Personal View site logo
GF3 Stable Settings topic
  • 147 Replies sorted by
  • @adamquesada just wanted to confirm that Mysteron is working on GF2 also .. I have a GF3 on the way and may put it on that body, as I need my GF2 with spanning working.. on the GF2 Mysteron worked pretty dang good looked good too. Minus no spanning.. But I don't think Mysteron was designed to span. I tried SpanMyB**chUp, but that didn't span either on GF2. May have been my memory card though.. Transcend class 10 16gb..

• I'm back to the 32Mbps AQ4 stock-gop worry-free settings.

• @stonebat 32Mbps AQ4 is Most Standard Stable Setting!

• Prolly that's because I know the least ;)

• STONEBAT - In your opinion, is the PVDOG 1080i patch noticeably better than the "stable" one you were using earlier (32mb) on GF2? What is your overall view of the PVDOG? Does it really produce superior video?

• Frankly I have no opinion.

• Oh, come on!! LOL, What kind of answer is that?? I need some help here. Please - just a quick opinion?

• @AndyS : stonebat's settings were developed (if I recall correctly) within 24 hours of the release of the new PTools which enabled hacking the GF2, as a sort of starting point for the community to begin refining best settings for this camera. He almost certainly tested a number of variations that day, along the way in coming up with this "stable" setting, but I don't think he ever claimed it to be the definitive "best" GF2 patch -- just a "good enough" starting point. Later on, others discovered that a lot of settings developed for GH2 worked just fine on GF2, which I think reduced the perceived need for people to work on refining GF2 specific settings, so things more or less stagnated. Recently pvdog came along and started working on his own GF2 settings, sharing them with the community. Some people have tried them and like them, others are sticking with their GH2 favorites from driftwood or others. I haven't seen any direct, scientific comparisons between pvdog's settings and other popular settings. If you've got an important project coming up and you absolutely want the best settings, then the most reliable way of ensuring that is to trust your own eyes and do the testing yourself.

When you do so, please share your findings with the community. I'm sure there are many others who would appreciate the knowledge gained.

• One day @AndyS will find the holy grail settings, and I will win Mega Millions lottery :)

• @stonebat : In that case, my request to you is the same as with @AndyS. Share what you've gained with the community. :)

• I should be receiving a GF3 later this week for my daughter. I'm interested in comparing the GF3's 25p/30p modes to the GH2's HBR and SH modes. Although PTool 3.65d no longer supports the 720p 50/60fps -> 25/30fps patch that I used in the GF1/GH1 Fast Action 3-Frame GOP Patch, it ports all of the latest GH2 patches to the GF3. This makes the hacked GF3's FSH 1080p25/30 mode equivalent to the GH2's HBR 1080p25/30 mode and provides an opportunity to optimize it individually without the entangled complications of the GH2's 1080p24 mode.

• My gut instinct is to go with PVDOG as "most likely" on GF2. If it looks good on a large TV monitor, I will let you guys know. I have to choose one patch real soon and stick with it for months of filming.

• In the video from the birth of Toller puppies I have in the first part up to 2:41 shot with Cace 2.0 GOP3 on GH2. After that it is shot with cbrandin old settings 44/32 and standard GOP. In the interval 2:41 to 2:54 there is a mix of GH2 and GF3 shots both with cbrandin settings. 1=GH2, 2-4=GF3. After that it is GH2 only again.

• Arhh yes Lee, now that's pointing the way forward for anyone developing patches. I did ask VK about the missing 50/60 > 25/60 patch from the Fast Action 3-frame GOP, but never received and an answer, thus I was happy to sacrifice 720 for time lapse if Duratix's goes that way . But would dump it if we could get 720p25 without the duplicate frames. Time to revisit this I think as Gf/x manual settings appear to be next on VK's agenda. After GX1?

• @rambo

1080i for high bitrate, 720p for timelapse, MJPEG for ETC? I think VK mentioned that 1080i/720p must have same GOP on GF3.

• Yes, he did say that on the release notes GF3 must be the same.

• Ebach - of the GF2 patches you have used, do you consider PVDOG to deliver some of the nicest looking video - all things considered?

• nicest while keeping a functional camera yes, does have the minor blocking flaw on super tough scenes but minor.. this is on GF2, I see you are on GF3 thread now.. I have not tested on GF3 yet, my body is not here yet.

• Thanks. Likely i will find out on this long shoot I am doing. Sounds good.

• Just got my GF3 body in, have not tested anything on it yet, but will soon.. Liking Flowmotion on the GF2 body

• Threw Mysteron on the GF3 body today for its virgin hack.. makes nice video , had one clip of some long needled pine trees limbs blowing in the wind that averaged a bit over 107mbps bit rate. That was with a transcend Class 10 16gb card.. no recording errors.. seems pretty great if you can get by without spanning. Also noticed the all intra stuff renders faster than other GOP settings... Didn't expect that.

• Tested Sedna AQ1 tonight on the GF3, it worked fine, nice average low 90mbps bitrates but liked Mysteron just as much.. then went back to Flowmotion 1.11.. due to spanning ability. I will note the all intra based patches do have a more 24p look to them. kind of "framey" look especially in pans or high motion. That may be your preference to look more filmlike.. Also noted the Sedna AQ1 looked more grainy (good fine fast grain) than Mysteron.. again if your going for a film look this may be your thing. Really on the GF line I'm not going for a film look just good footage for a super small carry anywhere camera.. so I'm looking for spanning at the best possible image.. so far I like Cake 2.0, Flowmotion 1.11, and pvdog's patches the best on the GF line

• Yep the lower the gop the quicker the render.

• I have a "instant film" project coming up for work, and get to use GH2's (8 - 10 hour turn around on it), I may keep that in mind.. lower that render time a bit. Last shots end at about 11pm Saturday , many people call these "happy face" or "smiling faces" videos, shoot all week, last shot ends at 11pm Saturday , film is shown 8am Sunday.. Basically recap coverage of a live event. the short shot time won't hinder me on this type of gig.