Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 5
  • 751 Replies sorted by
  • @spacewig

Underexposing while testing helps me te see better the structure of noise in dark areas. However its subjective.

• Ok, thanks.

• *** NEW **** GOP6 for testers to play with :-)

Tested on @Stray 's excellent coloured death chart.

Whilst playing around trying to help out with some settings for the GF2 community I thought I'd make them a basic 6 GOP patch which I'd assume would work but cannot test until my GF2 arrives from ebay. However, there's not much between the GH2 and GF2 settings apart from the lack of 1080p patches, and the stock 720p GOP is half of that of the GH2, and the encoder settings 1 to 4 reflect that.

GF2 Users: Anyway here is the GOP6 setting which on GF2 and GH2 will work when the IQ and Q are set to 26. Its not much of an improvement on the stock but it works. Please remember to switch off AQ mode on 1080 GF2 users.

GH2 Users: HOWEVER, the 1080p24 mode for GH2 users on this setting attached is VERY high quality (i frames always around the 1,170,000 bytes mark with a very stable looking GOP that conforms to the reference. On AQ 2 you will resolve a constant Q of around 10, on AQ1 this will remain pretty on the Quantise view of streameye on a constant 16. AQ 3 will probably work resolving around a Q of 7 but I cant be bothered to try it (tired)!

Under normal filming conditions the i frames/p frame/ b frames ratio stays pretty high and you can expect the bitrate to go up and down according to detail, see attached.

This will not crash on any high detail death charts unlike other patches out there.

All it needs now is someone to take these settings and fine tune them as Im too busy working on some new matrix stuff for Quantum X ver 2 and the AVCHD wiki... Anyway, test away!

Nick

Driftwood GOP 6 on AQ1 for 1080p24 modes only.png
    1291 x 682 - 162K
    Driftwood GOP 6 on AQ1 for 1080p24 modes filmed around a darkened room at 3200 ISO.png
    1287 x 672 - 91K
    Driftwood GOP6 - Top i frames - Very low Q AQ2 - seth.zip
    848B
    AQ1 on strays death chart - streameye predicted P- frames are huge - 16Q and around 40psnr with pictures size around 6600000.png
    1419 x 906 - 649K
    AQ1 dark room 3200iso on streameye constant Q is around 16 +2-2.png
    1424 x 918 - 130K
  • @driftwood

Please confirm if I'm getting this right -- this "Gop 6 for testers" with the "VERY high quality" 1080/24p is entirely unrelated to the Quantum X2 that is an evolution of 9b about which you spoke?

Thank you.

I'm filming on Thursday so I've been checking in every few hours. :-)

• @driftwood Nice work and thanks for your hard work, Nick! :-) Although I persist in 3GOP, 6GOP is also considered to be one solution about image quality and motion.

• @bkmcwd Hi mate, Can you take over GOP6? And make it good all round for other modes? Itd be nice to have the option.. and Im rather busy to improve it. Hope youre good.

• @driftwood OK mate. :-) Although time may be taken, I can do it. I already made 3GOP of HBR, however, frame size was too small and it could not be satisfied. Therefore, I was just going to think whether I will try 6GOP.

• @driftwood here are some shots taken with your Quantum X v1 patch in HBR mode:

no errors on a cheap 16 GB Transcend class10 card! One freeze

Mixed with stock HBR 25p the result is here:

Thanks for all your efforts! - Eddie Boschma

• Is a Quantum 100 v4 going to happen may I ask?

• More than likely. :-)

• Oh right, that's great, what improvements can we look forward to it? Will it be the final version?

Or, probably the main question, what is it you seek to do exactly from Quantum 100?

• Make it work properly.

• Well, what is the problem with it exactly? even after numerous revisions of 3 versions???

Also overall, quality wise is it faaar superior to GH2's stock bitrates and encodings?

• GOOD NIGHT TO ALL, I AM FROM BRAZIL AND JUST BUY GH2. MY BODY IS VERSION 1.0, HOW SHOULD I DO TO UPDATE THE CAMERA PTOOLS? HOW TO USE?

• @driftwood

Hi mate, The setting of 60i/6GOP is very difficult for me. :-(

Although the stable setting in my way of 24p was completed immediately, I cannot arrange 60i well...

I will do my best more.

6GOP_118m_ISO800_st_sp_1.JPG
    1297 x 633 - 224K
    6GOP_108m_30p_ISO800_st_sp.JPG
    1295 x 632 - 221K
  • @sergino go to beginner thread. read tutorials

• @serginho go to faq at top of site

• @driftwood - is 30p in hbr capable of getting somewhere near what youve done in cinema mode ? q9b is amazing from the testing ive done so far...couldnt ask for anything more, compression of HBR in quantum x is quite obvious though, thanks for everything youve done, love that youre pushing things to the limits(nevermind just seen orion came out, testing now!!! i feel cbr is the way to go to keep the grain of the sensor and artifacts more consistant)

• @ Silent users of my "settings" :-)

Now, I improved a few in order to stabilize "GOP3ZILLA" more. At the same time, I also added 3GOP of FSH, HBR, and 6GOP of SH. However, since 50i , 25p and 50p have not be tested in my GH2, it is regrettable to me that there is no telling whether to operate normally in them. Now testing.

Of course, this is the setting focused on image quality which referred to advice from Chris Brandin and Nick Driftwood, and was made.

Special thanks to @cbrandin and @driftwood!

NOTE:

I am VERY SORRY!! The first, second.... AND ALSO THIRD settings are not right. The 4TH is right.

*24L mode is for 24p80%(30p).

*In camera playback is available.

*EX Tele works in 24H and 24L.

*Spanning in 24H, 24L, maybe in FSH, HBR, and SH with SanDisk 95MB/s 64GB SDXC Card.

*My "natural"setting version is also coming soon!

@driftwood I am sorry for not having made 6GOP well yet. There was requests from friends, so I prepare 3GOP setting previously. Since the hint was found thanks to you, if 3GOP finishes, I will re-challenge 6GOP. PS: Congratulations on a wonderful improvement of Quantum!

bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_v1.11.zip
    648B
    bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_v1.11.zip
    651B
    This is correct one_bkmcwd GOP3ZILLA_v1.11.zip
    647B
    Revised edition GOP3ZILLA_v1.11.zip
    652B
  • @bkmcwd

I've got some decent GOP6 settings running for HBR/25p, that finally appears crash-proof.

Flowmotion was giving way too low bitrates (as with any other patch I tried HBR with), and is not actually stable, it crashes on death charts.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2416/icarus-patch-just-for-hbr-current-0.0.6-60mbps-25p-stable-gop6

Edit: Testing your setting above in 25p. Your patch doesn't pass the death chart on my card in 25p, so it wouldn't pass many outdoor scenes that have crashed on me on HBR when the same patch has managed death charts.

I've been able to run the 176m and 150m patches and Quantum patches in 24H no problem on the same card, so I am keen to see someone try the 64GB SDXC SanDisk on 25p HBR with your patch to see if it crashes for them (a problem with HBR) or stable (a problem with the camera thinking some cards that are more than fast enough is not fast enough in HBR mode somehow).

I'd like to have access to a NTSC GH2 to see if it's limited to 25p (edit: Another user said video out would let me choose NTSC... I thought this -didnt- affect HBR??? In any case, switching to NTSC makes your patch pass the death chart).

In the scene I use to do my initial tests of general rates for indoor usage, where HBR doesn't crash on higher settings, your patch looked pretty good and produces these rates:

edit: Given how my GOP5 was behaving before.. I do think I have an idea how to get 25p up there.

• @Athiril

Thanks for feedback! :-) I had not changed to the settings of PAL until now, so your result is consulted very much for me. Since it came to change now, I adjust so that a PAL version can also be used from now on.

• Cheers, I found out what was limiting HBR/25p mode so much.

• @Athiril .....Aaaaaaand? What was? Are you working on the Matrixes too?

• @Athiril I corrected the wrong input instantly. The second setting is right. Although I think that this can pass death chart, fine tuning may be necessity for 25p.

"limiting HBR/25p mode"

What is this? I do not know the situation of PAL at all.