Personal View site logo
Using OCT-18/OCT-19 lenses on an M4/3 camera?
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • I've got the blue central lens flare too...OKC8-35-1
    It gets more visible the more you stop it down. Anyone know what this could be? I can't see any fungus...
  • @hireslofi I forgot to mention, mine were both OKC8-35-1 models. Where did you get yours from?

@FGCU what model number is yours?

@hasuneo does your version of the OKC8-35-1 have any problems with a central flare when you stop it down?
  • @RJH I got mine from seller kubanoid on ebay.

on closer inspection the aperture blades are covered in oil. try stopping down slightly then back up and look if you can see tiny lines in the oil where the blades crossed.
  • Kubanoid here.
  • @RJH did you check for the oil?
  • @hireslofi

The 2nd problem lens I bought came from kubanoid. I asked before I bought it if the lens showed any faults like the one I already had and it was checked with a konvas camera (only through the viewfinder) and said to be OK but when I put it on my GH2 I noticed it had the problem. It had a bit of oil on the blades, which is what I thought was causing a reflection on the glass and creating the flare, so I sent it back. Having said that, I have other OKC lenses which also have a little oil on the aperture blades and they don't have any problems.
  • I contacted eBay seller Kubanoid. Really great response back. He offered either full refund, to clean the aperture blades or swap for another one - although he doesn't have any right now :( Light hitting the oily blades and reflecting back off the lens seems like the most logical explanation. Really like the lens so I'm going for the clean up option.
  • Anyone using NDs or other filters on their Lomos? What size filter thread does the 35mm Lomo have? My 62mm didn't seem to bite properly.
  • @hireslofi

From what contact I had with him he seems like a very fair and helpful seller. I am contemplating disassembling my lens and trying to clean off the oil myself but I'm bound to cock it up! Let me know if you manage to get yours fixed.

I have no idea what size the filter thread is either, but am eager to know. What I do know is it screws directly onto the anamorphic Lomo 35NAS10-3 but I don't know what size the thread to that is either.
  • @RJH cheers. It looks to be around 62mm...but not quite. I'll keep you posted ;)
  • @hireslofi, most of my Lomo OCT-19 lenses appear to be 85mm front of lens filter thread. Non-standard item. 85mm across thread to thread using calipers. I have an 86mm step down ring, it ain't going on! Next standard ring is 82mm, no use.

I am going to eventually purchase a custom made 85mm step downring. Yet to decide what to step down to. Perhaps step down to next standard size, 82mm, then use other standard step down rings to reach goal. That said, I am confident my lenses are 85mm, however, I will make further enquiries before I go ahead and have one made. The only Lomo OCT-19 lens I have that has a standard size filter thread is my Lomo 18mm. This 18mm has a removeable I have a mattebox and 4x4 filters, however, this is rather bulky for many quick shots I am seeking to make with this handy GH2 beast.
  • I may be dreaming, but a while ago did someone say they'd managed to get a FF to work with the OCT18s that had a toothed ring added? RAF Cameras has one and a list of lenses it will fit, but I'm assuming they're the 19's not OCT18's
  • @FGCU: Could we see some pictures?
  • Can somebody tell me something about the Lenses tagged RO in OCT-18 mount? There are many around on ebay (RO56, R061 & RO70 seem quite interesting). As I could figure out they were made by KMZ but that's pretty much all I found out. So anybody tested them? How do they compete against the Lomos? I'm considering to get some OCT-18 lenses, but as a filmstudent my funds aren't numerous. So I'd be glad if sombeody has a hint if those lenses are considerable as they're mostly cheaper than the Lomos ;)

• @illusionistfilms I have a OCT-18 50mm f2.2 Lomo lens from 1972 - serial number 72xxxx - and love it. I don't know about the RO lenses, but I think a guy named Raf who sells many Lomos may have those on his site (rafcamera.com or google rafcamera).

• KMZ factory :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasnogorskiy_Zavod

and a very concise description of lomos RO KMZ Kinor etc from Olex:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=39803

• Thank you both for the information! I partly knew the sites already but nevertheless always helpful! So in general there's nothing wrong about giving the KMZ ones a try I guess... First of all I will most likely try out with a 8-35-1. How is focussing with this one? Do you need a 360° lens gear (e.g. the one from rafcamera) for FF?

• The'yre all the same design focussing-wise matey - the RAFA rings work well and are a little easier than tugging the metal ears around :)

• Guys, I have a set of oct-18 LOMOs (18, 22, 35, 50, 75) that I loooove the character of, but I'm a bit tired of screwing-unscrewing them from the ceico7 adapter. Am I missing something here? I can also tighten up the screws so that the rear barrel doesn't rotate at all, making the front element rotate for focusing, which isn't very practical as this is also the iris ring... Also, I'd be very interested to hear some first-hand experience of using them with a follow-focus: is it realistic? Isn't the lens rattling too much into the adapter? Thanks for your insights!

• I use a OKC8-35-1 in OCT-18 with the RAFCamera lensgear and it works like a charm paired with a follow focus. It's one of my favourite lenses for fast and accurate focus pulls. Which adapter are you using? The cheaper one for zoom lenses or the more expensive one designed for primes? It's true that changing the lens on both the adapters isn't a fast and practical thing.

• Thanks for your input. I'm using the expensive one, too. Isn't your adapter rattling when the outer barrels rotates in it?

• @SkinnyP

I have exchangable 360 degree lens gears in part for my oct-18's but also other adapted lenses..

Personally, IF I´d do a full scale production and I absolutely wanted to use the lomos, I´d get additional adapters and set each lens up individually (collimation and mechanical adjustments) for quick lens changes. At 320 usd a piece, I won't do it without the need to.

• @SkinnyP I have a Cinevate gear ring that is 360 degrees and works perfectly. I'm actually looking to sell that as well as the more expensive adapter, both of which will be discounted. PM me if interested.

I've always used my Lomos with the rear barrel tightened and I rotate the front to focus. This keeps focusing smooth and there's no rattling.