Personal View site logo
Personal View Feature Film Collaborative project
  • 536 Replies sorted by
  • Well, I'll lay down the law first here ;-)

(nothing sinister, check poll results so far if you don't agree with me)

What is officially going to happen is we will RATE all the script ELEMENTS (scale of 1-10), and APPROVE "X" number of them. This needs to happen soon, but before that the script page of the wiki needs to be re organized into "elements" and "main concepts".

Can someone step up and get that taken care of? Make a NEW page for this, so as to maintain the original content for reference, but retranslate it over to a new page. (Original authors may then feel free to check and if necessary change the transfer person's transfer job.)

I would do this myself, but like I said, finals at university for me the next week and a half.

In conjunction with or soon after the ELEMENTS poll, there will be a MAIN CONCEPT poll, done by rating each script (scale of 1-10), and either eliminating a bottom percent, accepting a top percent, or choosing one. We need more poll results for me to feel comfortable making a call on how we should do this. (I was pretty comfortable officializing an "elements" rate-poll, as the opinions on that seem to be fairly harmonious.) Please participate in the poll if you have not already, and pay special attention to the "whole script" options. We could eliminate, accept, or select a single.
  • @kong
    I think that that list is a little naive and incomplete but still useful. However these kind considerations are more important in the phase of writing, and obviously the choosen writer should be a competent one.
    Of course while voting we have to be aware of these things as much as possible.

@Vitaliy
    You're definitely right, i think that to create different departments with supervisors is the first thing that we should do after choosing the concept/script.
  • Guys, I really suggest to form some structure and have responsible people for different aspects.
    Otherwise it'll soon become bunch of unstructured information.
  • Hi guys, I just joined this forum. I'm an aspiring screenwriter/director/dp...watever :) I see many great ideas here and on the wiki pages. Some ideas requires special effects/specialized locations/large crews and in general high budgets (which I presume we have none). So I suggest that when submitting/considering THE concept, we have to rank budget as our top requirement.

I recently read a screenwriting book that list the 7 elements of screenplays. If we can have that much in any story concept we would be in a much better situation to finalized an idea. Here are the seven elements that may help the project at this stage:

1. HERO: the main character

2: HERO's CHARACTER FLAW: flaw at the beginning of the story that hold back the hero from achieving his full potential. The hero views this as a defense mechanism to keep him/her emotionally and physically safe.

3. ENABLING CIRCUMSTANCES: situations that the hero has created/found that allow him to maintain his flaw.

4. OPPONENT: someone who opposes the hero from getting what he wants. This may/may not be a bad guy that forces the hero to abandon his flaw/enabling circumstances and instigates the LIFE CHANGING EVENT.

5. HERO's ALLY: the person that spend the most time with the hero to help him overcome his flaw.

6. LIFE CHANGING EVENT: a challenge, threat or opportunity that forces the hero to choose between his flaw and the opportunity present.

7. JEOPARDY: the ultimate price the hero has to pay to get what he wants.
  • I'm outa commission for the next two weeks. I can sure participate in polls, but as far as making any more or getting wiki pages organized, I'm out. Next week is the last week of classes, week after is finals.
  • Just posted my storyline proposition!
    I think we should decide a votation-day just to establish a deadline.
    Next monday? The more we get close to christmas time the more it'll be difficult to do something
  • Honestly, at this point we don't even need to worry about "physical assets" and who will do what. Once we decide on a concept and flesh out a nice outline, the rest of the pieces will fall into play. With a basic script / outline, we can present it to the personal view community and assign rolls to the volunteers from there. Once we have a solid story go off, the ball will start rolling pretty quickly!
  • yep. I'd rather limit who can vote. Your mom is probably not going to bother to sabotage our polling, but I can understand that you'd be rather wary of your cat. Perhaps in the future, I will PM the link to the poll rather than posting it up for all to see. As far as connecting each name openly to the results, I can do that easily enough by providing a comment box as the first question. Anyone wishing to see who voted for what is more than welcome to log on and look at the choices of individual IP addresses (along with the commented username that accompanies).

Oh, and looking at the results of my second poll attempt, I'm happy to report that the results are much easier to decipher (especially the 1-10 ranking ones. Its beautiful)
  • @B3guy
    :P thank you for that respect :P
    it was your idea the one that started this though :D

About the subject in question, i like your idea of voting for the main concepts and the elements of every storyline, i like the idea also of ranking those elements from 0-10,
    so problaby we should reformulate the format in wich the storylines are presented on the wiki, in order to everyone to edit his story according to this, i don´t mind if you are the one doing it, but, just make it look in order, respecting the format of the wiki (there is info on the format on the wiki´s homepage)

----
    on other subject

About the voting, i dislike the idea that everyone can vote, i think that everyone that has written his name on the assets list (whatever the asset he/she may have) must have the right to vote, but not everyone on the internet, my mom, my friends, my cat, etc... and also that all the vote must be public and with the nickname that we have here, to get transparency every time we do a poll,

----
  • props for mentioning Henry V. The game's afoot!

I'll wait for @lolo to voice thoughts on all this before making any page changes. He's put in a lot of effort which should be respected.
  • Been reading about the collaboration film, but haven't gotten involved yet. It's a bit of a camel at the moment (horse designed by committee), but I'm sure given time somebody with a strong idea/script will present themselves. Don't lose patience...

I agree with B3Guy that this should be a work of substance, but at this stage it's important for everyone to float their ideas (however paltry they may seem). People have their strengths and weaknesses, and most (including myself) probably aren't very good script writers. Having said that, ideas beget ideas.

