Personal View site logo
Driftwood Quantum X Settings, Series 2: Sedna A, B, C
  • 1030 Replies sorted by
  • I had some freezes with my Sandisk 32gb 30mb/s card yesterday when I was shooting the stuff I posted upthread (Sedna 'A' AQ1, 24H mode). It always happened after a couple minutes of recording so I wasn't all that bothered by it. It's still way more stable for me than the GH13 which used to sometimes lock up after just a few seconds, depending on the shot.

• @evero kind of lost too... where can I find these settings? Gop3zilla with Sedna in hbr/25p

• @gameb

Here. Please report..

setd.zip
    992B
  • @Oedipax: Does that mean, it´s a feature of the patch itself, rather than an overload of the card?

• hmm. In cinema 24p i have no problem. But, when put it on 720p50, my card is to slow for SH and for H. (weird because 720p50 on H has a lower bitrate then 24p on H). I use a sandisk hd video class 10 card (45mb/s) with sedna AQ1

• Just wanted to congratulate on Sedna C AQ1. Had no problems on a 16G Sandisk extreme (30mbs). Very nice grain, no banding, no blocking, smooth and fluent. Like it a lot.

• @conscius the bitrate has absolute nothing to do with it. It's about data throughput. 720p and HBR modes are far more complex and will result in freezes more often on slower cards..... 720p is a problem child and 720p60 freezes after 1 second with the new Sedna patch (it also did the same with other Quantum X patches).

Sedna C has slightly less detail compared to A so less chance on freezing the camera.

• @sir_danish, I assume it's the card, but I don't know. It was super detailed, super wide shots stopped down to f/8, so it's really pushing the limits. Plus a lot were locked off static shots, or very slow pans. Also it was about 80 degrees in the hot sun so that might reduce performance a bit as well.

At some point I'll probably upgrade to a 64gb 95mbps card and hopefully that will eliminate any issues.

• @sohus, ow, i didn't know that!, thanks for explanation! @Kihlian, i going to test the version with Gop3zilla.

• Here are some screengrabs from footage that I shot with Quantum X Dark Matter v3. Lenses used where Voigt 25/.95 and SLR Magic 12mm/1.6. I do not know the exact ISO settings anymore. I think they vary between 320 - 1.600 ISO. Some of the footage looks totally awesome.

Testing Sedna now but it doesn't survive my death chart torture tests. I might stick with Dark Matter or Orion as I don't want to invest too much in expensive cards. Even my 64GB card has some problems with Sedna.

Quantum X Dark Matter v3 test 6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 7M
    Quantum X Dark Matter v3 test 7.png
    1920 x 1080 - 8M
    Quantum X Dark Matter v3 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 530K
    Quantum X Dark Matter v3 test 1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 506K
    Quantum X Dark Matter v3 test 3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 496K
    Quantum X Dark Matter v3 test 5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 308K
    Quantum X Dark Matter v3 test.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 488K
  • @sohus: Which 64GB card do you use? 95mb/s?

• @Driftwood, @thepalalias - I started having this audio silence after installing a new factory firmware. WIth 1.0 I never had this issue.

• Will future patches deal with aliasing issues?

• @uzland just quoting @driftwood *** NEWS *** The next setting under development will be called 'VY Canis Majoris' and utilise the best deblocking filtering we can get together with matrices like Sedna and Dark Matter.

In simple terms: Deblocking works quite literally as the name suggests by smoothing out the boxiness or blocking of each predicted macroblock edge. Smoothing the edges by utilising a range of values from -6 (least deblocking keeps more of the picture) to +6 (very smooth) a balance can be struck by working out a threshold value (another -6 to +6 range) where the deblocking kicks in and when it does - how much to deblock. This is known as a deblocking Loop Filter.

The sharpe edges? Well, youve just found the problems in Panny's stock deblocking loop, this is being analysed for the up-and-coming new settings 'VY Canis Majoris' which will be a BIG analysis of deblocking in INTRA settings. The setting will employ Sedna matrices with new deblocking variables - hopefully better than Panny's default values.

• @Uzland Interesting. It hadn't been something that was a priority for me. If it were, I would likely have opted for a camera that had a buffer that included a moment or two priority to hitting the record button in the recording; like some of the AVCHD camcorders in recent years.

That said, I'm sorry that it's troubling you and can only advise the combination of using Firmware 1.0 patches and reporting the issue to Panasonic and VK.

• i just made some shots with sedna A1Q with gop3zilla at 6400 ISO. Upload soon.

• I just realized that the transcoded files don't have the audio gap, only when they are in timeline. What may be the problem?

• @uzland – If it's only .5sec at the beginning of every clip, just have a little run-up at the beginning of each take and get over it. In the old tape-only days, you'd need to put at least 3" of run-up before a take to allow for pre-roll. "Camera" – "Speed" – "Action". Now .5" in the middle of a clip is another matter!

• @emrr you don't have that opportunity at a wedding lol You record as it happens without knowing sometimes what's to come.

• @Uzland I don't shoot many weddings, but the last one I did for a friend, I brought lots of extra batteries and media and just didn't stop shooting.

Easier to edit than "explain". :)

• Someone shout SPEED

• @uzland – With respect, we're talking about (~12) FRAMES here! If you don't know what's about to happen, just keep turning or better still concentrate & anticipate the action. That's what documentary makers have always done.

• @thepalalias and @emrr - thanks for the tips although they are not solution, they are alternative to solution. Will let you know when I figure out what the problem is so that you don't have to drain your battery or waste media :))

• @uzland – Again, with respect... the solution IS to stop worrying about .5" at the start of a clip and worry about something more creative. Just let it go.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions