filmed at F2.8. It was very bright out; without the filter I would have need to use ~F11 to maintain proper exposure.

• @bubba
    I removed separate topic, just because I see 77mm Tiffen filters for less than $50 a piece on ebay.
  • Filmtools was almost $100 less
    I'm posting a notice as "good deals"

http://www.filmtools.com/tiffen-77mm-indie-plus-hv-kit-w77indndpkt.html
  • @shrigg
    Got a note from filmtools that my order has been shipped
    I ordered the ND filters without IR filtering.
  • I've researched this topic so much... I didn't remember where I'd seen the good stuff.
    You're right. I remember your post. I'd ordered a set from Filmtools.
    They are on backorder. I can buy as a single from 2filters?
  • @bubba

I have the Tiffen IRND and posted samples, check my earlier post. 2filter.com stocks these
  • Good job, Mario
    The ND looked great with the smoke part!
  • Here GH2 test with Marumi ND8 filter (daylight shots)
  • Faders don't seem to work in eztreme situations because of the polarization IR shift.
    The best ND and pola line is supposed to be the INDIE filter set just developed by Tiffen. It includes higher ND filters both with and without IR filtration so you can keep from getting fog or shift. ...Just can't get a'hold of any.
    (edit: got the full set for Christmas. Thanks, Mom)
  • Fader ND filter is good for video. B+W CPL filter for photo as I prefer jacking up shutter speed. I don't stack them up.
  • @_gl

I tested your theory with two cpl ...
    they do fade very nice, the problem is there are still some spots that do not block a complete light as fader does ...
    But the LCD gets completely dark except some few spots if not aligned perfectly even than still some parts are just 70% darker (the spots ).
    :-)
  • @feha, a CPL has a linear polarizer layer (just like a normal linear pola filter). Two linears will gradually darken the image as you rotate one against the other (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizer for details).

So two CPLs work the same way. But the advantage is that, when they are facing each other, they unpolarize the incoming light _before_ they fade it, and that makes all the difference. But it looks like the commercial ones do not use two circulars.
  • @_gl
    Interesting,
    the question is why CPL can not be used as fader , no steps in blocking light ?
  • The faders have two effects - first they act like a normal polarizers (eg. just on the sky & reflections), and then they fade the whole image. Try the LCD test on yours.

EDIT: with your CPLs, if you place them facing each other, so the camera-side of each one is on the outside, then you should be able to rotate them both together without blocking LCD light. Now try rotating just one, it should work like a fader.
  • I do have Hoya HD CPL ... (two of them ...)
    but i think the difference is you remove just partially the light (and reflections) ...
    as when you adjust for darker sky light but landscape is not affected ...
    I think the faders impact whole visible area ?!
  • .. actually I'm right, two circulars facing each other work like a fader, but do not block out the LCD light (I forgot that RealD 3D glasses use circular polarizers and I have tons of those). They do introduce unpleasant colour shifts from blue to yellow as you rotate them, but that's probably due to the low quality polarizers used in the glasses.

So the commercial faders are probably using one circular at the back (for camera metering compatiblity) and a linear at the front, that's why they act like polarizers on incoming light. Not good.