Personal View site logo
"Hacking" my gear with Sugru
  • We all know the word "hack" is synonymous on this thread (with good cause) but I've also discovered something called Sugru (www.sugru.com) - a sort of moldable silicone that turns rock hard after 24 hours. Their tagline is "Hack Things Better". It's really fun stuff and I've used it to repair, modify or improve my gear.

(From L to R)

• The Trusmt cage - which I got through the generous deal through PP - was not tall enough to fit my GH2 setup so I stuck two spare rods on top of the existing ones to raise it up

• Here I use coins (best thing I can think of!) to create some anti-twist plates) for the Ownuser GH2 battery grip

• Stuck a Sony battery adapter onto the back of my monitor

• Made the grip on my broadcast zoom lens a little more ergonomical for me

• Replaced a lost screw & knob for my matte box

• Added an extra cold shoe mount on the Modula 3 rig. Edelkrone sells cold shoe adapters at a ridiculous US$60 each!

• Molded more grip on my tiny NEX-5N (ran out of black)

Got a few packs left so still thinking of ways to hack!

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Very Interesting. How hard is "rock hard"? For example, could you make a lever to torque a screw?

• Cool idea thanks for sharing them. How about making up some SNL Mr Bill scenes ;).

• I don't doubt the functionality here, but man, the GH2 is already a homely little bitch, do we really have to put that putty on it?

• @spacewig I would dare say yes. I don't have a lever for mine, but a knob. It turns great and tightens the screw

@brianluce You referring to the anti-twist plates? I actually just used the Sugru on the grip, no putty is on the GH2 itself!