Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • Is there a setting that is considered the best successor to SeaQuake from last year?

• @sohus understood

• I did a little more testing against Sanity 4.1 today. Mysteron keeps coming out on top. Tonight I'm going to try noise testing again. http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/peternap/comp.jpg?t=1333485613

• @driftwood Mysteron has a lot less noise from the few shots i made. At ISO6400 noise should have been all over the place, but it was even ok. I don't know what you did, but to me this seems like magic. Too bad my Sandisk 16GB 30MB/s craps out after a few seconds at high ISO. At ISO800 i had no problem filming.

• @sohus

Thank you for the explanation and orders. It means a great deal to me.

• HELLO ALL!

I have a question, i am using a 30 mb/s 32gb extreme card and mysteron gives me a write speed error about 1:30 to 2:30 everytime,,, on 24h...

has anyone else had this issue?

& does anyone have a suggestion so I can get it to go to the 4gb size everytime and still have that awesome mystron "look"

• @onionbrain @systemD @lumina @Tifose @chief This is not a lens topic. Move your discussion to the right forum/topic. This topic is about Driftwood Quantum X settings. We must be strict in this, otherwise every topic turns into a chat. Thanks!

• short clip from testing Mysteron settings (ver1, not the burst settings)

• @redbaron Thank you, it'd be important to establish the max recording time on a SDXC 95MB/s extreme pro under stressed camera/codec conditions.

• @onionbrain

avoid the AI, D, E Series, f/2, or f/3.5.

I own Nikon 28mm f/2 AI - much better than f/2.8 AI-S. I tried both and sold the AI-S.

Nikon_28mm_f2_AI.jpg
    1920 x 1278 - 1M
  • @terry2 It had a little motion from the camera handheld but mostly a static shot. I will test with more motion.

• Mysteron Burst

'Standard' -2 -1 0 -2

24p

ISO 160

Rokinon 35mm F2.8

mysteron-burst-24p-iso160-35mm.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @driftwood cheers for the clarification..! Hopefully there will be some time now, during easter to try these things out!

• I guess this is a lens topic now.

• @HillTop1

Yes, there are many 28mm versions/variations from Nikon. And in this particular case, the f/2.8 AI-S is different from all of them. Meaning, all the rest are generally mediocre 28mm lenses -- but for whatever reason the f/2.8 AI-S has a completely different design.

So, yeah, avoid the AI, D, E Series, f/2, or f/3.5.

The first result that comes up on Google is this... http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/28f28ais.htm

I'm generally not a Ken Rockwell fan, but he's not always wrong, and it's a decent article. His "light falloff" (vignetting) test looked a little extreme -- but -- apparently he adds the disclaimer that his results are "exaggerated." Vignetting was not a problem with this lens on a full frame -- and it's really not a problem on a 2x crop.

The reason this lens is a big deal is because of lack of distortion (and sharpness). Normally, with 28mm anything you're getting nailed with barrel distortion. This one doesn't have it at reasonable distances, and that's why it's such a very nice fit with the GH2 as a "normal" lens.

• @SystemD Yeah, I was oriented towards that but after chatting with Matthew Duclos, I switched and purchased the 28 ZF2 which has a great value for the price and it's well mod.

• @redbaron did you test it with moving objects? Or camera moving? @driftwood wait, I have one or two ideas I'd like to test with mysterium... And then we'll see about grading... I'll PM you the results, flying to Miami tomorrow but shooting with the alexa there... Just, Nick, smooth -2-2-2-2, always? Marco

• @terry2 Did you ever use a Voigtlander 25mm 0.95??? It's one of the best Micro Four Thirds Lens ! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Voigtlander+25mm&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

• I havent seen test results from Graders yet for Mysteron though some experienced ones say Sedna grades better.

• Just did a test with Mysteron Burst and got a minute plus on 24p and 60p with a Sandisk 64gb 95Mbs. If you have the card - this is awesome!

• @driftwood Nick, any scientific reason why some people say that Sedna handle davinci cc better than Mysterion? Or just a matter of exterior factors as camera setup during shooting?

• @Butt @onionbrain I think there was a misunderstanding (typo error). I meant 28 ZF2 2 and not 2.8... they are two different lenses and the 2.8 version is not good. The 28 ZF2 2 is a more suited lens for cinema usage on gh2 than the great 28 2.8 AIS nikon. The best is, however, the Nikon 28 1.4 (which is so expensive and hard to find)... For the 50, I would duclos the summilux 1.4 or, cheaper, buy the duclos 50 macro 2, it has less than 1% distortion in the gh2 viewing area. Hope it helps. But this should be on lenses topic.

• Hi @RRRR. There is no non burst mode on L. The frame limits are set so that i frames dont go virtual and will peak at 900k for the H setting. The same should happen for the L setting but you will see a range of quality from peaks to lows as in the graphic uploaded by jspatz. Why does this happen? Because the bitrate allcated to the L setting is much lower than H and is forcing a lower data rate - its like a battle to use the max amount of bitrate to frame limit available but only upto the allocated L setting bitrate. Hence the stepped nature of the graphic. It is NOT cadence.

• @driftwood

Perhaps stupid question, but: Does mysteron burst have non-burst in the L setting? I need to try this stuff out.. :)

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions