Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood, prepping for a twixtor wave-tank shoot. Trying to figure out if Quantum 5 or Quantum 7 is my best bet for 720p60. Any thoughts? (Figured I'd post instead of PMing in case answer is useful for anyone else).

• @rbna, I second @onionbrain comments. Is it the card you are using the 30Mbps one with with the little "I" beside the SDHC logo (that's the right one)? Often when things go wrong with spanning, the culprit is card, not camera.

Everything I've shot (dozens of hours) with aquamotion has been perfect -- Clipwrap transcoding to DNxHD actually recognizes them as the same file and automatically merges them into one DNxHD. If you plan on doing a lot of work in FCP with the GH2 just invest the 50 bucks in clipwrap -- we've had a lot of annoyances with log and transfer and gh2 files, but no problems since transcoding to Prores HQ with clipwrap before ingesting.

Certainly keep us updated if the problem persists. But for me, no problems so far.

• @onionbrain That's interesting, thanks for the reply. I don't think it's a FCP issue, as the frames (and audio) are also very obviously missing when opening the files in QuickTime. Could it be that shooting a TV screen is just much more information to compute (with the permanent full frame flicker) than a "regular" scene, and the processing lags a bit / can't handle the load?

• @rbna

I've now shot dozens of hours with Aquamotion V2 with Sandisk Extreme 30Mbps cards -- and at 24p it's spanned flawlessly straight up to card capacity. Premiere Pro even recognizes the clips as one long recording.

My reaction is that your problem is either a workflow issue, or a Final Cut issue.

The only issue I've had with Aquamotion V2 is that the 24H comes in around 89 Mbps, and the 24L comes in around 87Mbps. The 24H is not coming close to 100 Mbps -- and I'm wondering if I've got a problem somewhere.

• Good to see you both using cinema profile. Under controlled lighting the linear response through the mid levels really make skin tones look great.

BTW, the fucking Poinsettia looks freaking great!

• I did a test with Driftwood's Aquamotion ver2, Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB, 20mm pancake, filming the TV playing Borat. The GH2 did start a new file every 4.29GB, as expected. BUT - I cut the files together in FCP, and noticed that (a) a couple of frames are missing between the two files, and (b) the audio on the second file, i.e. the beginning of each clip, comes in late. Hence, there is no continuous video between the files.

Have any of you had such problems? Is this to be expected with any spanning files, or only high bitrate spans? I.e. would this problem be less pronounced with less intense scenes (e.g. interviews)?

Thanks!

• Just a simple motion test of Driftwood's Quantum v7 Hack.

Panasonic GH2 Quantum 7 ISO 320 Cinema -2 -2 0 -2 Rokinon 35mm f1.4 @ f2.0

• @driftwood @FGCU Guy's I just shot this video with Quantum v7 all I can say is WOW!!! I was surprise with the quality. Don't mind the language spoken it's creole, it was shot for Haiti's Earthquake second year anniversary. Here is the crazy thing even @ 480p under youtube's compression it looks like it's 720p Quality I'm amazed. Uploaded it to vimeo but it's not allowing me to view it as HD yet.

Setup: Hack: Driftwood Quantum v7 Profile: Cinema (-2-2-2-2) W.B: Custom Temp 5200k - 5600k Custom Color Balance (Will Post Pictures) Iso: 160 - 400 Lens: Pani 20mm f1.7 / Nikon 50mm f1.8 Lighthing: Halogen / Fluorescent

• Shot using Quantum 7 beta, 24H dynamic black n' white (+1,-2,-1) Lens: Voigtlander 25mm, ISO 800-1250? (no greater or less); ex tele mode

Post processing: MB denoiser applied (40%), colour finesse adjustments and MB looks adjustments + some sharpening. I found I had to crush the blacks a bit because of compression artifacts I was getting when exporting for youtube. To be honest I needed to experiment more here, but my render time for the 2min 8second master was 3h 48mins. Denoiser and sharpening is a killer, but I'm also working on a dual core with 4GB DDR2 RAM and that certainly doesn't help. It's a painful process and I need to upgrade soon. Some monochrome 'film' grain added.

