Personal View site logo
GH1: setting "Varigop" - superb IQ - integrated timelapse in MJPEG
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • Hi @zcream! You can easily change the settings using this patch within the GH1 between NTSC and PAL to determine which is most suitable. I've tried this patch in PAL mode and it works OK for me. The shutter speed may affect flickering irrespective of whether NTSC or PAL is used. Remember the 180-degree rule as a standard to work by. The relationship between shutter speed and frame rate can affect flickering, especially fluorescent lights can be a major hassle.

• you used this in pal country? No issue with flicker if you use 1/25 or 1/50 shutter?

Hey, @zcream sorry, wasn't here for a while. Yes, I use it in a PAL country, but I shoot exclusively in 24p. I haven't had problems with 1/50 shutter (if the question was related to fluorescent light) however, some LEDs are very problematic. I cannot record with 1/25, 1/30 is the minimum in my own patch (BTW still working great for me, constantly in use)

cheers

• So, just to confirm, you used 24P with 1/50th shutter and no issues with fluorescent light. Only some LED lights gave you issues with flicker, right ?

• I'm revisiting the Panasonic Lumix GH1. There's just something sweet about the image that this 2009 Lumix camera produces. Today, for less than $200 globally, the GH1 is an amazing bargain. The GH1 provides great colours and textures straight out of the camera. It may seem as though the M43 big brands are moving towards a more polished, digital looking image. While the GH1 does not have 4K or IBIS, it does possess a unique sensor which actually kicked off the micro four thirds 1080p revolution. There are some great programs available now that allow cinema buffs like yourself to upscale 1080p footage into detailed, vivid looking 4K video. Couple this with an OIS lens and the limitations of this camera can really work for you. I've reviewed and tested most (if not all) of the Lumix GH1 patches in existence since 2011. I've now created what I believe to be one of the most resilient "Native 24p/25p" patches to date. The "GOP Solid" patch combines low to moderate bitrates with long '15' GOP settings across the board to ensure maximum stability. This patch also incorporates settings from; LPowell's Blackout patch, Rigs' GOP3 patch and Tetakpatak's Varigop patch. It is only due to their time and effort I can hope to extend interest in the GH1. I have intentionally tested this patch in PAL mode on detailed, over-exposed, grassy and leafy scenes. Attached to my GH1 is the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm (H-FS014042) lens at 14mm (the widest end). I am using a SanDisk Ultra 120MB/s SDHC 32GB SD card (pictured below). I got zero write errors or card lock-ups with this patch. Bitrates can vary depending on lighting and scene detail. Please download, stress test this patch yourself and let me know your results. N.B. I have not tested this patch in 24p or 720p40/50 modes. I chose the 'Nature' picture profile with the following settings: Contrast: -2, Sharpness: 0, Saturation: 0, Noise Reduction: -2. Please fine tune these settings to your liking and report back.

Links....

PTool: https://www.personal-view.com/gh1hack/ptool3d.zip

GH1 firmware: https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/dl/gh1.html

https://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/27184/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh1-gop-solid-patch

seta.ini
    sdultra12032gbsdhc.jpg
    600 x 677 - 81K
  • Hi @zcream sorry mate, somehow I didn't see your question. And it was 2 years ago. Yes, I confirm it

• @jimbo1169 yes mate, I totally agree about GH1. It looks for my eyes very cinematic what this camera produces. I had to start my own productions 10 years ago, which includes several static cameras. GH1 rocks for me until today, I use four of this kind. I love its picture and I was taking care to store the batteries always around with 50% of charge when I'm not using the cameras for longer time. Even the batteries are still like new, but this will of course have to get worse at some point. I'm talking about Panasonic original batteries, all third-party batteries I've tried were PITA, it was a wrong place to save money on