Personal View site logo
Can you direct and DP at the same time? ( for a indie feature)
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • Stephen Soderbergh DPs many of his movies under the assumed name Peter Andrews. His films aren't shit. So I'd say if you have the talent you can do both.

• @brianluce: Exactly. I'm a professional DP, but I couldn't direct at the same time. As a director you need to focus on the story, script and always working with your actors. While the director can (and in my opinion, should be) involved with the visuals, they still shouldn't worry about something like we need to worry about, like negative fill, filtration or bounce. If one was to DP and direct, I think either side could be lacking (and if it is, then let it be the visuals, acting is still the most important), especially on a feature.

• They are two distinct skill sets and the info in this thread is garbage. The only time you should try and do both is if you have no other choice. As Bwhiz says, Liman did it because it was his only option. Can you do it? yes. Should you do it? NO. A director should work with the actors and the script, not worry about lighting ratios and hot spots.

• Thanks guys for your great responses. Bwhitz; you hit the nail on the head. Thank you guys so much!

• I think it depends on the filmmaker, the kind of films they make, the way their process works. I would say choose what you think is best for you - if you've made it work, or you feel working this way is the only way you can work, you should keep it up.

Some filmmakers are all about the frame on a moment to moment basis. Some stand off to the side and watch the actors. Some directors like to operate the camera themselves, but don't take a DP credit. I don't think there's any one right way to make a film, just the way that works best for you.

I can sympathize with producers who might balk at a first time director also being DP, but if you've produced some good work in this manner and they're still not interested then I think you must look for better producers.

I really do think filmmaking takes all types. Many of us who have come up on DV/HD/DSLR type cams running NLEs at home and even having the option to mix sound or color grade or do VFX work probably exhibit more of a hands-on, DIY philosophy.

• I always direct/DP my own stuff. I think it's easier, no delegating and no explaining, I just put the camera where I want and shoot.

IMO, I think they should have always been the same job, but with film this just wasn't possible. You needed someone who knew the film stock, exposure meters, ect... it USED to be a full time job. So it made sense that this is where the DP position came from, but just seems out-of-date in next-gen production. I think one of the big advantages of digital is that it now allows the director to shoot his own stuff, yet so many people seem adamant on keeping them separate. The unions in hollywood want them to remain separate because then there are more jobs, guilds, and bureaucracy for them to take money from. So there's that. Then I think there is also support from the people that somehow fell into the director position, for some reason or another, and can't actually shoot their own films... so they pretend like a DP is a necessary position to cover up for the fact that they don't know what they're doing. This is most of hollywood unfortunately. Directing is apparently, and unfortunately, more of a "ceremonial" position than anything these days. Of course, there are the artuers and greats, like Kubrick, who have complete control and mastery over photography. This is the only pure form of directing if you ask me. I think that the title director should be changed to "story/performance supervisor". Otherwise, "Director" implies that one has complete mastery and control over all artistic/creative aspects of a film, when allot of the time they don't.

I've herd more than a few times around hollywood here that if you want to direct... don't get good at anything else. This to me, is probably the most insulting and disgusting statement I've ever heard. Directors should be good at ALL aspects of film-making... not just people who hire others and then throw their opinions around.

BTW, your trailer looks great! I wouldn't hire a DP and compromise your vision just because some people think "it's the professional thing to do". You know what you're doing... keep doing it!

• imo its better to have more people, im one man army myself but ive come to terms that if you are doing more than one stuff you may do them great, but somethings may slip past you, otherwise if you are focused on one area the result will be better and that shows on the final product!

i would say try to get some one willing to help you do DP, but if you cannot go ahead and put it in your best, try to have your diagram of light as established as possible on paper to easy of the work when shooting!

btw trailer looks great very promising, i think i have seen on of the actors somewhere!