Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 3: VY Canis Majoris, Mysteron, Sedna, Orion, Cluster...
  • 1046 Replies sorted by
  • OK, after the BT everyones funny bones are probably worn out, but something almost funny happened to me today. I was using Mysteron for the first time today. Shooting in 720p(as is usually the norm for me), shot some flowers, all was well. Shot the big crazy fountain near my home, all was well. Started using ETC, "aww a couple write errors" but still working so long as I keep the iso low enough. Start skatboarding through the park (my dolly system) as the sun played peekaboo in the trees, using higher ISO without Tele, working nicely... gets a little darker, push the iso up to 2500 or so "awww write error, WAIT.. did I switch back to my Sandisk 8gb 30 mb/s card or do I still have that class 4 toshiba in there? HAHA it's the toshiba". After switching to the 8gb sandisk I had no more errors even as I pushed the ISO and film speed way up. The almost funny end.

• Hey guy's, past weekend I have shot a shorty. With sedna A q20 on L settings (77 mbit). (L because i had only 2 32gb cards and there where some timelapse shots of 16 minutes) It wasn't my shorty, i did only camera (14-15 april i will shoot my own shorty on H settings)

But after the shooting days we looked at the shots and wow!! we reallly really liked it! The image is superb.

This is a freezeframe: Sedna a q20 L with some color corrections in fcp image

david.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @driftwood I know it's a bit much to ask and I appreciate all the work You put in here already but: Would it be possible to give those Patches/Settings in the first post some Marlers like "Extreme" "Experimental" "Good for Noobs" or something like that? Just for me and noob colleagues to know how to sort al those new ones in. That would be just great as it becomes more and more difficult trustting one's own eyes and even more difficult to follow the thread through all these comments and tubeconverted unreliable tests that are nice to look at but almost impossible to judge from.

• @concius that looks superb.

• Quick test and grade of Mysteron

• I thought Id share a couple of ungraded frames of a project I'm editing right now. These were shot with Orion v4b.. I believe the Iso is at 640 but I would not swear on it.

Note: These are not the most spectacular images from the project but I don't want to post too much at this point.. We were going for a late 80s/early 90s look with everyting.. (it might not be obvious from these images). Hopefully I can share the end result before too long.

musicvideostill1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    musicvideostill2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • @lunalobo75 totally agree on the Mysteron! in my test the noise is so fine(and it shows very little at 1600) so i might even want to use high iso for film grain look that it renders. its a mystery!my bit rates varied from 60 to 150 mbits. Big thanks to driftwood, VK, crandin, palalias and all the nice people here!

• @Ebacherville I did and even tho it seems it is no optimized for it it can be used for now. I'm sure once its been tested fully it will look great. What I would like to see is Sedna!

• @rajamalik Listened to the audio test and commented on your YouTube. Message me if there was something else you wanted me to comment on and I will try to write back when I am not editing.

• @driftwood. Nick, I use Sedna A Q20 and I like it's quality and sharpness. I noticed that you have added de-blocking to Mysteron and have a different set of matrix values. Can you elaborate on what the differences are between Sedna and Mysteron and what was your main focus? Also, if de-blocking has improved the quality, can the same values be added to Sedna settings?

Thanks in advance for your hard work as usual.

• Can anyone recommend 1080p settings with the least pan judder?

• @Chief none of them really make a noticeable difference if you are referring to judder resulting from rolling shutter, but if you are referring to slow update artifacts in relation to (some of the less good options within) long GOP, then I would say that just about any of the Intra patches or low GOP ones would do well.

Without knowing the card you are going to use, it is tough to reccomend. Start with Sedna or Mysteron if you have a fast one, or SpanMyBU v1 if you have a slow one. That is my two cents.

• @driftwood @Mr_Moore @onionbrain,

Thanks a lot. Your explanation/advice on the time limit of 3.65d helped me a lot. Sorry for not answering that long. Been busy.

I wish we could have some patches like Sedna or Mysteron (like the previous old patches of Nick) without spanning. Just one simple long file as it used to be. It used to be more comfortable.

• @chief Also, there is less of it in 60P modes than 24H. If you are going to use 60P, start with Mysteron. 50P, start with Sedna.

• @MikhailK I am not sure I understand. Which old patch(es) are you comparing to?

• @thepalalias, if I recall correctly, Orion 9b for example.

• @MikhailK You should be able get long non-spanning files (as in a little under 4 minutes) just by using that recording limit option as discussed. 230 seconds should a quite safe value and you could push it up a few more if you liked. I have not tested yet, but it could be just that simple.

• @thepalalias,

From one point of view I realize that. But... as I said previously, recording time "every time" stayed the same 29mins. Maybe I don't get something here...

Anyway, your thought means that if I set 230 secs for this new "non-spanning file" then after I start recording it will automatically stop recording after 230 secs? or what?

• @MikhailK That is correct. And the recording time would say 230 seconds every time until the memory card had less than that left.

• I think that knowing how many seconds you have left before the shot stops is, overall, more useful than how much is left on that card while recording.

• @thepalalias,

Thanx. Everything's clear now.

I totally disagree with you. Knowing how much is left on the card during each recording means a lot to me and for many people!

Just imagine - you made several shots on your card. And suddenly it happens you need to shoot something quickly! For instance, it happens all the time I take some shots of my child. I don't wanna calculate in my mind how much time is REALLY left on the card!

Anyway, some people like it, some don't. It's a matter of taste.

• @thepalalias,

In addition :-) Another example... You take some great shots and suddenly forget about the time limit. Please agree, it can happen. And while you're taking this shot (and you don't plan it to stop) your GH2 says - "sorry, master.... :-)" It was your choice...

• Thanks @thepalalias - 32GB class 10 SanDisk, AQ1

Digging through http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/526/gh2-stutterjudderstrobe-issues-discussion/p1 right now.

And yes, 60p is satisfactory.

• @Chief Great best of luck.

@MikhailK Different strokes for different folks. I find it easy to check after each clip since they are only 4 minutes, and I tend to remember. :)

• Mysteron Burst Mode. 900k i frames in Intra sustained 5 secs... And because its variable = often longer recordings. This particular recording shown below lasted 18 seconds and was manually stopped by me. Top recordings at 5 seconds will get you 171Mbps data rate. This could be particularly brilliant for night recordings.

When it runs out of bandwidth the recording will just stop normally. This is probably the GH2 ceiling.

Don't even bother putting in a crap sd card for this one.

Driftwood 'Mysteron' Burst Mode - seti.zip
    mysteron burst mode - v hi quality at burst.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    mysteron burst mode - higher iframes shorter rec times.png
    1290 x 675 - 217K
    900k i frames intra - Driftwood Mysteron Burst Mode at 5 secs.png
    1295 x 679 - 243K
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions