Personal View site logo
Cheap Noir DSLR Lighting
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • True, but keep in mind you'd like to keep it around 5.6 in aperture if possible and as low iso to keep it clean. And you'll need more wattage as you go wider too.

• Thank you @Ebacherville! ;)

@Gabel My friend have used worklight (3x500W) and home made barndoors,shooting on DV cameras-they works fine indeed, however I think that GH1 could exploit a low-watt kit ....(just think that using DSRL/m43 you can use a cheap 70W 300W equivalent CFL lamp for backlighting, it wasn't possible with a DV CCD 1/3"...)

Here you can see some light setups for noir photography (not video) using 2-3 fresnel light http://www.darkmansdarkroom.com/film-noir-lighting-with-lighting-diagrams/

However, what about halogen PAR lamps (Par 30,100W) ? Anyone has used these cheap lamps?

• Well one tip I do have, but you might not be able to afford it, but it would be to get a diffusion filter (like a pro-mist), which would get you that softness you want. They also help with getting highs to burn out. I would recommend filming in color, with an aperture around 4-5.6 and then lifting highs in post instead.

But for lights, getting a solid reflector clamp light with indacent bulbs would work for some things, but you really need barn doors to really SPOT the light. Plus getting some bigger ones (like 2KW) would really help, as you can really light up a set with them. And smoke machine does wonders...

I know my tips are probably out of your league I'm afraid.

• You said you were using cheap lights.. I assumed this was a zero budget thing..

• @Mr_Moore Yes, I'm using GH1 (hacked) and fast primes ;) @Ebacherville diy fresnel light?? really??

• Guys, he has a GH1. No extended tele mode or ISO bug there.

• you can add the grain in post easily, I think its a bad idea to cram yourself into tele mode just for the grain. Get a nice clean image on set, and dirty it up in post.

• As for lights, spot light bulbs used in outdoor fixtures on homes.. If you want to try a diy cheap fresnel, got to the office supply store and get the flat magnifier sheets, it's a freznel lens, might work..

As for getting grain , shoot in extra tele mode.. Adds some grainy noise.. At lower ISO, Or use the ISO noise bug to your advantage.

As for the high contrast and wide open for DOF, try a variable Nutral Density filter to knock down the image with out closing the aperture to get shallow DOF yet dark images..

And lastly shoot flat and correct in post.

• Rent some arri kits! If you have to buy just get some halogen work lights and spend time and care flagging them off.

But the best idea is to probably spend a little cash and rent equipment that will allow you to shoot faster and with less headaches.