Personal View site logo
JVC Unveils Handheld 4K Camcorder
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • Basic question ... what are you going to watch this on? Does anyone know what the current state of 4K monitors is? There are no 4K computer monitors that I know of. 30 inch monitors top out at 2560 x 1600, well short of 4K.

• unless they came up with a miracle from last I saw it, it will have very few professional adopters who care about the image-quality actually contained in those 4K miages.

that said, I am happy JVC came to market with it and hopefully this allows other manufacturers to start selling 4K camcorders with S35 chips sooner than later

JVC last said it would cost 5K more to create an interchangeable S35 version, so there's your next possible iteration of this tech at $10K

• Very interesting. I suppose they just went after the broadcast market since that's more of their thing already. They teased about this camera earlier last year. It makes me wonder if Canon will really release their 4K DSLR and how they'll manage the processing in camera. I'm assuming they'll use the newest CF technology rather than the SDHC route.

• Very cool. The ability to resize in post would allow very clean greenscreen and stabilization. Slightly more expensive than buying four GH2's and mounting them on a rig of some sort...and can it do HDR in 3D?

@balazer With the 4 x quadrant idea, a very similar technique was used in the first broadcast HD cameras (not camcorders, obviously!) - using 4 x digital tape machines to record HD images.

• http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL102132

Interesting: it divides the image into four quadrants, and records each one to one of four SDHC card simultaneously. Then you use software to combine the four streams into one editable 4k stream.

Of course we GH2 owners already have recording around 144 Mbps with a single SDHC card. ;)

• Right on! Let the 4K rampage floodgates begin. D4/C300 is already behind. ;)

• Very true and Priced at $4,995 retail. Not Bad!

• 1/2" is not really disadvantage. As small chip cameras are very handy for news, and similar stuff requiring big DOF.