Personal View site logo
Good cheap SDHC for hacked cameras
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • Has anybody in Oz tested the Dick Smith-branded class 10 cards? Any idea who makes them? (16GB @ $70 is Not cheap, I know - but occasionally I have to dash out and buy some storage at the last minute)

• i am using transcend 32GB (the class 10 blue one) i believe its the ultimate. I also have the sandisk 16gb 45mb/s. They are similar. With both i can span on Drewnet in HBR, but i cant span at 24p.

• what about this card? 32gb and 23 mb/s writing speed supposedly. Brand: CnMemory. 19 EUR http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160632816200&clk_rvr_id=375026755438

• @disneytoy

it is cheap cards topic, use Sandisk one :-)

• Hello, anyone use the SanDisk SDSDU-064G-A11 64GB Ultra SDXC? I want to buy, but need to confirm it works with GH-2 hacks. Thanks.

• I was told by Sandisk-support that GH2 won't support 64gb of this card. He suggested me to call Panasonic Support

• I ordered one from the above link which is Beach Camera on 03/18. I finally got it after a while of calling no answer, email complaint. Dunno what the problems from but PC and also Mac book pro won't read

• Sandisk 64GB Ultra SDXC 30MB/s (Class 10) for $59.95 seem really good for the price, cheaper than 64GB Transcend. I bought two.

• I´m a GH1 user and here´s my experience with cards and patches: Transcend 32gb class 10 (old yellow one) - max 6-7mb/s write speed I had problems with reliable patch, other patches (I´ve tried all of them) didn´t work (after 5-10s allways error)

Kingston 32gb class 10- (ultimate 133x)- wasn´t better.. write speed 7-8mb/s same as transcend but with less errors with reliable in-camera playback patch

Later I found this tread and I was interested in Extremememory 32gb class 10 that fatpig mentioned.. bought it from amazon and I was really surprised.. I´m shooting almost 2months with blackout-lpowells patch (25p and 50p) and I didn´t had any errors .. I didn´t benchmarked that card because I think it will be probably the same as fatpigs results .. thank you fatpig

• i have the class6 16gb trancent card, en it is ad least 4 years old, and exact the same blue color. But sanity v.2 works on it...

• If you go Transcend, I believe you want the "Ultimate" class 10 card which is a dark steely blue colour (http://www.transcend-info.com/products/images/FlashCards/DigitalCameras/SDHC%20Class%2010%20Card/gb_csuFlashCard_list_SDHC10_110817.jpg) not the older yellow class 10 card.

• I just got a Pretec SDXC 64G Class 16, a newer version with 433x( Purple paper case) (http://www.pretec.com.tw/products/memory-cards/sd-card/item/sd/sdxc-433x-class16) not older version (white card).

They claim this card READ@60MB, WRITE@35MB, I had one older white card@class 16, It works just fine@88mb with some drop to cancel the recording. When I found the 433x version and I bought it now. It costs just @2999NTD= 100 usd

and I tested it with transcend RDF8(usb3.0)

It works really good at 35MB Write, amazing 100usd !

Pretec433sdxc64-transcendP8.jpg
    590 x 693 - 123K
  • Hello everyone,
    first post here, I'm glad to share my (bad) experience :
    Bought a 32gb transcend class 10 before shooting a gig, just applied the hack the day before with the awesome 176mbps patch.
    Went into troubles, dunno if it's strongs contrasty and varying concerts light that made the codec at its fullest. Read that foliage is a good stress test, I will try.
    I lost some shots, annoying for a live event. I should consider not blindly trusting other experience without making my own tests next time :)
    Symptoms :
    after 1 or more minutes get write speed error with panny 20mm, rokkor 58mm 1.4.

Next time I will try with one of my two other 16gb transcend class 10.

PS : every cards I bought comes from reputable sellers, no cheap knockoffs.
  • Heres the Benchmark for extrememory 32gb.
    extrememory32.gif
    416 x 378 - 31K
  • My transcend 16gb is not fast enough for driftwoods 170M. My 32gb extrememory does it without a problem. ill be posting some benchmarks soon.
  • +1 Transcend Class 10. I use a bunch. My eventual goal is to be able to finish out a given shoot without overwriting any data. (I'm not quite there yet for my longer shoots. Especially as the data rates keep climbing...NOT a complaint!)

@Jive , I like your thinking about 16GB over 32GB. I guess I was thinking bigger is better, but I think in the future I'll get 16GB as it does make more sense for most situations.

By the way, I'm seeing that SDHC cards are becoming the new tape stock. I know several producers who just leave these as their 'master tapes' for archiving future projects and never overwrite. Again, a little too rich for my blood for most of my personal projects but I can see the value for certain shoots.
  • @fatpig wow! but I live in italy, so i don't think they'll send that here. missed opportunity..
  • @johnnym still waiting for my eval of the Delkins to come in.
  • @johnnym: these are UHS. GH2 does not have UHS. So theres no point buying them over a fast class 10 card, like extrememory, wich is great, and even cheap when bought normally :) - crystaldiskmark says 15 mb/s
  • For any of you in Germany, i bought a 32gb extrememory from ebay for 4,95 euro , bundled with a prepaid sim card from klarmobil, if you are careful and cancel after 2 months, there are no strings attached. The sd-card works great, even with 176mbit patch under all circumstances. it is double as fast as the transcend 16gb class 10. its a no.brainer! :)
  • MicroCenter's Class 10 32GB card works really well for me. $45. I bought two.
  • Am using transcend class 10 in my GH1. Was fine with 100mbps hack on 1080p24fps, but i just repacked to the 50mpbs (the blackout?) version as i wanted to shoot at 720p60fps this weekend.. it crashed ALL THE TIME due to write speed. am going to hunt around to see if this is 'typical'.. mb i got a dud, but it has been fine previously... will look into getting a sandisk with 30mbs write speed and hope that corrects things.