Personal View site logo
Panasonic GH6, final m43 camera, again with bad AF
  • 402 Replies sorted by
  • MFT will focus on the V-Logging segment. They don’t see a huge market for a GH6 anymore as most people are moving to Full Frame. So the upcoming GH6 may be more a “Pro Grade” G100. It’s more of an upgraded GH5 in a new body with enhanced mobile integration. Or to make it short – a GH6 may not come with the desired specs and the story of the Pro Video MFT will end with the GH5.

43rumors

• Makes sense.

No wishes here people. Just suck the lemon candy as it is.

• Yeah, for Panasonic makes sense. Since now a camera that don't have 0,5mm of DOF and clean ISO 102800 video output is "useless", better bet in a market that mobility, fast turnaround and cheaper lenses as a valuable asset.

But probably will be the last batch of m43 bodies, after that the format will be only a niche format.

• "MFT will focus on the V-Logging segment." Strange decision considering the current state of their autofocus system. The GH line could've been that niche product for serious filmmakers on a budget, offering endless possibilities... I'm sure I don't speak just for myself here. But now I'm basically forced to ditch the format and splash the cash for that full frame extravaganza if I am to look for any sort of improvements in the future.

• @Dark_Blue

Vlogging is the new black :-)

This is the trend in Japan, as you don't have any tourists anymore and rich people already piled at least 4-5 cameras they think that they found new niche - wannabe bloggers and vloggers.

• MFT will focus on the V-Logging segment.

This is actually good news for M43. Just take GH5, put it into GX body with all the "pro" bells and whistles like 10 bit, v-log, price @ $1K and target at gazillions of youtube kids willing to be the next PewDiePie. Yesterdays "pro" technologies will sooner or later become mass products. If you don't do that some Chinese startup will. It's inevitable. So be the first, sell the "pro" stuff that you already have at discounted price but to a much broader audience.

There's still a window of opportunity: smartphones still can't do The Bokeh properly. That's your last chance to stay afloat, Panasonic! Help Kasey find his perfect camera. And sell the mojo of Bokeh to millions of hipsters. It won't take much for the paid "influencers" to convince people that it's not cool and "pro" to vlog with an iPhone. And attack FF for its bulky lenses and poor portability. M43 still has some attractive selling points in this niche, if targeted properly (G100 is a disaster).

The lack of phase detection AF is Panasonic's week spot in this market, however.

• Reliable sources confirmed to me that while there will be definitely a new GH6 this camera won’t come any time soon. Definitely not this autumn or winter. The best we can hope is that Panasonic might start to tease about this camera early like they did with the GH5.

I don't agree on this data :-)

• I don't get all this rush on FF. Just because every wanna be filmmaker could have a razor thin DOF?

• @LongJohnSilver especially as we have all been brought up on TV shows shot with 2/3" sensors! IMHO shallow depth of field looks awful as its not the way we see the world, so it always screams FAKE to me.

• I agree. Aesthetic apart, there are several fields where a FF sensor is a PITA:

• wildlife documentaries
    • sport events
    • underwater filming

I basically do underwater shooting the full frame has more disadvantages than advantages. The equipment is much larger and heavier. In addition, in order to compensate for the lens loss of FOV, you have to use huge cristal dome in front of it. Moreover, underwater a shallow depth of field is your worst enemy.

M43 it's really the sweet spot. I hope that in the future at least APSC format will be saved from this collective madness.

• FF is extremely limiting for almost all of the work I do. I actually think FF will have a negative impact on most YT videos that involve any kind of group dynamic in terms of views and audience.
    OTOH, a really well engineered camera should be able to offer 35 and m43 and "1" as a subset camera.

• Is there some new rumour that is worth mentioning?

• @LongJohnSilver

Japanese management is scared.

No money for new LSI chips, discussion is to make one each 3 years now. Will be shared among ALL cameras, even video oriented.

GH6 prototypes exist, but no decision is made. My source inside tell that GH6 was not discussed during any of last meetings. Also camera can be called different, not GH lineup at all.

• GH6 or bust. Come on guys, it['s been yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears.

• I don’t know where he finds this information

• @endotoxic

I don’t know where he finds this information

In his head, little hype helps.

I didn't saw any credible leak yet.

• @LongJohnSilver It looks like there is a new E-M1Xii coming later this year that will have a new sensor based on comments from OM Digital UK rep from earlier this week. A GH6 would like be based on the same sensor. There are no details yet on the sensor specs or if other internals such as LSI are getting updated. The development was was likely paid by Olympus before the transfer to OM Digital, so it is possible that we might get one last nice update.

This new sensor would eventually get used in other m43 mid-level product over time according to OM Digital rep.

• Most probable is x2 the pixel density from previous sensor with heavy noise reduction and sub sampling for optimal image quality.

So 40megapixel sound not that crazy if you finally get 32mpx per image and good 8k which sounds quite good. If online services for raw 40mpx sub sampling where implemented from any of this companies well m4/3 ain’t dead yet

• GH6--obviously will tank sales of the premium cams if it ever comes out unless it is missing some key, easily doable features. So the long delay. Only thing that will get Panasonic moving is if some other company makes something similar like with the cube.

• Despite such optimistic views, leaks from inside Panasonic EU guys can mean that m43 lenses and cameras can have their final year of production and lot of lenses final months (but will be in stock for at least next 6-8 months after production will stop).

Some final decisions had been made during March according to some rather panic private talks.

• A source told me that Panasonic will make a major MFT announcement on the Lumix 20th anniversary day.

GH6 can become last serious new m43 camera made by Panasonic.

As far as March meetings - m43 is not killed yet, do not know much more details.