Personal View site logo
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • So I'm just barely scratching the surface of what is possible but this is equally as powerful (in my mind and hands) if not more so than many other programs I've used. I initially was grading this short in Color Finesse which was a little clunky for my taste. Moved to DaVinci Resolve which, on my 2009 17" MacBook Pro was fairly sluggish, and then finally settled on Speedgrade. Speedgrade was great but I was disappointed that, to do what I wanted, I would have to lose a generation of quality by exporting from Speedgrade and back to After Effects for final titles, noise reduction, etc. Nothing was used on this clip except for ColorGHears and Neat Video Noise Reduction. Hope to have a comparison video up soon.
    Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 12.42.09 PM.png
    1920 x 1200 - 884K
    Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 12.42.22 PM.png
    1920 x 1200 - 886K
  • Really digging the tutorials
  • gotcha! Thanks!
  • @rockroadpix no the custom user preset function
  • Function? You mean AE? I've used it to a small degree...
  • @rockroadpix it's probably because you've never used that function before, AE will create one for you. Use attached PDF to walk you through it. (updated install video coming later today)
    install_instructions.pdf
  • Here's a weird thing. I have no AE folder in my documents. I opened up adobe folder in apps and found a presets folder there. Does this do the same thing? Pardon my ignorance.
  • @shian. Problem solved, thanks.
  • Yes, please. I can't wait to see what you guys can do with it. Please post examples. I realize it's only been a day, so it may take some time to get up to speed, and the 'GHrain Killer' and 'Working with Scenes' tutorials aren't up yet (working on 'em right now) but there's plenty of "right-out-of-the-box" stuff you guys can do, especially if you've watched the ColorFist tutorial and have started playing with it.
  • We've all seen the samples that Shian posted on his site. While they are amazing, the fact remains the clips are under his purview, and we have no access to his workflow.

Now I am not accusing Shian of anything, far from it. I am just looking for some objective appraisal from users who have bought the app off his site. Pls, those who have downloaded the app, and gone on to grade yr stuff, appreciate it if you could post yr honest feedback.

Cheers

• @kholi - no offense taken. There is no anger in my tone. (unfortunately tone doesn't carry on the web, and can be misconstrued as a flame war) I just wanted to be clear that ColorGHear isn't a look suite, it's something rather different. And this kind of discussion is good, others that come to this thread will be able to get some of their questions answered just by reading through the thread.
  • @perty - you can download it from the members download page. It has the price listed there, but the download is free for members so you won't be charged, just click the download button.
    http://colorghear.com/install-instructions/
  • I can't download anything it says that the link has been closed because it was used too many times. Can you please provide an alternative??
  • @shian

I am sure there will be people that value the information that you're offering. It seems like there was a communication error on my part: I only wanted to see exactly what you were selling. I agree, AE and SG are hyper similar in those regards, we've been finishing broadcast projects in AE for years along-side working in a DaVinci theater for major clientele. It's all pretty common, for myself.

Me, personally, I like to know exactly what I'm buying, so I asked. No harm done/intended!
  • @kholi I hesistate to call them "looks". Looks are pretty much singular. You drag and drop them, and you're done. These operate more as nodes. And if you've ever worked in a node based environment you know that each node has a function, but rarely does one node alone create the desired effect. These nodes or GHears are designed to interact with each other in nearly the same way as the nodes on a Davinci or in Color, or Nuke. Some of them are simply looks...maybe a 3rd of them, the rest are nodes that perform a specific function beyond what any single effect in AE can provide. But to be most accurate it is very much like turning AE into SpeedGrade. Not many outside the color world have ever heard of SpeedGrade. Until I was trained on it, i'd never heard of it, but it is layer based - exactly like AE, but with lateral connectivity as well is vertical, which as those who have made it through the first round of tutorials can attest is something I've already begun talking about. I've basically turned AE into SpeedGrade and saved you $34,975.
  • @shian

Ok! I have recieved registration complete mail. Thank you!
  • @zorba - tracking it down now, I see your receipt, and will activate your membership with a temp password that you can change after logging in. But in the meantime, try checking your spam filter.
  • Purchased...
  • @shian

I have recieved the Download link.
    But not Registration details for member login? I have send u a message from website...
  • @shian

It's not about feeling whether its' for me or not, it's pretty much about being interested in a product and trying to find out exactly what it is. There wasn't any documentation that pointed to what you just wrote, which explains everything faster than it would have loading two videos that total about 60+ Minutes.

No one's discounting your experience, but your sales pitch and documentation were lacking to the point that I didn't understand what exactly was being sold. I understand every single thing you're doing, I live and work in the same world.

Even if Magic Bullet Looks is only looks, I know what I'm buying when I got to the site. I can look on a package of rice and know exactly what I'm getting. Now I know exactly what I'm buying if I hand you my hard earned (and very scarce) dollars, more so your tutorials and looks that you've developed over the years versus software or actual plug-ins.

Thanks for clarifying.
  • @kholi the presets are essentially a backdoor way of programming into After Effects the same tools I have at my disposal at work when I'm grading in SpeedGrade and Davinci. I don't use them as layers, but more like nodes. And then in the tutorials I teach you how to use them to get the kind of results I get. What you're really paying for is the tutorials, and my experience as a Professional Colorist. The main difference between this collection and the others you might have seen, is that I have fine-tuned the toolkit for cleaning and punching up DSLR footage, but if you feel its not for you, don't buy it. I'm sure @jobless felt the same way, but he very quickly learned that ColorGhear is much more than a set of looks.

It's the exact same set of tools I used on "The Cell 2" - Yes, I did the grading for all the FX scenes as well as the compositing in CS3 because the producers wanted something more interesting to look at while doing QC. I removed them for the Digital Intermediate, but when Fotokem couldn't reproduce my results in Davinci I was asked to put the looks back in. So every scene in that movie that contains a visual effect was color graded with a very primitive version of ColorGHear, it wasn't even called ColorGHear yet, it was just a folder full of AE presets I had created over the years that allowed me to work very quickly. I also used it on my award winning short film: "Singularity".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0832549/
  • @artiswar oops, that should read "Levels" here's some screen shots that might help. (Accidently attached 2 of the same image, but it won't let me delete the second one so just ignore it.) Thanks for pointing that out I'll fix that in the documentation and add screenshots to the PDF version (now attached)
    Screen shot 2012-01-01 at 4.33.53 PM.png
    927 x 812 - 193K
    Screen shot 2012-01-01 at 4.33.53 PM.png
    927 x 812 - 193K
    Screen shot 2012-01-01 at 4.34.27 PM.png
    810 x 552 - 129K
    install instructions.pdf
  • @artiswar

user presets for windows 7, vista, are C:\Users\username\Documents\Adobe\After Effects CS5.5\User Presets. You can also put them in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5.5\Support Files\Presets and browse presets in ae to find them.

• I just spent twenty minutes or more loading and listening to the videos, and the only thing I could gather from the first video and trying to make it through the second was that ColorGHear is a set of presets. I don't know what the actual tool is.

Personally, I'm just looking for a very clear and well-written piece of documentation on exactly what the ColorGHear Toolkit is, why I should pay for it/use it instead of Colorista or DaVinci or even Magic Bullet Looks. I can't find that. The FAQ doesn't offer me any insight to that.

However, the first one (although it was hard to listen to because of your Mic or how close you were sitting, the sounds of you resetting your breath were driving me crazy lol) was good for people to hear. Levels and Curves are really the strongest assets in balancing an image. I wish Colorista had a very fine point adjustment curve, sadly it's just four pre-determined points.

Can anyone please help me and tell me exactly what you're installing outside of a number of looks???

Hopefully that didn't come off the wrong way!
  • Alright. Could you clarify what you mean by adding a "layers adjustment" to the adjustment layer.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions