Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • @rbna Have a look at this: http://newsletters.creativecow.net/

If it's Avid or Premiere is up to you. I'll never go back to Avid, since they screwed me badly after years of promoting and teaching their system. But that's just me, they seem to be a more humble company by now.

I switched to FCP and was a loyal follower for years. Then they screwed me. So, time for a change again.

When Premiere was at version 5, I thought "what a silly joke from a company that brought us Photoshop". It's not a joke any more, they became serious about editing.

We have a pretty large arts university lab here and are switching to Premiere because of: similarity of handling to FCP, integration with AEFX, native support of H.264 and REDcode and educational pricing. But you need heavy machines to really enjoy it.

Remember, Apple is a phone company now. They won't fix FCP.

• @driftwood This is a very interesting arrangement! Although former homework has not been finished yet, I can study moreover. Thanks mate! :-)

• @Zaven13 No, its manual Q.

• @driftwood There is no mention of AQ value in the Quantum v8 patch. Is that mean that it reverts back to the stock value which is AQ=0 (all to motion)?

• *** NEW **** Quantum v8 BETA - The Q Theory/Rate Control. An experimental beta.

A new theory for trying out different Q on the range of REC MODES. Limits will look strange as Q has been analysed, bitrate settings may look strange to you (but they will record considerably lower than bitrates entered), and frame limits have been adjusted according to Q. The whole theory here is about rate control in h.264 AVC codec and seeing where bitrate is allocated to the amount of detail. Its still early days on this, so I expect failures. Take a look and report to me. I need real world tryouts - not neccesarily static death charts (you can take the 1080p frame limit back down to around 6080808 if you want death charts recorded) - and before you ask, YES, I expect streamparser graphs to now move up and down on all settings and adjust bitrate according to the details in the picture. Let me know how you get on. This is NO replacement for other versions of Quantum, just a new theory to test. 50p/50i will be addressed in beta v9 over the next day or so. Thank you.

Nick

Quantum v8 BETA - The Q theory - sete.zip
    956B
  • Even if AVCHD its not a great format for editing, if you aren´t doing any major grading you just don´t need to transcode...it saves you valuable time and disk space...

• @rbna yes, I would also add the advantage of going from premiere to after effects and vice-versa, always using your mts files until export. In premiere you can edit in real time (helps if you have a certified GPU) no render needed

• @onionbrain So do you just use the MTS files through your entire workflow, not transcoding at all before editing / compositing / color correcting etc? Or do you Clipwrap or such into ProRes?

• @sohus Count me in as another Premiere fanatic. Didn't use it till FCP fiasco and CS5.5 has been an absolute dream. It looks and feels like what FCP8 could have been.

• @sohus I guess you're still living in 2004. Remember to sell your stocks when you approach 2006.

@rbna Premiere imports and exports both Final Cut Pro and Avid projects.

With a powerful system and right ("certified") video card -- Premiere has been a dream since version 5, not even the newest Avid Media Composer competes. Here in the US it's somewhere in every studio, and I understand the BBC implemented Premiere Pro on a large scale last year.

You can import almost anything, stick almost anything on any timeline, and color correct anything you import in a 12 bit 4:4:4 color space. Stability is exceptional. On my system (that doesn't suck) I'm encoding out at real time -- or much faster for low end stuff.

Relative to the "hacked" GH2 -- the workflow goes like this: 1) import 2) edit 3) export.

• Absolutely right. It did suck big time, since its inception. And fcp was so much better for so long. And everyone did also suddenly change their mind when fcpx came out. CS5.5 became 'hip.'

But since CS5, it really has been fantastic. What happened w/ fcpx was this: NLEs are difficult to master, and always are very unappealing when first used because of the lack of familiarity. It wasn't until fcpx went so wrong that people had any incentive to get past that initial discomfort. By that time, Premiere had become really great, in many ways that weren't even on Apple's map. I was a pre-fcpx switch over, because I needed more.

Relax. You are happy with Avid, and have every right to be. It is a great software renowned for its rock solid stability - I can say it never crashed while I used it. What I do want to share is that, after I became familiar w/ Premiere and how to use it best (like we had all become with fcp, knowing every little workaround for its quirks), I have to say that I love it.

• @Sage Premiere Pro sucks big time. It always did. I don't get the marketing hype. In terms of usability, it is one of the crappiest programs adobe has created. Bad icons, lots of wasted space everywhere, half of the programs functions can't be assigned to keyboard shortcuts, many keyboard shortcuts don't do what you expect them to do, when importing footage, you cannot see clips, you can't import & copy clips to a set location, there is no OpenCL acceleration on modern day iMac's en MacBooks, DynamicLink fails half of the time... I don't see what's good. Everyone hated Premiere until FCPX and now suddenly it is great... I don't get it. People used to laugh at you when you used Premiere and now it is amazing and nobody complains anymore. Very strange.

I like Avid 6 much better... to me that is FCP 8 64-bit. FCPX is nice but has a long way to go.

• Another Sample of Driftwood´s Quantum 7. Thanks to all, starting with VK, who have turn GHx owners really proud! This is a great comunity!

• @Sage Yes, functionally... but how many people are on Premiere? Everybody, at least many, used to be on FCP, which made file transfer / working at different places easy. Now all is quite different...

• Premiere CS5.5 is the new FCP, fwiw. It even has the FCP keyboard shortcut set built in. Avid is quite different.

• @JDN Thanks for the advice! I just investigated further, and noticed that in fact the last frame - or maybe last two - of the clip (prores encoded through Clipwrap) does NOT show up at all in FCP, but it DOES in Quicktime... So it seems really, that FCP is the culprit. But then you say, that you had never any problems going Clipwrap->ProRes->FCP? Hm...

If I use the "rewrap" function in Clipwrap, FCP crashes trying to play the such created files.

In Avid, do you then just cut the MTS files - or do you still transcode?

Sorry for all the questions, just starting a long-term doc project, and trying to get it right from the start... I've used FCP since they brought it out, but maybe it IS time to switch to Avid...? (With the $1000 FCP crossgrade discount...)

• @rbna, did you import the clipwrap generated mts into FCP7 as well? That is our preferred workflow at the production company I'm at now. That said, we're always recording separate sound (DR-40 via a Mix PreD) so we have a clean audio track and can paper over any audio gaps (though I'm not aware of any so far).

As for premiere, sorry, can't help. This is actually my first time using FCP in about five years. Since then I've been on AVID, mainly at large procos where simultaneous access to media and crash-free hour long sequences are needed. Out of the price range of most individuals though, I know -- except if you're a student, in which case you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the educational price and four years of free upgrades. But if you're working primarily for web, I can see why the others would be just as good if not better.

• @nomad Really - is it time to switch? Some people are still waiting for Apple to get their s*** together... others go back to Avid. I'm just not sure what to do right now. If FCP7 can't handle the GH2 workflow, I'll have to go somewhere...

• @JDN @onionbrain Interesting - imported the MTS files directly into Premiere, and alas, it was fine. BUT: I also imported the Clipwrap generated ProRes (normal) file into Premiere, and while it did seem to get the video correctly, there was a tiny break in the audio. (I'm using the Sandisk 45Mb/s, with the I next to SDHC). So you guys cut on ProRes (and haven't had the audio break issue)?

@JDN Do you also work on Premiere, or does your GH2/Clipwrap/ProRes/FCP workflow work?

• @rbna It's FCP fu…ng it up, I observe the same and have no problems in Premiere Pro. Time to switch!

• A la Dvx:

"Just to clarify: this patch does not have a 1080i option. By boosting 720, 1080i is made unstable because it is entwined. It is only for 720p 60 SH, and 720p 50 H (60 H will do for spanning). For the extreme, its an unstable 720p 60 SH, and a stable 720p 60 H."

• @Hallvalla Thanks! Perfect. I will usually throw a temper tantrum if someone tries to make me shoot 60i anyway (or at least talk them out of it) so this setting sounds perfect!

• Agreed, 60i = no good with Sage's hack.

Gonna go back to Q7 in the future for 1080i shoots and have Sage's on stand-by for narrative work.

• @JDN Sage has combined Q7 with his own 720p setting and seems to love it. Downside is it makes 60i unusable.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?271840-GH2-X-v3-quot-THIRTY-quot-(Quantum-7-P-frame-720p-Patch-for-30MB-s)

• @ignatius I suspect your noise problems on ETC mode relate to the ISO. If I can, I steer clear of anything above 640 unless I'm going for noise -- ETC with quantum on 160 and 320 looks great. Also, this may no longer be an issue but I recall early tests with the gh2 saying that the "top line" of ISO's (160 onward to the right) produce better results and for whatever reason the 200 multiples of ISO below it (eg 800) produce a lot more noise. Can't recall how scientific those observations were, but just a thought...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions