Personal View site logo
Panasonic DC-S5 - expensive APS-C camera in disguise
  • 137 Replies sorted by
  • I'll be honest, the only thing stopping me swapping out my S1 for this is the poor evf. If it was the same as G9 or GH5 then no question. I remember the resolution of the GH4 and G85 evf and it is not good for photo work

• @Vitalyi_Kiselev Small numbers from inside Panasonic I just wonder if this is different then when other companies are involved. I suspect they all do the same.

• The announcement of this camera seems to have pushed the G9 price back up to $1199

I'm assuming it's related, anyways

• @Roedie

Yes, it is all similar.

It is this people and organization that killed camera market, same way as cartels kill development and progress.

• It seems panasonic strategies is to use this camera to keep or raise the price of other cameras. S1 was 2000 now it is 2500.

I think the S5 is not cheap body construction because it is magnesium alloy and weather/dust sealed. So maybe it is a strong body and great features in a small lightweight portable size. Maybe it can handle heavy/ long lenses without using rails/rods.

I dont think it is APS-C camera because film/video production will use Full Frame 24p and 30p most of time and 50p/60p is only for slow motion, so there is no problem using APS-C for slow motion moments.

• I dont think it is APS-C camera because film/video production will use Full Frame 24p and 30p most of time and 50p/60p is only for slow motion, so there is no problem using APS-C for slow motion moments.

Number of youtube oriented 60fps production now rose around 5x in last 2 years. Same is true for usual people - they will always prefer 60fps footage.

So, if you are into most mass market segment - it is efficiently APS-C camera.

As for prices, just give it time, they'll back off if sales will be not good.

Panasonic managers who work on L system are total nuts, with profits meetings sometimes being up to 4 per months, despite horrible sales.

• Hey, as you know the percentage rise of x tells you nothing about the level of x. So, if .001 of Youtube-oriented productions used 60p two years ago, then now .005 use it (5X!). I doubt very much a large fraction of Youtube "productions" (I am not sure what they are) use 60p, and especially 4K 60p.

I agree that if one is interested in 4K 60p, this is an APS-C camera, so why not get one that shoots 6K 60P, in RAW, for the same price?

• @markr041

Hey, as you know the percentage rise of x tells you nothing about the level of x. So, if .001 of Youtube-oriented productions used 60p two years ago, then now .005 use it (5X!). I doubt very much a large fraction of Youtube "productions" (I am not sure what they are) use 60p, and especially 4K 60p.

Well, quite large number of people use 60p now, Youtube also give such videos some priority boost (as far as SEO guys know). Such video are much simpler to stabilize, AF, in Panasonic case, works much better also.

For sports, bike rides, car rides, talking-walking blogs, music and such - 60p is solution.

I personally do not consider any camera that can't keep up at 4K 50/60fps without frame cropping, and have same opinion for 3 years.

• Are rhe same sensor used on this ,S1 and S1H? My main issue with this one seems to be a bad rolling shutter I seen in a test

• Guy inside Panasonic sent me info - they sent around 50% more free bodies than usual to Youtube influencers and sellers, setting absolute record for any camera gear.

Also small info from same source - around 99% of all feedback youtube reviewers provide is going directly to the email bin, they have multiple standard responses usually so it looks nice initially until you have experience, but most of the time now main part of engineers and firmware team already work on another project, so no one really care, except if it is obvious big bug.

Tech (not marketing) Panasonic side has funny calling for all this Youtube circus - "Our little ponies".

This is due to reference to child cartoon and also anal sex (that Panasonic regularly performs with them).

sa14373.jpg
    554 x 825 - 110K
  • Please tell us the concept of LUMIX S5

The S5 is a model equipped with the high performance of the S1 series in both still images and videos in a compact and lightweight body, targeting a wide range of creators from amateurs to professionals who are particular about expressing their own work by making full use of still images and videos. It is said. The small body does not mean that the performance is reduced, but the model is equipped with the high performance of the S1 series in a well-balanced manner, so we hope that it will be used by a wide range of users.

Is it a lower end model compared to S1?

As you know, we consider it as a lower model of S1.

Since it has 24.2 million pixels, are the sensors and engine the same as the S1 series?

The sensor is the same as the S1, and the image processing engine is the same latest generation as the S1 series.

What is the major difference from the S1 series?

We started development of this S5 with the aim of realizing a compact and lightweight body. In addition to simply reducing the size and weight, we were conscious of installing the high performance evaluated in the S1 series in a well-balanced manner.

Among them, we have newly developed a small battery with a slightly reduced capacity, and also newly developed a shutter unit and camera shake correction mechanism around the mount to reduce the size and weight. The shutter achieves the same 1 / 8,000 seconds as the S1 series, but as shown in the specifications of the flash synchronization speed (S1 series: 1/320 seconds, S5: 1/250 seconds), the shutter of the S1 series is It will achieve higher accuracy.

We have newly developed a camera shake correction mechanism for the S5 in order to reduce the size and weight of the body. However, the control method for camera shake correction is the same as for the S1 series, with 5 steps for in-body camera shake correction and a maximum of 6.5 steps for Dual IS2, which is controlled in conjunction with in-lens camera shake correction. The S1 series has 6 steps of in-body camera shake correction, and the Dual IS2 has a maximum of 7 steps.

In this way, there is a difference in performance compared to the S1 series, but I think that even with this, we are able to achieve high performance in terms of shutter performance and camera shake correction performance of the S5.

There is a difference in the video recording time limit from S1H, but even with S5, there is no time limit (with temperature limit) for 4K60p 30 minutes and 4K30p 8bit, so you can shoot with confidence.

Although it has been downsized, has the structure such as the body material changed?

As with the S1 series, the body material uses a lightweight magnesium alloy frame that is strong against impact.

In addition, by utilizing our unique thermal simulation and further evolving the heat dissipation technology and power saving technology that we have cultivated in S1H and GH5, we have achieved both miniaturization and high performance.

What is the background behind the SD double slot?

First of all, in terms of managing shooting data, I thought that a double card slot that enables sequential (relay) recording, backup (simul) recording, and distribution recording is essential for safe shooting. Among them, we prioritized the miniaturization of the body and adopted the double slot of the SD card.

S1H was also SD, but also can use CFexpress

As for the type of media, the one that best suits the characteristics of the model is selected. The S1 and S1R are compatible with CFexpress, the next-generation high-speed card, but this is a result of assuming RAW continuous shooting use for still image applications. Especially for S1R, it has a high pixel count of 47M, so I think it is useful for continuous shooting.

On the other hand, S1H, whose main target is video production, is mainly used for video, but the maximum bit rate of video recording installed in S1H is 400 Mbps, which is recorded by V60 if it is the video speed class of SD card. It is possible to. Therefore, I chose SD card for S1H. We are considering using the S5 for both still images and movies, but we have selected the SD card in order to prioritize the miniaturization of the body.

Please tell us about the evolution of the AF function.

Regarding AF, we first worked on improving the performance of recognition AF. In addition to the conventional "face / pupil recognition" and "human body recognition" / "animal recognition" that utilize deep learning technology, deep learning now supports "head recognition", and by speeding up processing, people's The accuracy of capturing people, such as capturing power, detection power, and followability, has been greatly improved.

In addition, even during AFC, the new algorithm, the evolution of DFD, and the speeding up of recognition processing make it difficult for the background to disappear, and even if the subject is small, the performance is improved. With regard to AF during moving images, a new algorithm and faster recognition processing make it possible to continue capturing the subject intended by the photographer.

Which model does the AF tracking performance compare to the conventional model?

Compared to the S1 series (S1, S1R, S1H).

Are there any updates to the existing S1 series?

We would like to reflect the evolution of the AF function in the S5 with the firmware upgrade for the S1 series, and we plan to release the firmware within 2020.

From Digitimes interview

Motherboard

sa14378.jpg
    794 x 525 - 48K
  • VK im surprised how many of these youtube guys got samples ,even one with like a few thousand subscribers

• @sammy

I wrote above about this.

I had been told pair of years ago that PV, for example, could not get review samples due to "inability to predict our opinion" (exact words said!).

Guy who sent me info said that during 3 last years at least in 4 cases big leading infuencers literally cried and freaked out because of possible delay with their review body. They told how it'll make big issues, how they can't feed their family and so on.

Usually free gear are round 25-30% of all of their actual income. And preorders and affiliate sales are around 65%. For top ones affiliate income reaches 90%.

• Wow.. sad

• The can send me a review copy for PV, I have ~200K subs. But they certainly won't predict what I will say--I don't even know!

• We remind you don’t forget to wait until price is real low to buy. We are sure you hate us.

Yours truly: Panafriends and stuff

• Next part of interview

What are the highlights considering video functions?

The first point is that this small body can record 4K / 60p 10bit internally. Moreover, with 4K / 60p and 4K 10-bit shooting, you can shoot for 30 minutes without fail. Also, in 4K 8-bit shooting and FHD shooting, you can shoot without time limit, so you can use it at the scene of video production with confidence.

It also supports 4K / 60p 4: 2: 2 10bit external output via HDMI. For Log shooting, it is possible to record a wide color gamut with 14+ stop V-Log and V-Gamut, which have a wide dynamic range equivalent to that of our digital cinema cameras VariCam and S1H. This V-Log was unified even when combined with materials recorded with VariCam, S1H, S1, and MFTS GH5, GH5S, G9, etc. equipped with the same V-Log. The gamma characteristics and look allow for efficient editing.

In addition to these, it also supports HLG 4K HDR video, anamorphic shooting, and slow & quick motion shooting (4K: 1-60fps, FHD: 1-180fps). In future firmware upgrades (scheduled for 2020), we plan to support video RAW data output (5.9K / 30p, etc.) to ATOMOS NINJA V via HDMI and C4K video recording.

What about heat management?

In order to efficiently disperse the heat generated by the sensor and image processing engine, we are further evolving the heat dissipation technology and power saving technology that we have cultivated so far by utilizing our original thermal simulation and S1H and GH5.

What is the anamorphic shooting mode?

This is a shooting mode that supports the production of cinemascope-sized video works with a 4: 3 aspect anamorphic lens. Like the S1H, the S5 features a full-frame sensor that allows you to shoot with a 4-perforation anamorphic angle of view that makes the most of the expressive power of anamorphic lenses.

In addition, it is equipped with an anamorphic desk ease display function, which allows you to simulate the state of being stretched to the size of a cinemascope during shooting, so you can compose and set while imagining the finished image after editing. Is possible.

Are there any new elements in the video function that the S1 series does not have?

The S5 supports quick motion shooting that the S1 / S1R does not have, and both slow motion / quick motion shooting support AF.

When choosing S1 or S5 for video recording, what are the criteria for making it easier to understand?

The S1 is a camera with uncompromising functions and performance for professionals, and is one rank higher than the S5 in terms of viewfinder, camera shake correction, shutter, robustness, and environmental resistance.

On the other hand, the S5 is a compact and lightweight model equipped with high performance in both still images and movies, targeting a wide range of creators from amateurs to professionals.

In the video specifications, there are some parts where S5 exceeds S1, but I think that you can select it according to the purpose of still image shooting.

Does it support USB PD?

The camera body does not support USB PD, but it is possible to supply power while charging with USB or consuming some battery. Since the charger is PD compatible, quick charging is possible by combining it with a PD compatible AC adapter. We will also develop a battery charger (DMW-BTC15) that comes with a PD-compatible AC adapter.

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1275176.html