Personal View site logo
How to improve low light image quality from iso 12800 and 6400
  • Learn how to match C300 and FS100 low light image quality with the GH2 (on vimeo), you can download the neatvideo profiles and presets in this thread post number 10, these saved profiles and presets are updated with a new fine tweaking to get a much better results, also if you want more information go to vimeo and read the video description.

• 62 Replies sorted by
  • Impressive. Very instructional and easy to follow instructions. The guy in the video is hilarious by the way.

• Damn nice video, thx for sharing this one

• thanks for sharing that

• The company that makes Neat Video also makes a product called Neat Image that comes with a calibration target. I've had good results with the method described above by using the calibration target and manually building my noise profile using samples from several different squares. According to the Neat Video forums, the target gives you a much more complete noise profile than other sampling methods. Here's a copy in JPEG format if anyone would like to use it.

Neat Video Calibration Target.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 108K
  • Nice done! Some questions: Why do you enable adaptive filtration? Afaik this is only ment to turned on if the noise levels change during a shot? Have you tried to sharpen luma only? From my experience this looks cleaner than sharpening chroma as well.

• I used adaptive filtration because when exposure changes the noise changes and because i apply the filter to a video with many cuts, various different images edited togheter, so there was some differences in noise pattern from one image to other. I did some tests in sharpen and i did not find noticeable differences in apply sharpen just to luma only, but maybe it can be better. the main slider to tweak is the Y slider, i found it is better when set to 30 instead of 50 or 40, taking into acount the other settings are the same as of in the tutorial, because the image gets less plastic look.

• Would like to see a couple of presets for the GH2 from those you have experience with Neat Video, then we can load them and try them out.

• Here are a couple I've done for my cameras at ISO 1250. The one for Christina's camera is probably more accurate. We have two GH2s, and I'm planning on building profiles for each camera at every ISO. If somebody wants to test the Christina profile on their footage and is happy with the results, I may just post profiles for each ISO here for everyone to use.

Christina GH2 iso1250.zip
    Derik GH2 iso1250.zip
  • I am considering disable adaptative filtration and disable chroma sharpening. maybe it can give better results, but need to try.

• Here we go. The neatvideo noise profiles (noise pattern) for all isos and four preset settings for noise reduction for GH2.

Now the new ZIP file with noise profiles (noise pattern) for all isos including ETC (extended tele conversion) mode all isos and new improvements in the presets to get a less plastic/digital look.

Now with new presets very fine tunning settings with great noise reduction results.

gh2_neatvideo_presets.zip
    gh2_neatvideo_presets_improved+etc.zip
    1M
    improved_profiles.zip
  • Outstanding thread. Question how much better does the new version of Neat Video work compared to the previous one?

• Thx apefos,

• I do not know if new neatvideo is better than the old. i think it is just faster. I think the presets I saved can be load to all neatvideo versions.

• Outstanding! Your work is really helpful - thanks so much :)

• @apefos it works in vegas pro 10 with neat 2.6 and in neat 3.0 for virtualdub

• thats great news, so everybody can download and use the presets I saved!

• Guy's I just shot this video with Quantum v7 all I can say is WOW!!! I was surprise with the quality. Don't mind the language spoken it's creole, it was shot for Haiti's Earthquake second year anniversary. Here is the crazy thing even @ 480p under youtube's compression it looks like it's 720p Quality I'm amazed. Uploaded it to vimeo but it's not allowing me to view it as HD yet.

Setup: Hack: Driftwood Quantum v7 Profile: Cinema (-2-2-2-2) W.B: Custom Temp 5200k - 5600k Custom Color Balance (Will Post Pictures) Iso: 160 - 400 Lens: Pani 20mm f1.7 / Nikon 50mm f1.8 Lighthing: Halogen / Fluorescent

• Wouldn't the amount of noise in either of the R, G or B channels also change based on your white balance settings? For example, if you were shooting with the camera at 3200K under tungsten light, wouldn't the blue channel have more noise than if you were shooting with the camera set at 5600K under daylight?

This might mean making a set of profiles at 5600K and one at 3200K at all the different ISOs.

Thoughts?

• I think you do not need to worry about differences in the chroma noise because chroma noise is very easy to clean in neatvideo. when chroma noise is high you just need to increase the chroma sliders to clean it. in my experience i found the noise pattern must be accurate to the luminance Y noise.

• 1200 to ISO 3200

iso 640

the details are richs!

• @apefos it's nice thread and technic! BTW, thanks for informing me that on PM of vimeo.

• Thanks for the presets. For those who are wondering about the difference between V2 and the newer V3 of Neat Video, I would summarize as follows: 1. Make sure you have the "pro" version of either 2. The V3 version is way faster if you have an Intel i7 and/or cuda card. V3 will also run a utility to set preferences for how many CPU cores/GPU cores are used. I would estimate it runs twice as fast on good hardware. The glacial speed of V1 and V2 was the biggest drawback, along with the crashes. The website claims 4x faster with i7 and cuda, I didn't see this, but I was happy with the speed increase. 3. The "auto" sampling setting is slightly better. 4. Slight improvement in quality of noise removal 5. It crashes, but somewhat less than V2. It is less susceptible to multiple effects on the same clip..

• @apefos, thanks again and I'm testing it on my Premiere Pro CS5 and neat video. BTW, what can I do if I tweak the curve and lighten a footage, for example from iso160? which .dnp profile should I use?

• I would always apply noise reduction in the first step on the raw footage, then apply levels & curves & looks. If you later realize that you need more or less reduction/sharpening in a certain way you can still go back and tweak neat video. This way you can just load one .dnp into neat video (as long as your iso stayed the same) on first clip and then copypaste the effect onto the other clips. If you do any adjustments before you apply neat video you would need to build a new noise profile each time.

And don´t limit yourself to just loading .dnp files, get used to the controls inside neat video so you adjust to the needs of the footage (And don´t overdo... nobody is paying for the 3 % less noise.. ;)

• @Meierhans, thanks for giving me the advice. OK, I'll try that neat-vid-first technique. Indeed it seems to be reasonable. but, still I have a question. does the order of effect on Premiere change the result of video look, more over, quality?

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters