Personal View site logo
PTool 3.60d topic
  • 259 Replies sorted by
  • Somebody posted a video on vimeo with the stalin hack test

• Is he sharing the settings yet? Looking forward to seeing if he can get it stable, but hopefully he will test in open on here.
  • hey guys this is a fantasic clip.. I can't find nothing worse, it's absolutely perfect for me.
  • @EOSHD

I think the key settings are mentioned in the Vimeo description, but I could be wrong. Haven't updated my GH2 yet to see myself.
  • Tried testing those but bitrate never goes above 24Mbit. He must have something we don't! :)
  • No encoder settings/GOP
    Bc w/ those, we could actually confirm if its true..
  • We should perhaps comment on his vimeo page so he might be a bit more precise.
  • something funny going on with the texture of the sea though if i'm not mistaken ? especially check 04:18- 04:23 is that "pulse" aliasing?
  • I noticed the pulsing too, it may be caused by VIMEO compression. No Original file available for download to test. The hair detail, fur on the dog and nets are near perfection. If I have this kind of quality at 30p I would be in heaven.
  • The pulsing looked like AF hunting to me. He was using Lumix lenses in AF mode.
  • I've started a Google Docs spreadsheet for testing results. Maybe something like this will help :
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEgzTkhsZGRqdWZZdk5raWFxbmtobXc6MQ
    The "see responses" pie-chart generated is not helpful, but the full spreadsheet is. There must be a way to share/publish the plain spreadsheet, maybe with separate sheets if Google Docs can allow form input.
    Please feel free to fill in the form with suggestions for other fields of what to put in. Right now, the spreadsheet itself is still in Alpha mode. You probably can't break it, but do be polite, clean and no buffer-overflows.
  • @danyyyel

Macro shots tell us nothing. The codec never breaks up for macro shots. It also doesn't help that he doesn't allow downloads. Plus he re-encoded it before he uploaded it. All benefit is lost once it is re-encoded. I checked his settings and those will not increase bit rate. I call Shenanigans on this one.
  • I've been trying to get any version of his settings to work by changing encoder settings. no luck yet either. Would be nice to get a solid 30-35mb out of the gh2
  • Here are the ideal settings for 720p. This file does not affect 1080i or 1080p.
    Best 720p Ever.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 345K
    setb.zip
    464B
    GH2 Ptool.xlsx
  • Very interesting. So just adding B-frames takes it to 24mb
  • @plasmasmp

Yes, that is correct. I am trying a GOP of 6 right now though. It looks like the lower the GOP the higher the average bit rate. Yet it will still show a max of 18 which is less than the average. :)
  • Hi Vitaliy_Kiselev News for GF2 camera?...

Thank you
  • @maxmizer
    No, and this is clearly wrong topic for such question.
    You can either use PM or make GF2 topic.
  • mpgxsvcd
    Does this 720p setting work with 50p PAL?
    Im guessing I would just use the correct gop in relation to what you used for 60p?
  • @ mpgxsvcd:

is the 720 setting you posted stable?
    And yes, good question Mimisan, does it work for PAL as well?
    I fly to the US on tuesday and if I change the standad settings, I need 100% stable PAL settings.
    Othewise I rather wait, until stable settings are found.

Thanks for your answer already.
  • @mimirsan yup, thats what I did, halve the original gop for 50p from 24 to 12.
    Achieved 28mbps 720p50 that way (like people before except 60p for them) :D
    Always remember to record 24H before 720p SH of course !
  • "Then I shot with high mpeg settings (quality 400, 300, 250, 188; table 4, 4, 4, 4), with another class10 card, and the data rate went up to 126 Mbit. 1 minute continuous shooting with this setting was no problem either."

@cinegraphy can you post some footage of that 126Mbit recording pls.
  • Thanks the crane ;-) ...but you have to record 24H before? Did I miss something?
  • @KrisCanonizado: I'll shoot some more footage today, the stuff I shot yesterday aesthetically wasn't very special, to say the least - and then again, in the 1 minute sequence bitrate was "only" 123 Mbit I think. Today I'm at a location with small waterfalls, I thought that'd be interesting for cranking up the bitrate, since there's a lot of fast movement (also for testing 50p AVCHD) :-)
  • Donated! Thanks, VK. Good luck to all you testers. I ordered a GH2 and can't wait to turn it into a GH2vk when the patches are ready!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions