Personal View site logo
GH2 Possible Improvements
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • In my opinion the menus and how to activate some features should be revised. In fact, all the logic of operation of the camera leaves much to be desired.

For example, the "menu / set" sometimes functions as a "yes" and an "advance" on the menu, while other times it makes you exit the menu.

Another thing that seems illogical (or at least I still have not found a way to do work differently) is that some options that work as "on / off", pressing the button that corresponds to the function, rather than the button function as "on / off" gives you access to a menu from which to choose.

For example, if you assign an extra TV mode button, pressing this button instead to enable or disable the extra TV, he opens a menu from which to choose. So what could be done in a movement must do in 2 or 3 moves.

I also think the menus are all mixed up and does not provide all the necessary information.

For example, anyone who does not know the camera does not have a clue what it means iA, or how the IR works, and it's hard to know what is being done when the film quality option is "sh", "h" instead of directly (or side of the screen) show the mps of each option.

In addition to what we see While the letter may be a little big, maybe a font size option would be nice.

Finally, a feature that even I could not find (and not wonder) is that a button can be configured to automatically focus the camera when squeezed, while working with manual focus.
  • 1. Would be there lock and unlock apperture during recording clip also?
    Is it important if you panning in scene where is more light sources.
    For example as windows, spots.
    In outdoor for instance sky, sunshine, car reflectors ...

2. hdmi output 4:2:2

3. manual continual setting apperture during recording clip. (Not with steps)

4. 25p and 50i mode with 23.8 Mbps

5. Peaking
  • I read through the GH2 improvements list and somewhat confused by "aspect ratio" entry in "AVCHD/Sensor" sub-list. Does it refer to the onscreen crop marks or to actually cropping the footage as it is recorded?
    Thanks.
  • found a workaround for a B&W viewfinder mode, easy to set up really. Just set up two manual custom modes with the same settings except one has film mode in a black and white setting of your choosing. Then you can easily change between the two settings to switch viewfinder from colour to black and white and back again.

It would be nice if there was a way of getting more than 3 custom modes as there are lots of ways you can set this camera up for different situations. But I expect this is impossible?

It seems you can define an Fn button for the film mode menu but not a specific setting which would be nice.....
  • can we add 1/48 shutter or is this impossible?
  • Is there any chance to make usb composite live out active during recording?
    Since it normally work until recording start I believe it's just a software limitation?
    Please Vitally make this to work, I need live out from GH2 on my helicopter :)
  • 1/48 shutter would be sweet.
  • I noticed, 3 lenses I have all offer stepless aperture in photo shutter priority mode, so filming with mode wheel set to "S" - but it doesn't work in film mode (with mode set to "S" in the menu)...
    I find it strange this is disabled, and it's annoying because you're limited to 17Mbit if you want auto-iris - but I think it might not be too difficult to change this in the Ptool - since principally filming with stepless Aperture works.
    Of course the alternative would be, to enable higher bitrates in non-movie mode settings... But the 1st variant would be better in my opinion, because this way you can also use the Telecrop function with stepless aperture.
    I hope, this wasn't posted yet by others, but I think not :-)
    Cheers, CG
  • Hi,
    @Vitally, please like Gizmo I would like enabling USB Out Composite during record. Is it possible ?

• i don't know if this has been mentioned but 100 or 120 fps in 720p would be sweet too ;)
  • dts: "can we add 1/48 shutter?"
    KrisCanonizado: "1/48 shutter would be sweet."

The GH2 shutter already has a 1/50 second setting. If you can tell the difference between this and 1/48, you may want to consider decaf.
  • Vittaly, please can you write a clear answer : Is it possible to activate A/V Composite during record ?
    Thank you very much.
  • >Vittaly, please can you write a clear answer : Is it possible to activate A/V Composite during record ?

I don't know. Most probably not.
    Any reason why you need this? HDMI works, so buy HDMI monitor.
  • I need it because the video sender on my RC helicopter have only COMPOSITE IN (like all video sender on RC helicopter they work only one in composite).
  • @flash
    How about small camera that will be shooting GH2 LCD screen?
    Chinese are selling bunch of them with RCA out and wires to power it.
  • It is of the weight in more and that consumes some electricity.
  • If you could have a look it would be very cool
  • If you hold Trashcan button during few seconds you can activate the back video and see on a Tv (or monitor) what you are targeting with GH2 but if you hold Record button the back video disappear :(
  • @flash - what about GoPro Hero HD? Not quite GH2 picture quality, but I believe it does have composite out - and cheaper if something goes wrong. Skeleton case should allow wire connections (including 5v mini USB power if flight is longer than couple of hours).

Just an idea.
  • Yes Gopro is bad quality ;) And the wireless HDMI transmitters have big latency...
    Thank you very much Vittaly for answers :-)
  • Hi Vitaly,

I also need composite video out while recording video badly. There is a huge aerial photo scene which is waitng for that. We could use a HDMI-composite converter but it DOES NOT WORK, HDMI signal changes, while video recording starts, and is not convertible by the HDMI converter (fro what reason, I do not know). When you do not record the HDMI signal can be converted.
    But of cours everyone wants a picture while recording, best would be composite anyway.

Regards
    copter
  • do you think 4:4:4 mjpeg would be possible?
  • Actually my #1 improvement to make this camera more usable would be to change the ISO while recording in small (like 100) increments.
    Otherwise the codec is very good and with an external monitor with peaking, 1-to-1 focus, waveform monitor, etc. your pretty well setup. However for documentary stuff with multiple GH2's having to stop and start to change the ISO is terrible.
  • I'm very interested to see what the sensor mode is for HDMI :)

There is a colour space shift which causes gamma to change in that mode, and of course it is interlaced which is bad for the Ninja. If we can change HDMI sensor mode, it would really help. The gamma change alone is very distracting when gong from live view to record, and it is live view where the exposure is done.