Personal View site logo
Official GH2 "Stalin" hack development topic
  • 939 Replies sorted by
  • So you think stable 25p at a decent bitrate will be possible? Im contemplating buying a GH2 but am cursing panny for leaving it out.
    Its all in the balance ;-)
  • +1. GH2 price will go up.

It was easy choice for me as I live in 24p country. I'm hoping for high reliability from 24p hack. 25p... who knows.

You could wait two more years for GH3 hack.
  • >I'm hoping for high reliability from 24p hack.

Not from initial release.
    It'll require big work, mostly from testers.
    I already said that Panasonic changed encoder behaviour.
  • Hmmm. One more year for reliable patches...

That means... reliable GH3 hack, if it happens, would be ready in 2014 if we are lucky. Haha...

I can hear Ka-ching on GH1 and GH2 resale values.
  • >Hmmm. One more year for reliable patches...

Don't speculate please :-)
  • Yeah guys please stay positive, and don't push too hard. V. did an amazing job on the GH1s. There is a massive amount of work that goes into these hacks, not forgetting all the time answering everyone, doing web pages, maintaining the site etc. And as V. says, a lot of people will have to help test tricky patches like bitrates & fps.

Patience, V. will V. will rock you!
  • PTool will also include some funny patches.
    Like ones that allow to tune mike volume inducator :-)
  • Thanks for your hard work Vitaliy!

Currently the GH2 uses 24mbps bit rate for 1920x1080 24P AVCHD.

Will it be possible to increase the GH2 bit rate, even a small amount (for example 30mbps)?

Also, I've seen some SD cards do not support fast enough continuous data write speed.
    I've used Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/s SDHC cards without any issue on my EX1. Maybe these
    cards will work better, or have you determined the SD data write is not an issue?
    I ask since I saw it was an issue with my EX1 with different SD cards.

• You know... PTools is only half the story. Tuning parameters is the other half, but LPowell doesn't have GH2 yet.
  • >Tuning parameters is the other half, but LPowell doesn't have GH2 yet.

Correct.
    As for LPowell, you must remember that very stable settings existed well before his patches.
    Most valuable additions had been made by Chris really.
  • Hi is the PTools avaialbe to download now? What stable options will be available in the first release?
  • Read the last few posts.
  • I feel a little like a kid before Christmas ;-)
  • That's right. GH trio: Vitaliy, Chris, LPowell

It's almost magical that we have GH13. Thank you all!!!
  • >Remember, if you need GH2 or extra GH2 it is good time to buy them.

Hi Vitaliy, just to clarify - this isn't the English PAL unit? And with your Ptool- does it even matter? (assuming that your firmware supersedes the old one in Language as well...) And in regard to NTSC? That Hardware or Firmware. Sorry for the Noob question.

Cheers.
  • >And in regard to NTSC? That Hardware or Firmware.

It is firmware, of course.
  • Hi is it better to buy japanese ntsc or Europe pal. Plan to use for short films and independent docs. Thanks
  • >Hi is it better to buy japanese ntsc or Europe pal.

It does not matter.
    PAL-NTSC patch to switch from menu (like on GH1) is tested and working.
  • Hi Vitaly, I'm really waiting for the patch to remove the video recording time limitation in European models. Is this something that is already working? Is this something that I can already test?

Thanks
  • > Is this something that is already working?

Yes.
  • Oh, nice! Is it possible for me to use it/test it?
  • >Oh, nice! Is it possible for me to use it/test it?

No. Wait fro PTool release.
  • I suggest that there be a locked board where Vitaliy can post his victories without us getting in the way. Suggested name:

Stalin Functionality Log (SinFuL)

Any ideas? Anyone second? (don't just want to create yet another topic) Or at least a place for Log ONLY (a condensed version of this board)...
  • @alcomposer
    No locked board is planned. We don't need all this.
  • GREAT to hear Recording Limit Removal and PAL/NTSC switch are working.
    Maybe thats just me, but I'd love to see a first stable patch that just contains those two vital improvements instead of an instable one that contains more features.
    Is that going to happen?

Speaking of VITAL: Since I've been reading here since months, its about time for me to join the thank-you-Vitaly-parade for his invaluable work!