Personal View site logo
Suggestions for a stationery camera at a music venue
  • I've been asked to rig up a stationary camera for a venue as an output to some TV's via HDMI. On the odd occasion, they might record a few of the events (eg music etc) at 1080 (no 4k for now!) as they just want something they can edit quickly for social media. They saw my setup with a Panasonic GH5 and my 12-35mm f2.8 and wanted a similar quality (but cheaper).

I'm thinking I'll just set up a GH4 which is above the bar that they reconnect every time they have an event. Each event usually lasts about 8-9 hours. They want it to be as easy to plug and play as possible. Their budget is about $1250/£1,000.

I wondered if anyone has done something similar? Will there be any heat issues being kept on for 8 hours? Thankfully, they'll probably only record 2-3 hours of 1080 which shouldn't cause any space issues on the SD cards. Also since a GH4 has a micro HDMI connector, will there be any issues it failing after a while?

Any other suggestions welcome!

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • If it's a locked off cam, with need for remote HDMI viewing, look at: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Quite inexpensive, plus allows remote wired control.

Plus a wide Panasonic lens.