Personal View site logo
It's Official: Firmware Update for DMC-GH2 / G3 / GF3 / GF2 coming
  • 372 Replies sorted by
  • @RRRR
    @Gabel

You guys are not wrong, I'm just a bit fed up with waiting for firmware, extra features and so forth, I'm a firm believer in this mentality you speak of this logic, but a producer isn't going to back me on a project that is Micro four thirds unless it's the AF100 because they don't understand. Now a pro offering from panasonic with 10bit 422 all the silver lining...investors approve of this...everybody happy.

And I'll cut in GH2 material, hopefully no one will notice. Just to prove a point.
  • What mean (from the beginning of December) or did they forgot the year 2013 ?
  • Yeah so I clearly don't have the new firmware and my confusion was in the above post.
  • Panasonic firmware has form of 1.12, but it does not show last digit on firmware info screen.
    So uncoming 1.1 release can be very different from 1.1 on camera (like 1.18 is different to 1.10) :-)
  • @graphicnatured

Congrats on your successful hacked :) I think some of us are interested to know whether your camera is indeed shipped with 1.1 firmware and the next million dollar question, is there 25P?
  • I think I was confused by the upgrade firmware saying 1.1 and not seeing any change in file size when I viewed in VLC. I tried a slightly different method on the fourth try and it worked. I used Aquamotion ver.2 here http://osgfilms.com/hack-the-panasonic-gh2 and used "2" for my increment and saved as GH2__V16. I then did a test vid of a minute and checked the file size and realized immediately that it worked. I viewed the vid on my 52" LCD and am more than pleased, especially coming from a D7000. Thanks Vitaliy and Driftwood!
  • @graphicnatured can you give some more details
  • Hey all, great work everyone and big thanks Vitaliy for making this possible!
    Just ordered my GH2 from BH few days ago and now saw this. So getting the NTSC version and I'm from Serbia, Europe.
    @graphicnatured Is it really with that new firmware and did you find a way to downgrade?

Cheers!
  • Yeah, starting to look like a little case of user error. It worked. My apologies. WOW, is all I can say.
  • @graphicnatured: are you sure this is not just the "old news" lens firmware 1.1? Could you test one of the added features on its availability to confirm it is the new firmware? for example, disabling touch screen?
  • @FGCU are you a fan?
  • Is it a pal euro version?
  • I think I tried that and it didn't work, but I'll look further and see if there is more info. Thanks. All I see is 24p.
  • I just received the new GH2 with firmware version 1.1. I was hoping to be able to take advantage of all the hard work you guys have been doing. Any possibility I can revert to version 1 without doing damage, then installing the hack? The possibility of the higher bit rates were what attracted me to this cam, but it doesn't appear that I can change the firmware.
  • Panasonic took the extra month for the new firmware. Hopefully... they changed a lot... in a good way!!! In that case, the longer he takes, the better I presume. 2012? :)
  • @Vitaliy: Do you know if the new firmware will be hackable? If so, what time you consider to get a new ptool with new firmware based?
    Thanks
  • @Gabel
    completely agree..!

• @RRRR: Exactly! I've built my rig so that if I change the camera all I have to change is the body and possibly a new adapter (right now I have Lomo OCT-19 lenses, but will probably convert them to PL in the future, for using with more cameras). My rig, tripod and everything did cost... But if you get quality stuff it's basically a one time purchase. Next time I get something, I just need to get a new body.

As you say a camcorder is a WORSE investment for future-proofing. I think it's better to spend more on getting a decent camera at a decent price (in this case a GH2) but spend it on a nice rig and nice glass, as that will last you through the years, no matter the camera.
  • @rains: isn't the need to buy something else a problem with you (and others with similar addiction) and not with dslrs? I for one think the massive pro with dslrs is that you invest in glass and then you have it. You invest in a rig and then you have it. The bodies will change, quickly, there's no real value in that (although the efforts from people on / behind this page helps to prolong that with some cameras). A mid-range camcorder (without the possibility to alter the optics / the look of the image before shooting) is even worse since it will very quickly become obsolete and what is it's value then? The only reason a camcorder is worth considering is if you are shooting live events (or similar) and can make money doing it - which quickly pays for the gear. But then I would also be very careful with options that cannot be used in other ways - and of quickly getting bracketed. (It might not be a problem for everyone, for sure!)

That said, there are a bunch of necessary and unnecessary things which will never keep their value - the major question then is about production value.
  • I also want to add that not having the latitude with the GH's doesn't bother me at all, it puts emphasis on the shoot, the glass and filters screw on, or 4x4, i've noticed grading doesn't take as long anymore i can cut and work faster. If it's an autumn shoot/location i want to capture that flat and truthfully and we can with the GH's. A bit of sharpening, gamma, colour tweak and pro amp thats it, no more bullet for me. back to basics.
  • Then again, my view on photography is glass, technique/skill and location/condition so, i'm sorry GH2 i didn't mean what i said, I take it back.
  • i secretly wish the a77 is better than the gh2 because of 24mgb stills....i confess....wish GH3 does 21mgb stills haha dream come true...
  • cash cow meant always a reason to buy something else, needing something else, companies love it. drug dealer mentality. come back and buy. GH1 GH2 GH3 and so on, why not GH2 with everything? because thats bad for business.
  • mm yes i miss out on glass it's an addiction it needs to stop, ah to explain my cash cow statement.

Well first theres the glass, audio, photography and filmmaking specs they will never give DSLR cine specs because that affects the market with other pro products, it's simple really we are always talking about updates and waiting waiting speculation, with the HPX250 i'm not worried about anything depth of field will have to suffer...thats my thought...the HPX is 5k at the moment i would of spent over that very soon on glass!! alone.

With my GH1/2 kit i have rails, M/box legacy russian and german glass, beautiful, also have OM and lumix glass, tiffens, rode mic, i love it but it's to much gear and frankly people aren't progressive thinkers like us, people who can invest in my work want pro gear that is proven, a producer won't fund me using GH cams, they don't get it. maybe with lumix working with nat geo will help us but they still need to give us GH3 or 25p which i don't think will happen.
  • @rains
    > i'm really tired of worrying bout what i need next with this DSLR cash cow machine companies have created

Can you explain? Apart from getting a few rails bits and pieces... shoulder mount etc... you would "STILL" need to work out some shoulder ENG style mount for the AG-HPX250! So in my calculations you would only save on a Follow Focus system and some 'nice glass'...

You needs the glass though... that AG-HPX250 an't going to get you a f1.4 depth of field...

If you are worried about the DSLR cash cow- check out @VK's deals- that man is a 'not human' in a good way!
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions