Personal View site logo
Some words on Kurosawa
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • A really good film on it's own, and a different view on both Kurosawa and one of his masterpieces: RAN - be sure to watch Chris Marker's film AK, if you haven't already..

• Thanks for posting this, will check out AK as well! I was recently reading Kurosawa's autobiography on a flight, and an older gentleman recommended AK to me as well. It was probably the first time I had a long conversation on a flight with a stranger, that was actually pleasant.

• And while you are at it, see Chris Marker's "Sans Soleil" too.

• My favorite Kurosawa so far is Rashōmon, makes you always think twice before trusting a story ...

• I think Ikiru is the most beautiful Kurosawa movie... so powerful! A true cinema legend. Hollywood remade allmost ALL of his movie. Most famous remakes are from Spielberg en Lucas (Star Wars is a Yojimbo remake).

• My personal favorites are Yojimbo, Rashomon, and Throne of Blood for sure! Out of all of them I think I've watched Throne of Blood the most.

A few years ago the Film Forum in NYC had a retrospective...was amazing to see nice prints of these films.

• @sohus,

I think Star Wars is much more of a Hidden Fortress remake than a Yojimbo remake.

A Fistful of Dollars with Clint Eastwood and Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis are remakes of Yojimbo.