I really wish I had something to put on the table at this stage. This project will be a slog until it's on its feet, but then it'll outpace a Neutrino!

Good luck everyone, that was my Henry V speech.

• Yup. Exactly. This changes the game a bit, but I think what I will do with the survey results is we will do two separate things: somehow choose or rate the ELEMENTS, and somehow choose or rate MAIN CONCEPTS, (aka "scripts as a whole" on the poll)

EDIT: the results of the current poll can still easily be used to determine the process for doing each of these., so I'll leave it up.
  • @B3Guy
    Yes, you are absolutely right.. good call. If the suggestion is unclear wether it's a main concept or an element then I guess it could be a choice in both sections.
  • Perhaps we should rephrase those two sections as "Main Concepts" (those ideas that dictate an approach towards the whole)

and "Elements" (those ideas for incorporation into the main concept)

For example, @lolo's idea (via askel) to all shoot our own version of the same script seems to dictate an approach towards the whole, and would be a main concept. Alternatively, the idea to choose a unifying word could easily be an "element". (but having "no script" and using a unifying word is definitely dictating an approach towards the whole again.)

I'm not discrediting any specific ideas, just showing how some really are "Main Concepts" because they're not going to work along with any other idea or story. Others could fit in with anything, and these are more "elements".

Does this make sense?

EDIT: @Elenion great minds think alike! (so do crazy ones)
  • @b3Guy I mean, a lot can happen with ideas if they are worked upon, but they will remain as such if there is no feedback, no development of them. I don't think they necessarily have to be incorporated into each and every script but it would make sense to see if there is something people find interesting.. I think a poll could be food for thought in that way.

A lot of good work has been done already, but it's hard to get a grasp of anticipation and excitement about particular suggestions other than the most vocal and obvious stuff. :)
    Maybe a comment field would be good as well, when it comes to a concept poll - it would give the opportunity to voice ideas for how the implementation of the concept is envisioned for instance.
  • Just made the poll. I'm working hard in these days but tomorrow or friday i think i'll be able to propose something. Good job guys!
  • Yes. Perhaps it is critical that I point out here that there is a separate section on the storyline page for general concepts as opposed to full scripts. We can certainly poll on those as well and do our darndest incorporate them into the script.

Thanks for pointing that out. Those with stuff in the "storyline" section of the page should maybe consider wether some of their ideas can be included also (or moved) to the "free concepts" section. This will save confusion of intentions later on.
  • @B3Guy

I think it makes sense to distinguish between scripts (which are as such - some already developed to a decent extent) and concepts for unifying factors f.i. Or even concepts for scripts (ideas for scripts, yet to be developed).

If we start by polling about concepts and concepts for scripts then the more elaborate scripts (or even more elaborate ideas) can move on to the next round, when we start to distinguish between actual scripts and ideas for alternate storylines within the same scripts.

As of now, I think there can be some confusion in regards to the intent with the actual concepts and if concepts entail no script or scripts to come (be developed from them).
  • OK, guys. no disrespect, but I gotta open a worm can here. Some of these scripts are not scripts, just saying. I was hoping we could do something that avoided being what I see as the "ever-growing mush pile" of plot-lacking "short films" on vimeo, etc. As good of eye candy as some of these are, there are so many, names like "love" or "a day in the woods" that ultimately don't have much lasting value, IMO. It is EASY for almost anyone to think up a quick little "theme" to tack on their test footage or the stuff they shot on vacation. I'd rather not call something a "film" when it is really just a compilation of plotless vignettes, all having the same "theme". I feel like I could go on vimeo, plug something into the search box, grab the first ten relevant results, edit them together and have a "film" by those standards. I in no way am trying to control the direction of this project, I just want to get my sentiments out there for you guys to think over. If the majority want to do a compilation vignette film, so be it, that's fine. But I probably won't be as excited or invest nearly as much time or effort as I have been.
  • I'll check, @Vitaliy_Kiselev

In the mean time, there's a NEW survey! This one should work much better, Please bear with me here and give it a try. Go to the poll bags of the wiki for more details.
  • @driftwood
    I like your idea, simple and open.
  • @B3Guy

I just suggest to check existing plugins for DocuWiki on local computer, tell me one that work and good for you and I'll install it.
  • Ok, restock time. SurveyMonkey is absolute crap. after seeing what it is giving me with several responses, it is clear that I'm not quite using it correctly. I think that with a basic account it really will only be handy for more basic y/n or multi choice questions.

I'm thinking maybe we should just keep things a tad more informal, maybe "aye" and "nay" on the wiki or in the polls. Survey Monkey doesn't seem cut out to really give good graphed results, unless I'm somehow using it wrong.

EDIT: sorry gang, I've looked again and realized that I used the wrong question type. Many thanks to those who took the poll, it helped me see what I messed up. I'll scrap that one and make essentially the same thing, but using CORRECT question type. (I was using a simple 2-axis and putting in my own numbers. I should've used their numbered one, which gives each number a n actual weight. MUCH better.)

@driftwood glad you've got an idea, throw it up on the wiki page!
  • I think a good process should work for any one of those ideas, but absolutely the deadlines fore each would look very different. I believe that regardless, we mustn't just pick something and go. we should take at least a couple different stages to hear out other people's variations on a script concept. but that's just me, maybe others are ready to just run with something.
  • Here's my idea for the 'connector' and one that I used in my 'Last Teardrop' film recently. Each section starts with a closeup of a mouth or eyes, someone is retelling the same story in there own way - but in a chinese whisper kinda way...The mouth/eyes fades into the new version of the story.