Personal View site logo
Opteka SteadyVid Pro
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • I think many users of the Opteka Steadyvid Pro will get "tripped up"by the fact that the counterweights at the bottom do not come in fine individual increments like the Steadicam Merlin. Thus people will find themselves locked into very gross drop times and dynamic balance arrangements, resulting in lots of pendulum effect in their shots (i.e. According to the above unboxing video, the manual says Opteka supply 1 x 335g plus 2 x 90g weights. Compare this to Steadicam Merlin supplying 3 x 57g plus 6 x 114g). Users could find themselves needing to rever to the use of some sort of DIY 1/4" threaded rod and large bumper/fender washers instead of the supplied weights on the lower spar? Over time, i am sure some sort of "Opteka Cookbook" will emerge like the Merlin Cookbook to help users with weight settings for various camera/lens configurations.

Putting aside the "smoothness" and build quality of the actual pivots, one possible advantage of the Opteka system over the Steadicam Merlin/Smoothee gimbal geometry is that (like the commercial Blackbird and the DIY Wsclater design) Opteka offers a pan wheel for independent locking or dampening of pan axis with the user's thumb. This can assist when tilting, as there is less likelihood of unwanted "pan wobble" being introduced when tilting. Such control relies on silken touch from the operator of course. Tilting when walking with the Smoothee for instance is almost guaranteed to have pan wobbles.

• I don't think this video was shot with the SteadyVid Pro, I think some older version was used...

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Will do - looks like the fliers above are as wobbly as I am :)

• found this one too...

• Looks like you can get some decent stuff if your camera's lightweight enough

• @soundgh2

Remember to post report.

Cheap stabs are interesting and popular among newbies :-)

• Arrived incredibly quickly from The States - 47th Street in NY are swift! Un-boxed it and initially looks well built - will have a fiddle this weekend.

• would love to see a review with the GH2.

• I wonder how it compares to my newly modded steadicam smoothee with GH1 (aka baby merlin)

• Aye Capn - was just being lazy not posting a link! :)

• You mean this one?

• It's been despatched - there's currently an unboxing on youtube - haven't seen any more vids

• Please do post your findings i realise it wont be as good build. but pondering if it would be a cheap substitute until i can get my hands on a wondalan stabaliser