It's been so long since I had the unhacked firmware on my camera, I can't attest to the level of noise at high ISOs ex tele mode produces with stock firmware, but with the hack it's pretty noisy. Having said that, I'm very happy with the results.

I'm a novice so feel free to offer constructive criticism. If the actor was actually smoking rather than faking it with a tooth pick, that could have been more interesting. Perhaps the smoke would have crumbled though under my post processing er...technique.

Many thanks Driftwood, every time you post on the low GOP topic I look forward to seeing if you've managed to squeeze more out of the GH2. It's become a highlight of my day, but then I'm working Panto 6 days a week at the moment!

Great community, great forum.

• I did some quantum 7 tests with 64bg 95sec sandisk. Results in that topic.

• @kholi Thanks for confirming man! Does it also give you in camera playback with sound and no hiccups?

• @qwerty123

Yes, definitely spans on 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s Cards. Did receive my pair of 64gigs today and both worked with 1080 and 720/60

@driftwood @Zaven13

I'm using Sage's patch, which means I need to just repatch to Quantum 7 for tomorrow's shoot so that I can get the 70M 29.97.

Thanks much.

• @kholi (and anyone else)... I did a quick look through this thread and another--maybe I'm missing something, but has anyone actually confirmed that the sandisk 64gb spans on quantum 7? what about in camera playback with sound? For now, I've temporarily reverted back to spanmybitchup.. which still is quite good quality but spans and playsback everything nicely... (i need sleep!) ha.

• @kholi Try Ralph_B's Sanity 3.1 patch for 1080i and 720p60 at FSH/SH 44mb/s and FH/H 32mb/s. I am using it and it looks great.

• Think it was around the 70M mark on some of the tests I was resolving.

• Hmmm. What's the bitrate on the 1080i Quantum V7? I'm getting 25mb/s. That correct?

Might have to go MJPEG 1080/30 if I want something that looks decent?

• Quantum v7 1080i is probs as high as youre going to get 1080i at the moment, you wont get anywhere near 24H kind of level. We keep trying to find new ways of 'spreading the load' but the cpu is probably going to max out on anything better...

• Is there anyone that can help combine QV7's AVCHD Mode settings with 1080i Settings that are equal to or close enough? Just realized I need a 1080/60i patch for interview/29.97 shooting.

Have the right cards to span

• I just put down 20 a few days ago.

• @disneytoy -- if you want to span on the latest quantum settings I believe you need the 64 gig not 32 gig cards.

Will be trying out the latest quantum on a shoot today. Shot over 100 gigs of stuff on aquamotion of several large and remote mayan ruin sights -- love how it looks, especially how the gh2 handles the jungle's greens. Free time permitting will put it up soon.

Has everyone made a new year donation to Vitaliy? Even $5 each from everyone reading this thread will go a long way.

• @rozroz you are right/ corrected.

• @driftwood, i'm not sure Sandisk put out a 128G 95MB/s card. i think it's 'only' 45MB/s. am i wrong?

• @Raysito22

Thanks. I went ahead and got two 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro Cards instead of chancing the 32Gbs. Not worth the headache of testing them out. Haha.

I need to be able to roll longer than 4 minutes, I shoot Comedy narrative a lot and having to cut for performance is a no no for me. Also, interviews, etc.

Finally bought a personal GH2 as well, loaded up on accessories. PL mount time. etc.

• @Raysito22 In the traditional sense, like any hard drive/SSD drives/chips, the closer (smaller) you can put reduce the size of the memory cell's the more data can be held/and effective speed writes&reads will increase. Sandisk have just doubled to 128Gb/45mb/s UHS-I SDXC card which suggests more is being squeezed out of the technology - and it looks like they'll probably go further...

• I'm getting a 32G SD card. So what is currently the most compatible with V7? I go to check out the San Disks and get confused with those Extreme, Pro, Video Pro?

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions