Personal View site logo
Reflectors
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • I love using bounce cards shooting outdoors.

We did a shoot last year where we had a woman and a little girl in the scenes. The little girl's dad told the director that we weren't professional because we didn't have "big lights". We just used a couple pieces of foamcore and beadboard and everything turned out great. No big heavy, expensive, lights needed.
  • Especially considering prices on chinese 5 in 1 reflectors.
    They have very good quality, compact.
    Foamcore is more about tradition now :-)
  • Fantastic resource - thanks! Reflectors are a great way of getting a cheap, even, large source. If you don't have proper stands, they can be clipped to mic stands. Foamcore is great but trickier on a windy day! I think if you're doing any outdoor Interview-type shoot it's always good to have a reflector in your kit.
  • Again, Chinese reflectors are of high quality and very cheap.
    I don't know that must happen to not allow you to have one (and they are available in either original Fancier brand or any other local brands).
  • Yup - I've got one of those Chinese 5-in-1 jobs. Really good (although the hoop inside broke on mine after undoing it a few times - still usable though). But no excuse not to own one!!
  • >although the hoop inside broke on mine after undoing it a few times

You need to get some skill to collapse it propertly. It brakes because most people try do it in very weird ways :-)
    I also have gray card of similar construction :-)
    Best thing is that they have gold and silver sides (they are no smooth after usage, but work ok) and they are quite effective.
  • The gold and silver sides are really nice sometimes - I agree. It can give a nice "mottled" light (when normally you go for very even lighting, as that's what a good light will supply). It's a great way of giving bit of character to the lighting. I've used that effect in a church to simulate the sort of light that comes through old glass windows.

I'm going to have to practice my reflector wrangling skills to avoid more breakages!
  • I don't think foamcore is more about tradition, I think it does have it's advantages. Bouncing light with a cheap reflector is ok for none moving subjects or for stills, but they tend to produce a heavy hot spot that is hard to control, especially with silver or gold side. Once the subject moves and you try to follow it things get more than tricky with those wobbly units. For the price and flexibility they're a must have to carry with you, for trickier shots or serious jobs where you can't afford to screw up, foamcore can deliver better, more stable results without spending too much on pro reflectors,