Personal View site logo
Good quote: On modern school and information overload
  • I consider that a man’s brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skilful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.”

SHERLOCK HOLMES, A STUDY IN SCARLET

Since 9:00

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Stuff people's heads with numbers, stuff them with harmless facts until they feel sick, they will think that they are very educated. They will even have the impression that they are thinking that they are moving forward, even though in reality they are standing still. And people will be happy, for the "facts" with which they are stuffed are something unchanging. But do not give them such slippery matter as philosophy or sociology. God forbid, if they begin to draw conclusions and generalizations.

As much sports, games, amusements as possible - let the person always be in the crowd, then he does not need to think. Organize, organize more and more new sports, super-organize supersport! More picture books. More movies. And there is less food for the mind.

Ray Bradbury

• "If you begin by firstly educating a child's mind while its brain is still less than two-thirds mature and is nevertheless obliged to absorb an immense number of words, images, and figures too quickly on the little receptors in its brain which are still very soft and fluid and are still concerned to achieve their own best development, these little receptors become hardened on the one hand and conversely they are chaotically confused by exhaustive memory exercises. As a result these little children in their later youth and even as adults are plagued by constant headaches from which their minds will never be completely freed for the rest of their lives."

Jakob Lorber written about 1850.

• @garroulus

Quote seems to touch serious things that looks completely unfounded.

• Founded or unfounded i find it really intriguing mentioning "little receptors in it's brain" on that time...

• @garroulus

Actually thin dissecting of brains had been used before the quote date, and if I remember right quite long before this. So it is not surprising.

• I don't want to deviate from the topic ( that i find it very good) but the author talked about space time interconnection and subatomic particles about the same time...

• @garroulus

but the author talked about space time interconnection and subatomic particles about the same time...

Where he talks about it?

In 19th century understanding of brain had been really bad (but I never heard any modern serious brain research involving space time and subatomic particles yet, it is still more ideas of popular guys or strange physics who want to attach their theories to something). So thing he talks about is that he saw or heard being talked about.

• Sorry Vitaliy got lost in translation...

Like i sayed i realy like this topic and i don't want to come with my own shit .

Not in the same sentence about the brain....

"These animals are spherical in form, their surface being extremely smooth. Their food is the essence of light. Their life span is the trillionth part of a second, after which they join in their trillions to begin to form a second category of living beings, though these do not differ greatly from their predecessors as far as size is concerned." "They may be called 'monads'." "This type of animal has the planetary sphere for its habitat. The life span is a thousand billionth of a second." "In the same way, one category after the other is formed, almost the same in form, with life in a higher potency each time. The life span of these entities will have gradually increased to the thousand millionth part of a second."

Remember about 19850 maybe 60...

• @garroulus

Well, here I have only one answer:

May the force and the really strong drugs be with you... :-) Always...