Personal View site logo
Actual lines of resolution
  • 68 Replies sorted by
  • Yup. Screengrabs from VLC. Ungraded.

• @Grunf that difference is exactly why I went for the gh13 (back in the days), to be able to shoot out "in the wild".. with extremely light gear. After having been let down by the 7d a couple of times (what looked good whilst shooting turned out shit).

• IMHO Hendrix played a Strat - my mate has a Strat from exactly that era and model make and build (yes he's rich and you can see where Im going with this) Those who do generally do, those who don't analyze why they should, who did, and then assume thats what you need to do - all good and both are valid approaches , I like Hendrix although my chum is v talented.

• that difference is exactly why I went for the gh13 (back in the days), to be able to shoot out "in the wild".. with extremely light gear. After having been let down by the 7d a couple of times (what looked good whilst shooting turned out shit). ..........................

Exactly my experience too.

• Here's my comparison between my 550d and GH2 from when i first brought it. The original 1080p upload should be available to download.

• @jimtreats My worn out macbook usually doesn't tell much on these shootouts, but in this case, the difference is pronounced.

• My johnson is bigger than all of yours combined...so...

Nah...nah...nu..Nah Nahhhhh (while sticking out my tounge). :-)

• @jimtreats That video looked pretty close to me.....

Now where did I put my damn glasses? LOL

• How many lines of resolution do you think the camera they shot this video with has?

... I bet it was allot, since the camera was probably big and professional looking.

• To my eye it was very telling that the GH2 was right in the ballpark with video cams costing 3 or more times as much. Fitted with quality glass I don't see how you couldn't make an excellent nature film with the GH2.

This craze about resolution is a bit overblown. I think that there are so many other aspects that come into play in cinematography. I'd lose my mind if they gave us a solid 4:2:2 and flatter color profiles for the GH series. All I have is a GH13, 550D ML and a couple of Canon Vixia's. Let's keep in perspective that this is an interchangeable lens cam of very high image quality for CHEAP!!! I'm a newbie and I can see the difference between my GH13 and my 550D ML.

I'm just getting started in this field after decades as an Audio Engineer. It's so much fun having such a flexible little tool for so little money. I really don't have the skills to warrant a much more expensive cam, but this camera far exceeds my expectations. I've been cutting my teeth on local Talk shows, Live events and music videos. All low budget to no budget stuff and so it's really great to have such a high quality image as I learn more about filming. I can only imagine what someone with far greater knowledge and ability can accomplish with this camera.

• LOL...@bwhitz thanks for taking me back to the early 80's. It's a shame...though it's been 13 years I'm still shocked by his murder suicide death (his own brother in the background).

• I did a quick and dirty resolution test tonight. I didn't have a chart so I pointed my GH2 at a half eaten pizza from 3 days ago. Pepperoni and mushroom. Anyways guys, I counted hundreds of lines. No joking here, literally hundreds of lines of resolution. Hundreds.

• Anyways guys, I counted hundreds of lines. No joking here, literally hundreds of lines of resolution. Hundreds.

LOL

• It's almost impossible to judge resolution differences looking at compressed Youtube or Vimeo video. Only sure-fire way are screengrabs from ungraded file, upoloaded as lossless PNG.

• Bloom laid it out. The only thing close to the GH2 was the C300. This res test stuff is a red herring because most res tests favor a component of shooting that's not really valid in the world of normal shooting (WFO, high ISO, etc). Look at the C300 vs GH2 (pre Orion GH2 footage, mind you!), and make a judgement.