Personal View site logo
Wierd image glitch, first so far
  • I don't know if anyone else has had this issue. I am currently editing a short that we filmed using Driftwood's Quantum V9b and of the hundreds of GB's of files that we recorded, this is the first time I see this. Basically I noticed a "flicker" during editing and when I looked closer (i.e. frame by frame) I noticed that the bottom 9/10ths of one frame (still03) was showing the info from a prior one. You can see that the hair in the top 1/10th of the frame is following the right sequence. I am using the 64/95 sandisk.

Anyone else have this issue? Perhaps someone knowledgeable could enlighten me as to how this might happen and if it is something that is avoidable or simply one of those things that can and will occasionally happen. I seriously hope this won't be a recurrent issue as I still have a lot of material left to edit.

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Could you delete "00021.MTS.still005" so I can reupload and have it follow still004? TIA

• This is the wrong thread for this - use quantum Thread. Looking at it, its an oddity. Never seen anything like that before and Ive shot hours of footage with 9b. Could be a 'stick' on the write/unfinished frame. do you preformat before jobs etc? Easily corrected. Whats the frame/s either side of these like?

Send me the mts I'd like to have a look at it.

• Sorry, didn't mean to post in wrong thread (or start new one)... All other frames are fine, I have posted the two frames prior (still001 & 002) and subsequent (still004 & 005) to the glitched frame (still003)

Yes, I always format card in camera after i've transferred previous content and begin new shoot.

• So there's ONE glitched frame? I reckon thats a Write Error. Ive never ever seen that.

• @spacewig @videohq send me the link to your mts files. Was your 9b settings untouched or messed with? We need to get to the bottom of this. If this happens, then I'm not happy and we need to change things.

You can get a dropout-like glitch when transferring files to a computer, but the recording on the sdcard should be fine, try and use Panasonic's Restore/Recovery card utility see if alters the glitch.

@videohq If you are still using that Pony card you probably will need to downgrade the bitrate settings.

• @driftwood

Yup, just one frame. If you look at still001 through 005 you can see that the subject is moving away from the camera and to the right of the frame but in still003, though the top part with his hair is OK, the lower part is taken from at least 10 frames back.

As for the SD card, that file is looooooooooong gone and the card has been reformatted probably 20 times since so the likely hood of recovery would appear negligible. Besides it doesn't matter for me as I have better takes and simply wanted to report this finding to see if I was alone in having experienced this issue.

However, if you want I can upload the original file unmolested to dropbox along with the relevant info. Let me know how to proceed.

BTW, it's not my intention to alarm anyone with my post and I'm certainly not complaining or criticizing these absolutely fabulous hacks. Just reporting my findings on the site where those who create them are well placed to assess these types of anomalies.

• Just noticed in the glitched frame a kind of green-red ying-yang like blob near the top of the blender. Probably of no significance but I outlined in yellow in the attached jpeg just in case.

Still003 hilite.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 398K
  • @spacewig Thanks for the report. I'm NOT too alarmed at this stage as this has never been seen before. Looks like a media error to me - thats just plain weird and it certainly doesnt look like a macroblock problem. Somethings sent it all skewith - could be a dodgy sector/write error/read error when imported.

All digi cams/hdslrs/video cams are not immune to the occasional glitch - the nature of the beast. Happened in film, happens in digital world. It would be of obvious concern if it was nailed down to the setting and that it happened all the time. If you find anymore let me know.

• "All digi cams/hdslrs/video cams are not immune to the occasional glitch"

Even Alexa and Red crash... good to know that it didn't do that! ;-D

• This used to happen to me a lot. First of all format your cards. Second you need to test the card file. Put the card with original files back into camera. Plug into tv via hdmi port and hit play. I am 99.99% sure you won't see anything

• Let me see if I get this right: I upload the glitched video file back on to my reformatted memory card, stick the card in the camera, and when I play it back there is a 99.99% chance the file will be fine? Sorry, that just sounds very dubious.

• @spacewig Yeah, ignore the copy back and play which peterosinki mentions! Its glitched. You can't show the original cus you deleted it so as I said, put it down to a bad sector write glitch. Dont worry Im sure its nothing. If theres loads more we gotta problem. Keep an eagle eye.

• No worries, will do. As I said above, this is the first time I've seen this and wouldn't be surprised if the other 500+ GB of footage I shot for our short (don't ya love double alliterations! Ha...) are glitch-free.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions