Personal View site logo
PTool 3.60d topic
  • 259 Replies sorted by
  • @Sage
    "24p bitrate the goal"
    Isnt there already a decent 24p out of the box?
    Im more hoping for decent workng stable 25p,higher bitrates for other filmmodes and possible HDMI improvements are the goal.

Great news on the progressive patches...look forward to giving them a test
  • True there are lots of goals, I think @Sage was just stating his preferential one. Nice video by the way.
  • I think 1080p 24fps is the main use for dslr filmmaking. Even if it is decent on the gh2, I think most would like it to be better. If you intend to do some grading etc. the files does break up quite easily. Now the glaring fault like no 25 fps, low 720p bitrate, are also very important but should not negate the 1080p 24fps one.
  • 24p as main use for DSLR filmaking is a whole other debate...not negating at all just that 24p on GH2 currently is very nice out of the box...the other film modes suck ass right now and can benefit from the hack.
    Many use 25p. Many use 50p/60p
    Hence me saying higher bitrate for other filmodes (and not even 100mbps 28'll be good enough for me as long as the mud is gone).
    Im sure sage is just stating his preference.
    Anyway back on topic.
  • PTool 3.61D is coming soon.

With big breakthrought.
  • Just wanting to confirm one thing: Is language change implemented & working? I'm thinking of getting a GH2 and joining the testing fun, but the one I want is in Japanese...

[sd card related question moved to new topic "Gear/Panasonic GH2 with UHS-I and SDXC"]
  • @Mimirsan, I have good results for 720p with mpgxsvcd's settings: when filming scenes with high detail, average bitrate even shoots up to 31Mbit (Stream parser: Average Total Bitrate = 33.402.929) - only afaik you can only use them, when recording 1 sec of Fhd first... But I can live with that :-)
  • @Madact:

I used for 3 days the new Sandisk Extreme Pro, but it`s returned to vendor, because it is as fast as a class 6 Transcend SDHC.

I tested it with photo burst mode. I stopped the time the gh2 needs to write the full buffer to sd-card.

Now I ordered Transcend Class 10 which should be fast enough for most of all settings.

• Just this morning I got my new Sandisc extreme (without "pro", 30 MB/s), and made some short tests - recorded Mpeg video @ 180 Mbit... Haven't done any thorough comparitive testing (with controlled camera speed), but when I compared 2 screenshots of the same scene with about the same camera motion speed (720p AVCHD with mpgxsvcd's settings vs. High bitrate Mpeg), there wasn't much difference in resolution. The Avchd was darker though, so I have more shadow detail in the Mpeg (apparently not depending on environmental light changes).
  • This is not topic to discuss SD cards, with have other topics about that.
  • Sorry Vitaly, my bad.

Can you comment on the language switch?
  • @madact

I have a Japanese GH2 and the lanuage switch patch does work.
  • Thank you Andrew.
    And 24p is decent; now it will be incredible! (for me, it is most important aim apart from 10bit)
  • Question for you guys. Does the HDMI output now include audio? Or just video? I would really love to have the HDMI port to have both audio and video. It would change a lot for me. thank you.
  • I believe there is audio during playback. Not sure about recording.
  • Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I know there is audio during regular playback. I don't know why Panasonic removed the audio from the video during live streaming via HDMI. I can't think of a good reason other than to screw it up on purpose so they don't cannibalize their more expensive products. Vitaly, is it possible to enable audio output via HDMI during live streaming?
  • is a G3 version be in the works?
  • Vitaly, do you plan to add the "remove compatible battery test" function ? I own an unbranded battery for the GH2 and from times to times the camera says that it doesn't like it and automatically shuts down.
  • @moby59 : It is not a firmware problem: If it's like me, the generic battery you use hasn't got the chip to communicate with the GH2 (and tell him it is time to switch off the body cause the voltage is low). The brutal shutdown which occurs with your battery means it is empty :)
  • i think we could ask vitaliy about this, but i think, that there is no special, unproducable chip inside. i think manufacturers reproduce everything in this battery, i even have a third barty one that says "newest generation chip" but it still doesnt work. so im sure its some authentication method which can be disabled. but this is completely offtopic, lets move to gh2 batteries discussion.
  • Great Hack!

Wishes from me:
    - full manual exposure for the avchd and mjpeg modes (i don't like the "auto iso")
    - as living in a pal-country: 25p rules ;)

I am looking forward to the upgrade of ptool
  • @PSmiles
    You have full manual control all ready... or im missing something?
    Just switch your shooting mode to "M".
  • @daihard
    But pressing the video button, starts filming always with auto iso on. As in other photo-modes.

The only full manual control is in the 24p creative video mode.
  • @PSmiles, at first that same thing happend to me, just select Creative Movie -> Manual Movie (is in the left of 24p Cinema), and then you can select 1080i, 720p, 720p mjpeg, all manual with no "auto ISO" ;)
    The gh2 menu needs some practice, is a little cryptic :P
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions