Personal View site logo
Panasonic DC-S5 - expensive APS-C camera in disguise
  • 137 Replies sorted by
  • Are rhe same sensor used on this ,S1 and S1H? My main issue with this one seems to be a bad rolling shutter I seen in a test

• @markr041

Hey, as you know the percentage rise of x tells you nothing about the level of x. So, if .001 of Youtube-oriented productions used 60p two years ago, then now .005 use it (5X!). I doubt very much a large fraction of Youtube "productions" (I am not sure what they are) use 60p, and especially 4K 60p.

Well, quite large number of people use 60p now, Youtube also give such videos some priority boost (as far as SEO guys know). Such video are much simpler to stabilize, AF, in Panasonic case, works much better also.

For sports, bike rides, car rides, talking-walking blogs, music and such - 60p is solution.

I personally do not consider any camera that can't keep up at 4K 50/60fps without frame cropping, and have same opinion for 3 years.

• Hey, as you know the percentage rise of x tells you nothing about the level of x. So, if .001 of Youtube-oriented productions used 60p two years ago, then now .005 use it (5X!). I doubt very much a large fraction of Youtube "productions" (I am not sure what they are) use 60p, and especially 4K 60p.

I agree that if one is interested in 4K 60p, this is an APS-C camera, so why not get one that shoots 6K 60P, in RAW, for the same price?

• I dont think it is APS-C camera because film/video production will use Full Frame 24p and 30p most of time and 50p/60p is only for slow motion, so there is no problem using APS-C for slow motion moments.

Number of youtube oriented 60fps production now rose around 5x in last 2 years. Same is true for usual people - they will always prefer 60fps footage.

So, if you are into most mass market segment - it is efficiently APS-C camera.

As for prices, just give it time, they'll back off if sales will be not good.

Panasonic managers who work on L system are total nuts, with profits meetings sometimes being up to 4 per months, despite horrible sales.

• It seems panasonic strategies is to use this camera to keep or raise the price of other cameras. S1 was 2000 now it is 2500.

I think the S5 is not cheap body construction because it is magnesium alloy and weather/dust sealed. So maybe it is a strong body and great features in a small lightweight portable size. Maybe it can handle heavy/ long lenses without using rails/rods.

I dont think it is APS-C camera because film/video production will use Full Frame 24p and 30p most of time and 50p/60p is only for slow motion, so there is no problem using APS-C for slow motion moments.

• @Roedie

Yes, it is all similar.

It is this people and organization that killed camera market, same way as cartels kill development and progress.

• The announcement of this camera seems to have pushed the G9 price back up to $1199

I'm assuming it's related, anyways

• @Vitalyi_Kiselev Small numbers from inside Panasonic I just wonder if this is different then when other companies are involved. I suspect they all do the same.

• I'll be honest, the only thing stopping me swapping out my S1 for this is the poor evf. If it was the same as G9 or GH5 then no question. I remember the resolution of the GH4 and G85 evf and it is not good for photo work

• More of cashback and sales

Large online retailer plans are as follows:

• $1299 price during few hot sales days (other shop talked even about $1199), $1599-1699 price during smaller sales
    • If sales will be not good it will be extra $400 discount if you buy good zoom lens
    • Or can be $300 cashback where you will need to send serial from box via usual mail (as such way company usually pay only around 30-40% compared to instant one).
  • Look how unsure Panasonic is

Panasonic will carry out a cashback campaign targeting the body alone and lens kit of Panasonic S5 mirrorless, offer will work from the release date of September 25.

By purchasing the product by December 6th and applying from the dedicated application form by December 31st, you can receive cashback of up to 30,000 yen.

Japan.

In US and EU Panasonic idea is to hold it longer for more profits.

• Small numbers from inside Panasonic

• Youtube infuencers now allow to produce around 35% of all online preorders*
    • Another 25% comes from mix of some Youtube "review" and some written "review"*
    • Usual review sites are down to 17% of all preorders (Amazon controlled dpreview here gives more than 50% now)*
    • Panasonic controls main core contents and tone for important parts for 100% of all early reviews and previews
      • For most famous infuencers it is not necessary to control them literally, they know all rules and contact proper people themselfs if they have question on how to cover certain complex thing or issue, they know all consequences that will follow if they break even single rule
    • Third party (but Panasonic controlled) firms help to reach necessary and good looking views count for camera review videos
    • Advanced bots are being used on social media and in Youtube comments to further push the material
    • All Panasonic affilated people and sometimes their family members (in last 2 years) must be active in social media and Youtube comments to further help here
    • Number of average income photo enthusiasts preordering Panasonic cameras is dropping fast, in 2010 they had been 3x more represented in the preorders crowd
    • Main focus for Youtube "stars" now is rich part of amateurs with age below 55 years, it has certain consequences, like check on language you will use and such things, so they adapt here.
    • Pre COVID special meetings for infuencers had been specially arranged in good exotic places like islands to help sale cameras to older (>55 years) rich travelers. Panasonic have special plan for post COVID travel with special promotions, prepared videos and special program for infuencers to allow them to shoot in most of popular places.

Note - research made for Panasonic management, numbers only during initial 5 days after announcement (or after preorders start if it is shifted):

• Notice exactly same reviewers team

• In another news Sony has just dropped the price of A7iii in UK by £500. Looks like the price war is heating up. Good times for the consumers!

• it now so complex how dynamics of marketing bad timing a virus and lies can encourage such a level of desperation in big old companies. You need o have lots of data and analysis before buying any shit they literally throw at you by forced publicity.

i work for publicity and really understand some dynamics on this, dear humans we have reached level of no return already, grab to your seats!

• @sammy

also this cam is asking to be hacked

Why you think so?

It has bad sensor, bad old LSI (main reason or 4K APS-C) and cheapened construction.

Plus it belong for almost dead system that can be wiped (silently!) as soon as... February, in case of any new significant COVID cases rise.

• @sammy

In the end it is quite bad APS-C only (in proper 4K modes) video camera due to crop.

• Poor contrast-detect autofocus
    • Poor electronic viewfinder

https://www.engadget.com/panasonic-s5-full-frame-mirrorless-review-140006301.html

S5 is much more cheaply made and not the camera and especially not the system you want to have if you are seriously doing video.

• I wonder in end if this is a better video camera than A7siii

• Good big tip for any buyers and preorders!

Stay away for now, do not preorder, for one month at least!!!

Remember - you are looking at APS-C 4K camera (as all good video modes are such cropped only) with old LSI and very budget construction.

Panasonic thrown almost all money for marketing, bloggers and all for this camera (with cost to produce below $1000). As far as one man told me they will be first time tracking in realtime online orders (in 6 leading shops) per each blogger or youtube channel basis. Let them eat it all. They are desperate as they need to show sold bodies numbers that is now 4 times below their target for 2020.

I had been told that if initial orders feedback won't be nice camera will be discounted up to $1199. As they hope to sell lot unsold batches of lenses with average margins for L mount being in 350% region.