Personal View site logo
Beauty Queen + Bee Keeper | Driftwood's Quantum 'baby' 25
  • BIG BIG Thank you to both Vitaliy + Driftwood for your amazing work. I never once worried about any camera issues - and focused only my attention on making a great film all day. SanDisk 30mb/s Extreme cards.

This is Driftwood's Quantum 'baby' 25/50. Everything shot at 24L so I would not run out of room. Slow motion shots @ 720 on SH. Neat Video used to clean scenes up a bit. Edit and Color in FCPX 10.0.3

Assorted SuperTakumar lenses from Pentax, Samyang 85mm, Panny 20mm, Olympus 9-18mm, H1 Zooms for audio. Steadicam Merlin. Kessler Pocket Dolly. Manfrotto Monopods '561'

Docustyle shooters - you can shoot with confidence with this patch!

Enjoy - and leave comment if you like. ; )

• 25 Replies sorted by
  • WoW ! Great Job. I have a special respect for Wedding Shooters, especially for better ones like " pchristoph ". For those that have not shot a wedding I could sum it up in one word " scary ! ". And i have done Docs in Far-east and South Africa on K3 and Bolex. Other words come to mind about wedding shooting : tight places, mixed lighting, stressed out characters, wardrobe malfunction, overlapped events shooting across the city ... and did i mentioned responsibility. The word " retake " could be used in Transformers' downtown NewYork car-chase shoot BUT don't even think about it in any wedding. This work is beautifully done. Congratulations to you and the lucky couple.

• @010101 Thank you for the kind words! All that you mention above is very real and true. I usually book a day off after the wedding - just to recover !
    I have found these are the most challenging kind of films to do...and boy, do you learn every aspect of shooting. My goal is to get into Documentary shoots and travel the world shooting and creating great stories : )

• @pchristoph Beautiful! Huge amounts of respect for the care and craft that went into making this piece.

• @SisterCities thank you. Your words push me forward to do even better. Cheers.

• very nice! indeed wedding shoots are very hard one has to be 100 percent ready to start and dont stop for a long day and night!

• Top work from a very gifted operator. Well done @pchristoph. If, and I say 'IF' I ever decide to marry my girl, I'll port you over here to film it!

• @driftwood Wow, that would be absolutely off-the-chain! IF it ever happens...it would be a real honor Nick. One for the books for sure.

• VERY well done!

• Beautiful Work! i have 2 weddings coming up i sure hope i could do something like this Thanks again for your Great Work. nice encouragement

• @pchristoph

Really wonderful work, both from a creative and technical standpoint.

• Great work @pchristoph!

Nice to see more FCPX success stories, super colour grading!

With Neat Video- did you use it inside Motion 5? Usable?

Oh, and great usage of the environment - such picturesque scenery!

• @alcomposer thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Fcpx 10.0.3 update came out days before I started editing my 3 cameras so I was very excited about multicam. 1- GH13, 2 Gh2vk's.
    I used neat video inside motion 5. It was an excercise in patience waiting for clips to render out but the results speak for themselves. I wish Apple would fix their bug so Neat Video would work in fcpx. I was quite amazed how far I was able to push things coloring using Quantum baby. I think our own limitations are the biggest challenges to overcome and not those in our amazing cameras. The discipline to shoot meaningfully and refine my craft is central for me. The saying "it's not the arrows it's the archer" really stuck with me. Not sure who said it, but it was valuable.

• Embarrassingly well done! Congrats!

Any tripods in this or mostly 561s?

• @oscillian thanks.... : ) Also used Manfrotto 190xb and an old Velbon with fluid head for the ceremony footage...but the monopods did the bulk of the work everywhere else. The 561's really are a great piece of kit. I also used a manfrotto magic arm.

• @pcristoph I'm getting that monopod, for sure!

What's your technique for focus, squinting, flat nose stylee against the EVF or winging it with the LCD? Do you punch in before the take just to make sure? :)

I love the flow of things, tight but not stressed, and the cinematography is spot on!

How many of you were shooting? Mostly shot wide open with the fast lenses or do you have to stop down to get sharpness?

• @oscillian all shots using the LCD for focus. It's great for achieving focus other than when in bright sunlight. As for punching in before takes...No, not so much punching in...for live action weddings I tend to keep my eyes up and open to what's happening and anticipate where I need to be to get the shot. If my eye is buried in the evf I sometimes feel like I'm trying to shoot the action from a parascope on a submarine. For outdoor shooting I will flat nose it in bright conditions. I've have been thinking about a zacuto evf. So much money though! Also.. Two shooters, my wife and I are both operators and creative types. We make a solid team. Aperature varies with lighting conditions and effect. Lots of the shoot was inside...so wide open at 1.4 or 2.0 was common.

• @pchristoph Much appreciated! It's hard to find skilled operators so you're lucky to have such a great wife! I wish mine would join me, but she has picked a different line of work, even though she used to be a photographer and a painter. Cheers!

• Really beautiful. What's your colour profile?

• @mrbill color profile was Nostalgic. +2,-1,+2,-2. Color shift was two clicks left towards A, one click down towards M.

• Thank you for all the valuable inputs @pchristoph

• @silvesterdivas I am happy to share with this community after what I have received in Vitaliy's firmware patches, and from guys like Driftwood, LPowell, CBrandin, and many others who's brains work on a whole different level to collaborate in achieving incredible results with these cameras.

• Pfft, amateurs. Now that’s how pros shoot weddings:

And if you have any money left over, you can also hire a professional wedding photographer: http://www.sadanduseless.com/2011/02/awfully-photoshopped-russian-wedding-pictures/

• @Mr_Moore wow, I don't even.....wow. I wont get those minutes back will I. : )

• Best wedding video EVER! (yours was ok as well pchristoph) :)