Personal View site logo
14mm F2.8 Samyang, Rokinon lens topic

Mount: Canon (buy cheap converter for m43, lens has aperture ring, so it is ok)

Price: $299 only

Amazing lens. Sharp as hell. I have one with original Samyang name.
    Only negative is some distortion present. But I love it anyway.

Where to get? - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MX5AVK/
  • 29 Replies sorted by
  • hmmm. It is a great lens and I had forgotten about it for some time now. And I really need a wide focal length. The olympus 12mm f2 is very good too but in europe I'm guessing it's going to cost a fortune. Also, samyang is better investment as it's all manual with aperture ring and covers full-frame. I'm a bit woried how it will behave in Low light though, the f2 of the oly is very useful and it's 4mm wider which is quite significant. I wonder how the two compare in terms of sharpness at f2.8...
  • Vitaliy. Do you have the ED AS IF UMC or the IF ED MC Aspherical version?. I have read that the newer/improved version (ED AS IF UMC) is well worth the extra cash. what do you think?
  • Olympus is, of course, smaller. But it still has wired focusing. For 14mm having F2 is not so cruicial.
  • @stefanos
    I think that they no longer make first version, but I am not sure.
    Mine is ED AS IF UMC.
  • Isn't the 14mm F2.5 about the same price? Is the 14mm F2.8 really that much sharper?
  • Olympus 12mm has mechanical focus as well as wired :) You pull back the focus ring to engage mechanics.

Great deal, this Samyang.

Although 12mm is quite big difference compared to 14mm on Micro Four Thirds, it is much more expensive than the Samyang, and can only be used on MFT.

On a Canon DSLR like 5DMkII / 7D as well as on GH2, the Samyang is sensational value for money. I just bought the Samyang 35mm F1.4 as well. Whatever Samyang are drinking at their factory I want some of it!!

That the Samyangs have aperture rings and full frame coverage is icing on the already very tasty cake.
  • @EOSHD

Did you test it personally?
    My understanding from small talks that I had is that only difference is that focus position is dependent from focus ring position only, not from speed of turning.
  • why lord are we europeans always cursed never to have same good deals as americans? the cheapest I can find it in Europe is about 415$ here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAMYANG-14mm-F2-8-ED-IF-UMC-BRAND-NEW-LENS-CANON-/230644636656?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35b37ddbf0
    and here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samyang-14mm-f-2-8-ED-IF-UMC-Nikon-/390186400688?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item5ad8ebfbb0
    but I don't want to get stupid canon mount. Also, I searched but I couldn't find any clips with 14mm +gh2 :(
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Nope, not tested yet. You're right it is in fact a 'simulated' mechanical focus mode, not actually mechanical. I was under impression it worked a bit like the Sigma focus rings (on 24mm F1.8 for example) but it doesn't.

Here is what DPReview have to say about it:

[The Olympus 12mm F2] becomes the first in the system to feature 'snap focus', a system by which the focus ring can be pulled back, engaging a modified manual focus mode.

In this mode the lens is designed to feel much more like a conventional mechanically-operated manual focus lens, rather than the usual focus-by-wire behavior.

There are four major differences between 'snap focus' and conventional manual focus mode. Firstly, the relationship between the focus ring movement and the movement of the focusing elements is fixed - rather than being speed-sensitive. This direct relationship allows the focusing ring's movement to be stopped at either end of the focus travel which, in turn, has allowed Olympus to add proper distance and depth-of-field scales to the lens. The final difference you'll notice in snap focus mode is that the damping of the ring's movement has been modified to provide a little more resistance and more 'feel.' Such engineering touches don't come cheap, of course, but really do help make the lens feel like a high-end manual focus optic.
  • 12/2.0 has soft corners. Prolly much sharper at 2.8 4.0 5.6. Then why pay premium? Fast AF?
  • It is the only 12mm F2 lens on the system. Not 14mm, 12mm :) Difference between 24mm and 28mm on full frame is quite significant in terms of look. For a Canon or Nikon this Samyang is a super bargain but I'd prefer the Olympus for the GH2.

One option I am interested in getting for my GH2 later this year is the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 with Birger mount. Electronic follow focus, yes please!
  • I tested the Olympus 12mm F2 on my GH2 at my local camera store when an Olympus executive had the lens, EP-3 and other olympus products for display and pre-order. Great lens, sharp at F2! It works in AF on the GH2 (for video) but not as fast as it is on the EP-3. AF is quite fast on the GH2 as the EP-3 when taking stills. Very quite and blazing fast AF on the EP-3 (for video). The manual snap focus on the lens, pretty smooth and it will be really handy when doing AF. I will guess the lens is not optimize for the GH2.

