Personal View site logo
New Commercial Shot on Two Hacked GH1's (GH13, GH17).
  • Hey guys,

Check out my latest commercial shot on two hacked GH1's (GH13, GH17). The camera did freeze on the really wide shot, but after I opened up a bit, the write errors went away.

http://www.crashthesuperbowl.com/#/gallery?video=16876

I was using my "Pixelphile Indy Filmmaker Settings" that I did step by step tutorials for a couple of months ago.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/11028#Comment_11028

Shot on a two hacked Panasonic GH1's at ISO 100, 23.976 fps, with a Vivitar 17mm f3.5, Canon FD 20mm f2.8, Canon FL 35mm f2.5, Canon FL 55mm f1.2, Rainbow Imaging FL/FD Adapter and LightCraft Workshop Fader ND.

Hope you like it.

Michael "Pixelphile"
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • It looks great with very good lighting. Are you shoot in HD 23.976?
  • It looks really great!
    But how did you get such a bright look? Of course, it's not only because of the lens and curves.
    Thank you!
  • Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the nice comments. Yup, it was shot at 23.976 at FHD using the AVCHD compression. Thanks to the hack, I didn't have to convert from 29.97. I just captured at ProRes 422 HQ, and did my online edit in Final Cut Pro. I sent some of the shots over to After Effects for compositing and tweaks using Popcorn Island's "Final Cut 2 After Effects" script, http://www.popcornisland.com/2009/03/final-cut-2-after-effects/, which kept the files native without having to re-compress them. I then did a pretty extensive color grade in Apple's Color, then sent the files back to Final Cut Pro for final tweaking and exporting with final audio.

I might do a little behind the scenes making of tutorial to show how the footage looked originally and it looks after grading in Color. The original footage looks nothing like the finished product, it actually looked very washed out and grey. I shot using the Smooth Film Mode, with -2,-2, 0, 0, so I needed to really punch it up during the color grade.

Cheers,

Michael "Pixelphile"
  • Hi pixelphile, nice one :)
    One question though, i know there are many indie filmmakers out there who do "fake" commercials to train or for fun. Is this one of those or is it actually a job you did?
    If it is, where is the commercial aired?

• Hi fatpig,

This is a spec commercial for a contest that Doritos does every year in America called "Crash The Superbowl". They are going to pick five spots that will compete to be aired during the Superbowl. There are almost 3,000 entries, so the odds are pretty crazy, but I am hoping to make it into the finals. A lot of the commercials are shot on 7D's and 5DMK2's, so I thought it would be nice to see how the GH1 stacks up against the competition.

Cheers,

Michael "Pixelphile"
  • Out of a perfect 3/3, it is definitely a 2/3. The girl is sexy and the ending is funny.
  • Just love the idea from this one:

But your character is really great! Possibly could have been even more over the top,... baby oil on rock climber?
  • Thanks guys. I thought that maybe it was too over the top. But after listening to you guys, maybe I should have had her clothes blow off instead:) Would never air, but we would like it:)

Michael "Pixelphile"
  • Over 10,000 views of "Gravity" over on Vimeo! Not too shabby:)
  • I think it's funny. Good job.
  • Nice one Michael. A few years ago my friends Cole and Ben did this one. I think they shot it on a 7D, but I'm not 100% on that. It still plays all over the TV today and they won a bunch of cash. If I'm not mistaken it's actually in the Guinness Book Of World Records for the most watched commercial. It just happened to be on during the time in the Super Bowl where they said more people watched TV at one time then ever before.

• Hi guys. Thanks for all the comments.

We have a new version of the commercial were the girl gets her revenge. You can check out on the new website, http://www.gravityandthegirl.com

Cheers!

Michael "Pixelphile"
  • Just saw the 'climbing' gag while channel hopping and noticed it on 'Failure to Launch'. I like yours better... =)