EP-3 really does produces some great picture and I think the GH2 is gonna have a good competition considering the rep said the firmware that was on it wasn't the production version and many changes are gonna be made on it before it starts shipping out. I tried putting in my sd-card in the EP-3 to take some sample footage but the rep refused. But I am definitely buying the lens!
  • Tokina 11-16 + Birger adapter. Does the adapter work on GH2? Is it future proof?

12mm/2.0 had soft corners at 2.0 based on online photo samples.

It would need to be much bigger to give sharp corner at 2.0. See the Samyang lens. The big front element giving sharp corner at 2.8.

prefer corner sharpness for street photography. it gives more room for cropping. The fast aperture is useful in low lighting... but I'd prefer longer and faster lens in low light. I like the super fast AF of the lens... but I'd need E-P3 body, too. 12/2.0 + hood + E-P3... $1700? Trust me. I wanna get it... but $$$$. Plus PEN sucks in video.

I'd get 7-14 instead. Really wide. Rectilinear. Corner sharp at 4.0. Great travel lens. If not fast enough, pull out 20.7 or 50.4. The lower light, the longer focal length... that's fine with me.

Anyways... I guess Samyang makes some kickass glasses.
  • Sweeeet. Go Samyang!!!
  • great lens, used it on a fair few jobs......was used with a merlin steadicam and 5d here........
  • Amazon has a very nice deal on these right now in Four Thirds (not µFT, but can be adapted easily). The 24mm to, seems they are selling these out – who is filming with a Four Thirds anyway?

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0091Q4FJ6/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=ce-de

• korg5.jpg
    773 x 665 - 55K

If you can live with the inherent distortion and the lack of autofocusing, the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 lens provides by far the cheapest way to get a really wide-angle lens that can produce sharp images.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/lenses/full-frame/samyang-14mm-f-2.8-ed-as-if-umc

taurus_dolly13.jpg
    593 x 426 - 27K
    taurus_dolly14.jpg
    598 x 396 - 68K
  • Lens will be released in E mount version at August 25.

• Rokinon FE14M-E 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens for Sony E-mount for $249

https://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE14M-Ultra-mount-Cameras/dp/B00HAF167Y/

• ROKINON is proud to announce its new 14mm f/2.8 and 85mm f/1.4 full frame lenses built for the Canon EOS R mirrorless system.

This ultra wide-angle and fast telephoto are the first 14mm and 85mm prime lenses with precision manual focus control to be available in Canon RF mount.

Both lenses sport a new exterior design with a contemporary look that matches and handles well with Canon’s new full-frame mirrorless cameras.

Each lens offers a metal chassis, weather sealing, a metal aperture control with a slip-resistant matte finish, and Ultra Multi-Coating.

The new ROKINON 14mm f/2.8 Canon RF mount ultra wide-angle lens provides a dramatic rectilinear 115.7° view that can focus as close as 11inches and is perfect for astrophotography, landscapes, extreme sports, interiors, and real estate imagery.

Its advanced 14 element-10 group design utilizes four highly specialized element types [High Refractive Index, Hybrid Aspherical, Aspherical and Extra-Low Dispersion] to produce sharply defined images with minimal distortion and chromatic aberrations.

Features include a built-in petal shaped lens hood and a rear gelatin filter holder.

The new ROKINON 85mm F/1.4 Canon RF mount telephoto lens offers a very fast f/1.4 maximum aperture for effective low light shooting, fast shutter speed capture, and precise selective focus control.

Its optical design consists of 9 elements in 7 groups including one Hybrid-Aspherical element to reduce chromatic aberrations for increased clarity and sharpness.

Features include a removable lens hood, a curved blade diaphragm for pleasing bokeh, and a non-rotating 72mm filter mount for easy use of polarizing and other filters that require precise positioning.

This ROKINON short telephoto for Canon RF mount makes it a highly effective optic for travel, candid, portrait, and close up photography.

These first two ROKINON full frame lenses designed for Canon RF mount will be available in April from authorized ROKINON dealers.

Preorder - https://www.adorama.com/rk1428rf.html